Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2001, 08:46 PM   #1
Tancred
White Dragon

I asked a while ago, asking if anyone had come across any Baldur's Gate fan fiction before... and I suppose no-one has. So, I thought I'd send a bit.

Tancred had never felt pain like this before. It was everywhere, from the groggy, dull pain of his legs to the ringing in his head to the sharp, dagger-like pain of the cracked ribs. Every movement, every breath brought a fresh wave of hurt, and now, right now, he wished he was dead. His body screamed surrender. Something must have been torn by that last attack; the muscles of his chest felt wet, as if something was bleeding inside. He couldn’t get up. His tears mingled with his blood, and he knew Bodhi was coming for him. At the last, he knew it was all over, but try as he might he couldn’t summon enough breath even to cry out.
The only things left to him now, the only things he could think about, were the pain… and the hate. Try as he might, pure as he was, he could not stop hating. Sarevok had disgusted him, Irenicus had appalled him, but he hated Bodhi. Somewhere, deep in the cold hells, he was sure Bhaal was smiling. There was nothing left of him, nothing that mattered.
*I hope you’re satisfied, Father.*
Tancred managed to raise his head to speak. Jahiera braced herself for the surrender, the end of her hope, and to cry out her forgiveness… but one look at the Paladin’s face was enough to shock her to silence.
There was a scream. Not any normal scream of terror; this was a shriek that chilled the blood. A thin wail that escalated to a bellow of hate, a blast of dark pain that echoed across the chamber, bouncing back and forth from the walls as if that sound could cross the world, and it came from Tancred’s throat.
Bodhi stepped back, her smile vanished. What she saw before her was not the paladin she had tortured – there was something wrong in his face, something wrong in those eyes.
They were red. Not red with bloodlust; these eyes glowed in the light, red with anger. With murder.
Tancred still bled, but where once there was blood a slow, steady trickle of black, warm fluid oozed onto the floor from the gashes and the bruises in Tancred’s face. The vampires watched, stunned, as the paladin’s body stood up, slowly. Something happened to the skin they could see, as it took on an ebony hue; veins stood out stark black against the flesh, and even black, tainted tears streamed from the ruined knight’s eyes. All that stood out against the darkness were those red, red eyes; and a mad, stretched grin.
Now standing tall, the thing stepped forward, towards Bodhi. One of the vampire maiden’s more enterprising thralls leapt to protect her, charging the thing that was – that had been – Tancred, raising his fists to pummel the human into submission. Tancred didn’t seem to notice his assailant; the first flurry of attacks drove the paladin back, but before the vampire could launch a second series of blows the Tancred-creature aimed a punch at the thrall’s chest.
There was a sickening crunch, and the black-blooded fist smashed through the vampire’s ribcage, splintering his spine and bursting forth from the back of the dead creature. Stale, dead blood dripped slowly the floor. The Tancred-thing withdrew its’ hand, letting the pulverised Vampire fall, and sick joy burbled forth from the thing’s maddened lips. The eyes shone bright. With the voice of a dead god, Tancred spoke, the very words shaking the ground and sending chips of plaster falling from the ceiling. At last, after so long a wait, Bhaal had found a voice in one of his children.
'WHO DARES OPPOSE ME?' It was deafening, the voice an almost physical force that drove those who heard it to their knees. The blackened figure spread it’s arms wide, revelling in the sudden feeling of life, the blooded teeth locked in a rictus of savage glee. Tancred’s fingernails curved into claws, the black blood solidified around him, mottling his flesh and covering the wounds. The paladin’s jaw seemed to dislocate, revealing a row of unpleasantly pointed teeth. As the vampires watched, feeling fear, perhaps, for the first time in their unlife, the man in front of them became something more than a mere mortal. A force that had existed since first man had clubbed another to death for a place at a fire.
Jahiera watched all this with fear, yes – but also sadness. The work of the Harpers, and of Gorion, had finally proved futile. She was in no doubt of what she was seeing. She began struggling at her bonds, realising now that this was her only chance. The vampires were about to become very, very busy, and she was sure that neither Bodhi nor Bhaal would let her live.
Whatever happened here, whatever feelings she might have or companions she might abandon, someone had to tell the world that Bhaal was back.

Tancred

'Tune in next week for the next exciting episode of...'
Old 04-03-2001, 09:01 PM   #2
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
nice,i fell a wave of fan fiction coming on..
Old 04-04-2001, 03:01 AM   #3
Arishan
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Wonderful Story... Most worthy of my first posting.
Old 04-04-2001, 03:51 AM   #4
Lord Shield

If Bhaal comes back, will he want his lawnmower back?

Old 04-04-2001, 05:13 AM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

That's good stuff there, Tancred. Looking forward to next week's installment.

------------------
My name is Memnoch. And your name is...destined to be a footnote in the sands of time.
Old 04-04-2001, 05:07 PM   #6
Tancred
White Dragon

Right! That was a dramatisation of the Transformation scene from Chapter 4. People who have come across that part of the game will notice a few differences from the actual game:

- Jaheira, and therefore I assume the rest of the party are captive bound.
- Tancred, my Paladin, appears to have none of his cool items, equipment, yadda yadda.
- Bodhi has proceeded to beat him to a very creditable pulp at this juncture.

And all this is because, let's face it, the thought of allowing the entire party access to Spellhold dungeon with all their equipment and spells and everything - only to face Bodhi and two henchvampires at the end - seems as internally likely as a lead zeppelin. I, personally, feel my party could have come out on top in that situation. I'm sure you all felt something similar.
So, in the end, it was just this; Tancred, alone, forced to outrun the hunting vamps through Spellhold dungeon. And he didn't quite make it...
Well, that's my attempt. Now, someone else do one! I refuse to believe that on a board of Baldur's Gate fans I am the only one with literary pretensions. I'm writing a followup, but my purpose was to inspire, not to lead. Come on, someone! Tell us about your character in a way only you can - through the medium of fiction!

Tancred

"Helm guides my pa - OOF!"
- Anomen, being himself
Old 04-04-2001, 06:56 PM   #7
Lord Shield

You should read the thread on Planescape vs BG2. 250 and I had some creative writing there

Old 04-04-2001, 07:19 PM   #8
Tancred
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
If Bhaal comes back, will he want his lawnmower back?
Well, I would.

Tancred

If Bhaal's lawnmower was up for auction, what would YOU pay?

Old 04-04-2001, 08:14 PM   #9
Lord Shield

Depends if I wanted to mow or murder the lawn
As I have a leased maisonette and somebody else does the gardening, I don't need it.
KILL ->