Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2001, 09:19 AM   #21
MagiK

Whats worse is that even if there was going to be a problem getting supplies in the future, they are raising the price on gas they already had in their underground tanks, so any price rise is PURE profit for the station owner.

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.

Old 09-12-2001, 09:20 AM   #22
skywalker
Banned User

Is there no conscience?

Mark
Old 09-12-2001, 09:21 AM   #23
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Well it didn't take me very long -- 10 minutes for the first car (I splurged and bought premium -- the line was really short = $1.98 gallon). It was so quick I took the other car out -- 20 minutes (I had to wait in line for two people to fill up before I got in = $1.78 gallon).

Here in Illinois (outside of Chicago -- I don't know what's going on there) gas prices thus far are stable. This morning gas was still $1.78 a gallon. The governor did the same thing here, saying that price gouging would be prosecuted.

On the bad side though, I know the price of a barrel of oil jumped dramatically yesterday. Even if consumers or the gas stations wish to avoid it, the suppliers are going to have to pay more for a barrel of oil than they did just a few days ago. I figure this will have an effect on consumers eventually -- even if it takes a few days to trickle down. And then it won't go down quickly. The gas prices never do.

Quote:
An excerpt taken from an Associated Press article:

Contracts of North Sea Brent crude oil for October delivery shot up $3.60 to $31.05 per barrel on the International Petroleum Exchange, before the exchange suspended trading for a half hour. The suspension was later extended to an hour, as staff struggled to process the large volume of trades booked after the spate of bombings. The October Brent price settled back to finish at $29.06 a barrel after trading resumed.
------------------
Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.

"The only medicine for suffering, crime, and all the other woes of mankind, is wisdom." -- Thomas Huxley

[This message has been edited by Father Bronze (edited 09-12-2001).]
Old 09-12-2001, 09:30 AM   #24
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Nice to see that the opportunists are at work here....

You would think that with the huge number of the stations being Owned and operated by people of middle eastern descent that they might want to keep a lower profile....then again I wonder if it is the non-middle eastern descended owners who are doing this?? Id like to see the numbers broken out...

Price Gouging in times of national emergency is illegal and this will probably bring some kind of liability to the owners.

There are plenty of white people in this country who get rich in the oil business. Our president happens to be one of them.

No, I did not say anything derogatory about our president...I merely said that he is among the white Americans who will be making a bundle off of this crisis. PERIOD.
(before tempers flare over me mentioning his name..there are plenty of other white Americans with their hands in the oil and gasoline pie...plenty, other than Dick Cheny though, I can't pull any other names off of the top of my head (well Jeb Bush, George Bush Sr, lol...anyone who has other examples of white Americans who get rich from oil/gasoline, please feel free to post them here! )

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

Old 09-12-2001, 09:31 AM   #25
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

In Denton this morning, it's still running at a $1.38 / gallon near my home. Some places have jumped to $1.55, but for the most part, the prices remain stable for the time being.

I'm glad there are some places that still do have a conscience. I can understand an increase in price to meet the oil price, but $5.00 a gallon in a few hours? That is ridiculous...and the only thing it "fuels" is panic.

------------------
Old 09-12-2001, 10:01 AM   #26
MagiK

Moni, please lets not get into this "rich oilman" thing about Bush, his opponent was no better, Al Gore has heavy investments in Oil as well. What I was pointing out was the rise in prices was NOT due to DISTRIBUTORS (mostly old white guy owned) But STRICTLY due to the Greed of the individual STATION owners A large proportion of which in this country happen to be of Middle Eastern Descent. Give me ONE good reason why Gas they bought at normal prices in their underground tanks HAD to go from the price on Monday to $5+ on tuesday?? The ONLY answer is sheer unadulterated greed. It is called Price Gouging and that is illegal. And as you might have noticed if you read the whole post I was wondering not stating anything as fact as to the nationality of the owners.

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.

[This message has been edited by MagiK (edited 09-12-2001).]

Old 09-12-2001, 10:03 AM   #27
Vampire

Gas? Oh that's what they call it in the US..hehehehe
It depends on the US reaction and the stability in the Middle East.

------------------
Old 09-12-2001, 10:37 AM   #28
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

No offense to anyone here, but this is nothing more than a panicked(sp), ill-informed consumer...I really wish that people would think before they act...filling up your cars with gas in the wake of an attack on the Pentagon and NYC? Oil prices may rise, but there is NO shortage of gasoline in this country and there will be no shortage of gasoline in this country. Let us not forget that most of our oil supply is from countries that are sympathetic to the US.

Don't these people realize that the very action of going out and filling their cars up is what is causing the price to rise? Stupidity and nothing more if you ask me!

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Bossman of Better Funny Stuff.....of the Laughing Hyenas!