Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-12-2004, 03:13 PM   #11
Black Dragon
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
I don't know who he is but he deserves a decent R.I.P. like anyone.
While this is very true ('everyone deserves a decent rest in peace') I can't help but question why we are actually making a special tribute to a musician? Not that I hate his music, I've never heard him. But what makes Dimebag so insanely special than any other ordinary human being? [/QUOTE]Go buy a DamagePlan or Pantera cd, you'll know why, he's one of the best guitarist to have ever played, if you heard him, and you like the sound of an electric guitar, played nicely, you'd understand why so many people are upset... Listen to him play, he uses harmonics insanely nicely, a harmonic vibrato kind've thingy he does often, he's the only guitarist I've ever heard use it so well... So there's your answer dude

[ 12-12-2004, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: Black Dragon ]
Black owns!<br />Dragons rule!!<br /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/blackdragonpic.jpg\" alt=\" - \" /><br /> <b>If the media decided that breathing wasn\'t \"cool\" anymore, half the teenage population would be gone.</b> --Someguy
Old 12-12-2004, 03:48 PM   #12
TheGodThatFailed
Drizzt Do'Urden

Not to be skank, but he's hardly 'one of the best to ever have played'...People like Micheal Romeo, John Petrucci, Janni Lainni(whaddever he's called), Kiko Laureiro...They're some of the best to have played...But i still loved Dimebag's stuff, it had so much power and feeling, why anyone would want to shoot him i don't know.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:57 PM   #13
dplax
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by TheGodThatFailed:
Not to be skank, but he's hardly 'one of the best to ever have played'...People like Micheal Romeo, John Petrucci, Janni Lainni(whaddever he's called), Kiko Laureiro...They're some of the best to have played...But i still loved Dimebag's stuff, it had so much power and feeling, why anyone would want to shoot him i don't know.
Steve Vai, Timo Tolkki, Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani.....
There are a lot of great guitarists out there. Even if Dimebag Darrel was only the 10th or 20th best, still it is a tragic loss, what happened to him.

[ 12-12-2004, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: dplax ]

Old 12-12-2004, 04:10 PM   #14
TheGodThatFailed
Drizzt Do'Urden

I take this chance to point out that Steve vai and Joe Satriani both suck, and are overrated peices of crap. Dimebag wouldn't make it into the 100th best...But, i would choose his music ALOT of people who are better than him. And it doesn't matter how good on the guitar he was, it's the fact that he was a person and he died, that's the reason i'm paying my respects to him.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:14 PM   #15
dplax
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by TheGodThatFailed:
I take this chance to point out that Steve vai and Joe Satriani both suck, and are overrated peices of crap.
That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. I enjoy their music and shall enjoy it even if you say that they aren't good.

Edit: and I am sure that I am not the only one who thinks like this.

EDIT2: Since I do not want to derail this topic any further if you want to continue discussing this feel free to do so in pms.

[ 12-12-2004, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: dplax ]

Old 12-12-2004, 04:20 PM   #16
TheGodThatFailed
Drizzt Do'Urden

Nah, i can't be bothered i have that argument with friends too much anyway. Back to topic, Dimebag Darrell will be sorley missed. Now we've got that off our chests we can move onto other threads.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:48 PM   #17
Blind_Prophet
Symbol of Cyric

Yep its horrible......me and my friends gave a proper tribute to him the other night.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:13 PM   #18
Lucern
Quintesson

When I was 16 Pantera was the first metal band that I realized that I liked, and this was most likely due to Dimebag's playing on the song Cowboys From Hell.

I have two additional reasons why this is tragic...besides the death of a human, and the death of 3 innocents with him. Vinny Paul, drummer for Pantera and Dimebag's brother, was sitting behind him IIRC, drumming at the time. I can't even imagine how that feels. Dimebag was also a genuinely nice guy, and very personable even after the mega-millions from Pantera from what I hear. I wouldn't feel the same if Phil Anselmo died (lead singer of Pantera), because he seems like kindof a jerk. Of course, I don't know these folks...

He had a presence in Dallas/Ft. Worth, where Pantera started out, and owned a heavy metal club. The sad thing is that there's no rock station in Dallas anymore (not one that plays even the most popular metal anyway), so the stations paying tribute to him are basically hypocritical.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:52 PM   #19
Jorath Calar
Harper

I read today that two weeks ago Ansello, Pantera's Singer gave an interview to the Metal Hammer magazine and said Dimebag was the reason Pantera Split up... and said the he (dimebag) deserved some serious beating.

I wonder if this interview was what "inspired" the maniac fan to do what he did...?
Old 12-12-2004, 10:11 PM   #20
Lucern
Quintesson

Interesting Jorath. As I said, Anselmo's kindof a jerk imo. I think I've read the others saying that Anselmo's drug abuse was hurting the band.