Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2001, 09:28 PM   #1
Chaos Weapon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I believe that Ed Greenwood was the creator of Forgotten Realms. In most of the novels and games I have seen, a Mages firepower quickly becomes exponential of his level. The other classes just cannot keep up. Many of Ed Greenwood's favorite characters (to write about) are magic users. Elminster is hardly a pushover.
Old 03-14-2001, 09:34 PM   #2
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Well, I'm sure you know better than I do about that: but I agree that the Mage is pretty good. Particularly if Single classed rather than multi. However, that is true, in my opinion, of ANY single-classed type. I have a strong suspicion that the Sorcerer is the best Magician of 'em all, and I intend to play one in my next game!
F.
Old 03-14-2001, 09:40 PM   #3
Gabriel
Emerald Dragon

Elminster is not ment to be a push over, he is Ed.
Anyway mages can be stopped with ease in the books, throw stones at them.
As for games, mages have lots power in them but once his last spell is cast he very weak. Besides I playing with a party of mages and it is very hard, an arrow and my plans are ruined
Old 03-14-2001, 09:49 PM   #4
Strahd Von Zarovich
Drow Warrior

In one of the ad&d books, There is a female thief than coined the phrase -- The sword is stronger than the art--
Old 03-14-2001, 09:57 PM   #5
Chaos Weapon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I know how vulnerable mages are. We all do. I'm quite sure it is nessasary though, because they would walk over anything else were it not for magic resistance and other such anti-mage skills/weapons/items.
Old 03-14-2001, 10:06 PM   #6
Gabriel
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Chaos Weapon:
I know how vulnerable mages are. We all do. I'm quite sure it is nessasary though, because they would walk over anything else were it not for magic resistance and other such anti-mage skills/weapons/items.
AS I once told Rikard, I can beat any mage using only Jan Jason.
Hide in shadows, sneak near him. Shoot him with bruiser buster mate, then bolt of biting, then bolts of lighting.
Of which none of them are made to kill only mages.

Besides, a mages against a high level cleric would be have hard time, or even a paladin with his improved saving throws, thives can hide, trap or use poison, ranger shoot from a distance and druids hell, their nearly as good as clerics.
In short, a high level mage can get his butt kick but equally high level character of other classes.
Old 03-14-2001, 11:29 PM   #7
Lifetime
Red Dragon

I agree with Chaos Weapon that mages are generally potentially more lethal at higher levels, (thats why many spells in BG2 are dedicated to countering wizards, and the fact that there are 2 character classes solely for hunting down magic users) but mages are still artillery, not battle tanks. If you look at it, mages are slower killers than fighters when it comes to facing high level enemies because of spell casting time (excepting the use of time stop and speed enhancing spells items like robe of vecna or that Aura Cleansing spell).
In the end, it's how you play the character that counts. While I won't say that all classes are equal, the mage and the fighter are the main and mostly played classes, and tend to be more equally balanced for players choosing might over magic or vice versa.
It's player skill in the end. A good fighter who is well prepared for a magic showdown will always defeat an unprepared, inexperienced mage.

------------------
Why?
Old 03-15-2001, 01:49 AM   #8
Kellin da Mage
Dungeon Master

Alot of the differance can be in who chooses the battle field, and when.

A mage cought upclose and unprepaired will most likely be a corpse in a short maner. Pretty much reguardless of the level. This I say generaly, not all the time. A clever mage will set spells to aid him in times of need, but sometimes that does not help. However if the mage sets the battlefield in his favor (comming out of the shoot protected with spells), and has some distance away from what ever he has to fight, he is a power to contend with. In either case the warrior type is always ready to go. Thuss if your the uncarefull, quick acting type warriors are your favorite. Wile if you play with some caution and forethought, mages tend to be a favorite.

BGII's mages are a little tuffer to deal with because they always seem to get the drop on you and such, but their spell choises are not that great. They rely on failed saves a little too much, and are too slow to go for the big dammageing spells. Such they manage to confuise, and disable most of the party but don't manage to kill them in a timely manner. Eventually the confuision wears off and he runs out of spells, but your still alive and kicking. Copple well timmed fireballs, ice storms, etc and you would be reloading alot more often. Don't let Black Isle know that.

Remember no matter how suddle the the mage.
A dagger between the shoulderblades severaly crapms his style.
--Foxalong Cardluck-- thief

------------------
--Kellin da Mage--
Old 03-15-2001, 02:01 AM   #9
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

oh my god, I better shut up. because this fighter vs mage issue is just terrible.

yes yes, mages are the best, in most of the realm novels. but in BGII, fighter type is the best. mages couldnt keep up with a fighter.

note: that DOES NOT mean mage is not useful. in fact, mage & fighter are both neccessery to make the game easier. but when it comes to mage vs fighter, (yes yes, in BGII only) fighter wins.
Old 03-15-2001, 02:18 AM   #10
Rikard

Mages in the game are a lot better
As long as you know how to play
and a lot of people don't

------------------
The Legend Rikard T'Aranaxz

Master Necromancer
Clanmaster and Mental Father of the OHF