Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-24-2004, 09:07 PM   #21
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Well, I downloaded it shortly after posting this, and I don't think I'm going back!
Old 11-24-2004, 11:34 PM   #22
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Another satisfied Firefox user here.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:18 AM   #23
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Ilander:
I use ordinary Mozilla...should I switch to Firefox?
That depends. In the next versions (Seamonkey 1.8 & Firefox 1.1) there will be little difference between them. Firefox's changes are being ported back at the moment, so that they are built on the same version of the engine (or, if you understand the developement process, AVIARY branch is being ported back to the trunk, and Firefox 1.1 will be built from there, or possibly branch after Seamonkey 1.8). As it stands now, Firefox is alot newer than Seamonkey, with more features and better rendering, and so on. But, it is realy a matter of this one question: do you use every single feature (Browser, Mail, Chat, Calendar, HTML Composer) that Seamonkey has to offer? If you don't, I would say your better of with Firefox. If you do, I still think you're better off with Firefox + Thunderbird + Nvu + Sunbird + Chatzilla extension, but many will tell you otherwise. It is, realy, much of a muchness. So long as you keep up with the Milestone versions of whichever one you choose, it is a matter of your own personal choice. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2004, 01:44 AM   #24
JayS
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
Windows XP users can also start Firefox with the commandline switch /prefetch:1 , which will do remarkable things aswell. Just right click your shortcut to it, go Properties, and where it says
"/path/to/firefox"
Change it so that it says
"/path/to/firefox" /prefetch:1
Doesn't windows automatically prefetch applications that you use when you run them for the first time? I notice a firefox entry in my prefetch folder.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:50 AM   #25
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

what is this IE you speak of? (in case no one got that..I use FF) yeah it is alot better than Ie IMO safer, eaiser to use, has (like they said) lots of add-ons that are spyware/adware free, and for the sites that require IE, there is an extension you can download which allows you to open the site in IE (not that I ever bothered)

I give up, spelling is really bad...

[ 11-25-2004, 01:51 AM: Message edited by: Stormymystic ]
Old 11-25-2004, 01:53 AM   #26
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by JayS:
Doesn't windows automatically prefetch applications that you use when you run them for the first time? I notice a firefox entry in my prefetch folder.
It does, yes, but this is a slightly different thing. What it does is to begin downloading links before you click on them, so that when you go to another page, some of the HTML is already there ready to be rendered.

Edited for clarity.

[ 11-25-2004, 02:09 AM: Message edited by: LennonCook ]
Old 11-25-2004, 03:55 AM   #27
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

I'm not quite sure how to do that... it gives me a message saying that the path is not valid...
Old 11-25-2004, 04:19 AM   #28
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Ok, assume that you installed Firefox to the default folder, C:\Program Files\Firefox . So, your shortcut's location will look like this:
"C:\Program Files\Firefox\firefox.exe"
including the quotes. Put the /prefetch:1 (no spaces) on the end of it, so it looks like this:
"C:\Program Files\Firefox\firefox.exe" /prefetch:1
Note that the /prefetch:1 goes outside the quotes, not inside.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:22 AM   #29
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Ah... I used the wrong type of slash My bad!
Old 11-25-2004, 06:56 AM   #30
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
quote:
Originally posted by Ilander:
I use ordinary Mozilla...should I switch to Firefox?
That depends. In the next versions (Seamonkey 1.8 & Firefox 1.1) there will be little difference between them. Firefox's changes are being ported back at the moment, so that they are built on the same version of the engine (or, if you understand the developement process, AVIARY branch is being ported back to the trunk, and Firefox 1.1 will be built from there, or possibly branch after Seamonkey 1.8). As it stands now, Firefox is alot newer than Seamonkey, with more features and better rendering, and so on. But, it is realy a matter of this one question: do you use every single feature (Browser, Mail, Chat, Calendar, HTML Composer) that Seamonkey has to offer? If you don't, I would say your better of with Firefox. If you do, I still think you're better off with Firefox + Thunderbird + Nvu + Sunbird + Chatzilla extension, but many will tell you otherwise. It is, realy, much of a muchness. So long as you keep up with the Milestone versions of whichever one you choose, it is a matter of your own personal choice. [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]A slight correction on this that just came to me (via RSS): according to this recent usenet post by Asa Dotzler (one of the main people of the Mozilla Foundation), the next Seamonkey milestone will be 1.7.5, due out in December. As the post says, Seamonkey 1.7.5 will include the same Gecko version as Firefox 1.0.

[ 11-25-2004, 07:01 AM: Message edited by: LennonCook ]