Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2007, 10:04 PM   #1
Dancing Virginia
The Magister

I'm rapidly headed toward the last battle in HoW with the dragon. I read on some other gaming sites that this battle is nigh impossible for low-to-mid level parties. My party is as follows:

Paladin - 20
Fighter/Druid - 13/18
Fighter/Cleric - 10/22
Bard - 27
Fighter/Thief - 8/26
Fighter/Illusionist - 9/19

Do you think I have a chance?

I wish I had more spell slots for my druid and illusionist but thats what I get for taking all of those fighter levels early on.

Also, any tactics and advice you can share on this battle would be extremely helpful.

I tried searching the forum but didn't have much luck seeing as "dragon" brings up every posting with "dragons eye" in it.

Many thanks!
Old 07-01-2007, 10:19 PM   #2
Aerich
Lord Ao

Your party will do fine.

Suggestions are as follows (spoilers abound):

1) Buff up before entering
2) Have quite a few AoE and "crowd control" spells memorized - movement inhibitors and enchantments like Chaos and Symbol: Hopelessness.
3) Summons can save you pain

Upon entering, you will be advanced forward, and so cannot set up a spelltrap or wall of summons first. Have one or two tanks (preferably protected against cold and mind spells) engage the dragon, while the rest of your party backs up (to hopefully avoid her breath). Get some summons up ASAP and maybe even move your tank(s) around so Ich-t switches her attack to your summons. Get movement inhibitors up quickly too, as Ich-t has numerous minions that spawn behind her. Then hammer away with AoE. Once she and her minions are down, heal up, and move west to finish up what you need to do in the area.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:52 PM   #3
Black Swan Gauntlet
The Magister

You should have no problems at all - unless you're on HoF or something, in which case you might have a wee bit of trouble.
Black Swan Gauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:39 PM   #4
Dancing Virginia
The Magister

No, not on HoF, ilhamdililah. Though after this run through I will be tempted to do a HoF game.

But maybe after I've played IWD2 first. If I can ever grasp character building. Why do they have to make it so complicated? Yeesh!