Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2002, 04:22 AM   #1
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I must admit I was kinda skeptical when I heard the hyped up "The game that revolutionizes RPG's" so I held off buying it to see what other people thought.
From reading the reviews plus some of the posts here it seems NWN's is nothing it was cracked up to be. I mean the critics are always harsh but some of the reviews I read were terrible - there seems to be a general air of dissapointment with this game.

I really hoped this would be a good game and really thought the theory of what they were creating here was cool. It's been months now and the closest I came to owning NWN's was when a friend offered to give it to me for free as he too said he didn't like it and still I haven't gotten round to telling him to go ahead and post it! Its weird but from what i've seen I don't feel like i'm really missing out on anything.

I'm thinking the sequel or second game in this genre will be a big improvement -I mean we have all seen BG1 compare to BG2 - they do listen to feedback and make the right changes, guess it's a case of waiting it out till they really start perfecting what they are trying to do here.

[ 10-15-2002, 04:23 AM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]
Old 10-15-2002, 09:32 AM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

For me, the stength of the game and the value of it is found in the Toolset, the ability to play countless Mods, and the increasing potential that it has. That is the real reason I got the game. I really enjoy making my own world for others to run through.
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 06:29 AM   #3
Moiraine
Anubis

Also, from the articles I've read, NWN is supposed to be the first RPGs who is played by broader crowds that just us hardcore gamers. First time I ever seen an article about a RPG in a general newspaper ! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2002, 02:23 PM   #4
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Not everybody hated the SP game, I found it most enjoyable. The thing that is revolutionary about it, as Larry says, is the fact that you can download innumerable modules, for free, plus create your own, which Piestrider likes but I don't. I liked the SP game much better than Morrowind or Divine Divinity.
Old 10-17-2002, 02:41 PM   #5
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

The $59.95 I spent on this game would be a waste If not for the Toolset. I think the Toolset is amazing! The ability it has is well worth a $100.00 to me.
I feel I got a deal. They could have just made It a game creator software package and made money.
Old 10-18-2002, 06:29 PM   #6
magnetism
Manshoon

This is a wonderfull game.. once you no longer bothered with the tired Sp campaign.
Old 10-21-2002, 12:05 PM   #7
myungbass
Manshoon

i have to admit...the GAME is a little lame. I disliked the inventory screen at first, and the radial menu always messed me up (now i find myself playing BGII and right clicking everything) the toolset is the most awesomest (yeah thats right, most awesomest..AND its not comparing it to more than one thing!!! ahahahahah the lord of bad grammar strikes again!) ::ahem:: anyway the toolset is the greatest thing in the world of gaming to me right now. I can create my own mods and play them over and over again. Its all just a mastering of the creator buttons. all in all i like NWN better than baldurs gate I or II or IWD. IWDII is a close 2nd tho. It would be cool if there was a toolset for a baldurs gate game as well...but i doubt that will ever ever happen.
no no! put it on rocco ya look scary!<br /><br />now rocco, are ya sure yer oh-bee kay-bee? ::snicker::<br /><br />Shepherds we shall be<br />For thee, my Lord, for thee.<br />Power hath descended forth from Thy hand<br />So feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.<br />We will flow a river forth to Thee<br />And teeming with souls shall it ever be.<br />In Nomeni Patri Et Fili<br />Spiritus Sancti
myungbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 01:48 AM   #8
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Well i've been looking round a bit more - avoiding critical reviews etc. and have actually decided what the hell, imma get it (after all i'm getting it free!). The one thing that stands out is, as mentioned above, the endless playability potential with mods that are being created everywhere. Thats one convincing reason, the second is the overall appearance of the game interface.

It seems the commercial pics don't do any justice to this game at all and it was only when I saw a post that Ziroc put up (showing pics of a NWN mod he was designing) that I actually started to want this game.
I have a few queries however:

1) can anyone paste out the system requirements for NWN (graphics, speed etc.)
2) These mods that are being created can be played both in SP or MP mode right? or are some specific to different playing environments?

[ 10-28-2002, 02:04 AM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]