Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-16-2002, 05:15 AM   #1
lroyo

I’ve got something that I need to explain to all of you. I am hoping that you will understand what has occurred and not judge me on what was initially a simple mistake!

Before I go on, I want you all to know that I love being part of the Ironworks community. It has been enjoyable, educational and inspiring. On top of all that, I have made some pretty good friends. It’s this last part that has created a rather large dilemma for me! My story goes as follows:

I came to IWF to get some help on a particular part of Baldur’s Gate 2 that was giving me some trouble. I soon realised that I needed to have a user account to go further, so I created one on the spot. Since I was playing Baldur’s Gate 2 as a female Kensai Warrior named Aviendha, I thought it was appropriate to call this temporary account Aviendha.

So, I get the help I need for the game, but before I leave, I see some rather interesting threads and decide to check some of them out. Before I knew it, I had visited many threads and started to rack up some posts. Then I found the General Discussion section, where I found even more interesting threads that I could take part in.

Weeks pass, and I rack up 100s of posts, and have a great time. But then something strange happened that I never imagined would occur. I actually started to make some friends. I started to look forward to chatting to my new friends, and have found them all to be extremely honest, funny, and intellegent people, in whom I have much in common. Ever since I came here, I’ve been nothing but honest with everyone that I’ve spoken to. This includes the religious discussions, the movie and book reviews, the general chit chat in Cloudy’s Café. Except for one thing. I’m a guy!

Now before you start calling me a sicko perverted creep, I want you to know that I have felt extremely ashamed with the situation for quite some time. I didn’t have to admit it! I could have continued on with the deception, and none of you would have been the wiser. Except I can’t do it any more! Some of the guys here have been a little bit flirtatious with me because they thought I was female, and believe me, that’s made me feel completely weird as well! When I posted a picture of me in Stealthy’s, it’s actually a picture of me and my wife, and I entitled it “Aviendha’s Special Day!”, so as not to actually lie. But I admit, it has all been extremely deceptive and I’m sorry!

I have tried to figure out a way of dealing with this situation, but I’ve come up empty handed. If I create a new account and just leave Aviendha behind, I would lose my posts, but more importantly, I would lose my friends. Also, people would probably pick up that I had the same interests, the same birthday, and the same sense of humour as the departed Aviendha. They would also wonder how I came to know so much about other IW members. If I just keep going as Aviendha, I am living a lie, and cut out the possibility of ever meeting any of you (which is something I want to do very much!)

The only other option I can come up with is to simply leave and not come back! If this thread works out the way I think it might, I may have no option but to bid you all farewell! I figure the only way that I can recover from this shitty mess, is if I admit my foolishness and ask you all to forgive me and accept me under a new name. I believe Ziroc can change my name easy enough.

Signing out,
Ben.

PS : I am particularly sorry to Uss, SomeGuy, Yorick, Cloudy, Lady Blue, Johnny, Downunda, Dizzy, Megabot, Melusine, CD, Cerek and Sir M, as I consider you all to be friends, and if it ends here, I will miss you very much!

[ 07-16-2002, 05:18 AM: Message edited by: Aviendha ]

Old 07-16-2002, 05:31 AM   #2
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Doesnt bother me im the slightest. It makes no Difference at all as fas as Im concerned. Ive asked you a couple of times which part of Australia youre in. Again, Id like to know. If youre in the Melbourne area let me know and you can meet one of the members.

Party on DUDE!!!
Old 07-16-2002, 05:32 AM   #3
Lifetime
Red Dragon

*gasps* and *shocks* all around. Nah its good we still love you (eww..)

People that flirt on the net should be more than a little careful anyway. Chill dude nobody has to leave or anything..
Old 07-16-2002, 05:32 AM   #4
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
You feel the need to say sorry to me ? Why ? Actually this is pretty cool, now i can start calling you dude, dude ! For real now, don't you dare leaving this place, or i'll come to Australia personally and drag you back in it. I'm open minded and have a (un)healthy sense of humor, so no, i ain't mad at ya ! I'm just curious, why did you make us think you're a girl ? Or are you taking a very large dump on all of us now ?
Old 07-16-2002, 05:35 AM   #5
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

It was always you that was posting. I might've worded some of my posts different but you're still the same person, a good person.

[ 07-16-2002, 05:36 AM: Message edited by: Downunda ]
Old 07-16-2002, 05:38 AM   #6
Grojlach
Zartan

Yup, a name change is easy enough indeed... Just send Ziroc a PM or e-mail explaining the situation a bit with a new name, and I'm sure he understands your problem.
Can't say I never had my doubts either, though... The lack of emoticons and the commonly used exclamation marks always seem to strike me as a male-ish style, so it's not really a shock... And why feel ashamed about the mix-up? We did the mixing up, right? Not you. [img]smile.gif[/img]
And that people started to flirt with you, even though they were under the impression you were a married female, is their mistake, not yours... Can't say it's not amusing in a way, though. Do I want to see their faces now.

[ 07-16-2002, 05:42 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 07-16-2002, 05:44 AM   #7
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
Yup, a name change is easy enough indeed... Just send Ziroc a PM or e-mail explaining the situation a bit with a new name, and I'm sure he understands your problem.
Can't say I never had my doubts either, though... The lack of emoticons and the commonly used exclamation marks always seem to strike me as a male-ish style, so it's not really a shock... And why feel ashamed about the mix-up? We did the mixing up, right? Not you. [img]smile.gif[/img]
And that people started to flirt with you, even though they were under the impression you were a married female, is their mistake, not yours... Can't say it's not amusing in a way, though. Do I want to see their faces now.
*points to the quote* What he said [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2002, 05:46 AM   #8
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Hey hey hey no hard feelings her and i think you are brave that say this to us all!!!!!
And that you are a man dosen`t bother me the slightest you are cool to talk to and a good writer so that is that.
And i dont want you to leave because of this how can you be without IW anyway? And i think you also can have your nic name as it is to.
So forget this now and contiuning post here on IW and things will be like it was before.
But maby you should shange your sig pic to a male thingie or something ask Willard he can make one for you i`m sure he will be happy to do that!
So be happy now and we will be to Ben!! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[ 07-16-2002, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: Megabot ]
Old 07-16-2002, 06:06 AM   #9
skywalker
Banned User

No problem, as far as I can see! Stick around, your friends here will stand by you, I'm sure.

Mark
Old 07-16-2002, 06:13 AM   #10
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
No problem, as far as I can see! Stick around, your friends here will stand by you, I'm sure.
Indeed. Else they were never friends in the first place.