Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2001, 01:05 PM   #1
RadioClash
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello there. If some could kindly help a newbie...

I recently acquired BG II, and I'm very happy with, but I have one major gripe: you can only make one character.

Or am I wrong? Shortly after having escaped the imprisonment, a tip flashed at the bottom of the screen, something to the effect of: If you want to create your own party, play a multiplayer game.

Does anyone know how do do this? Can I create 3 or 4 characters of my own to stomp around BG II? I'm not terribly fond of the NPCs, so if some can give me details on how to do this, it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...
Old 03-21-2001, 01:16 PM   #2
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Create a new multiplayer game and make sure you are the host. Six create character buttoms will apear, you now can create up to six characters but you will miss a lot of character quests.
Old 03-21-2001, 01:20 PM   #3
RadioClash
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2001, 01:20 PM   #4
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Yes. It is obviously your choice, but you should give the NPCs a try, IMHO. They all have a lot of personality and most of them have a pretty cool quest or two associated with them.
Old 03-21-2001, 01:31 PM   #5
Azreall, Master of War
Dungeon Master

Ah, I'll tell u... Not so hard though.

When you start the game and enter the Main Menu, choose Multiplayer and create a new game. Everything will show itself actually, but I'll try to tell you as good as posible.
Choose a LAN game. You'll see 6 empty slots. Press on them and create 6 characters... I advise you to create a balanced party, and not somethin like 6 mages. You need more experience for that. Press on the button in front of the character slot, and start the Game.

Though, I dont like this way of playing. You'll miss some of the Great things that NPCs add to the Game experience. But its your call...

------------------
"Strength and Honour"
Old 03-21-2001, 01:32 PM   #6
deverece
Dungeon Master

You can create your entire group using multiplayer option when starting a new game, but you will be missing a lot. There are 16 NPC's in the game, 3 of them you can get right away. These NPC's are well designed and add to enjoyment of the game. You would be cheating yourself if you don't use them. Especially in your first game.

------------------
Dying ain't much of a living, boy.
- Josey Wales
Old 03-21-2001, 01:46 PM   #7
RadioClash
Elite Waterdeep Guard

What if I mix it up, and create 2 or 3 characters of my own, and the remainder of the party can consist of NPCs? Will that keep me from losing a lot of quests?

And can NPCs be dismissed at a later date? If I have six people in my party and I run into an NPC I really want, what happens?
Old 03-21-2001, 04:43 PM   #8
white heron
Manshoon

Hey Radio Clash,
It certainly WILL NOT spoil your game if you create just 2 or 3 'player characters',-i really like this method.You'll still have room to recruit NPCs as you go through the game.
I don't know why the guy above suggests a LAN connection,because i always choose SERIAL,but these things are beyond me anyway....maybe they both work?
Lets see if i can tell you how...

select 'multiplayer',
select 'connect'
select 'serial'(in my case),
select 'new game'
-now you will be asked to give your game a name...anything will do.
-you will also be asked to enter your own name....anything will do.
Now the screen appears with 6 character creation slots,-each slot has a TICK next to it -ignore them for now.
Click on the first slot and create your first character in the usual way,and then create the others.
When you are done click on the ticks next to each character you have created and select 'done'.
Your game will now commence!
IMPORTANT:You dont have to create all your characters right at the start,because at any time you load your savegame you can create a new character by clicking on a spare slot which will let you do this.
When you finally *DO* have all your chosen characters,it helps alot with loading times to transfer your save from the 'multiplayer save' folder ,to the 'single player' save folder,so you can then play as if it were a normal single player game(the main reason being that Load Times will be alot quicker).
Hope this helps.

------------------
"The temple is I and I am the temple".
Old 03-21-2001, 05:41 PM   #9
Elhardo
The Magister

Oh m8 one drawback I find from Multiplayer...Resting will not heal the party, and pause is dodgy...THis may be changed in patch, but I think that was a purpose thingy magiga