Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2004, 08:13 AM   #1
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Ex-singer Cat Stevens denied US access
Posted Wed, 22 Sep 2004

A United Airlines flight from London to Washington was rerouted to Bangor, Maine, late Tuesday to prevent Yusuf Islam, the British pop musician formerly known as Cat Stevens, from entering the United States, The New York Times reported on Wednesday.

Islam, who converted to Islam in 1977, was believed to be a financial supporter of groups believed to be linked to terrorism, US officials told the daily.

He was "denied entry into the United States", the officials said, adding that Islam was to be deported without indicating when.

One official said Islam "is not on a watch list for making verbal threats".

The US Department of Homeland Security ordered the Boeing 747-400 airliner to alter its destination to Bangor, where Islam was placed in the custody of Immigrations and Customs officials.

AFP
You know this does seem ridiculous. I mean, how much of a threat is the artist formally know as Cat?

Of course if he were allowed to stay and actually did something bad, people would clamor about the failure of security to recogize even the most obvious and well known threats.

[ 09-22-2004, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 09-22-2004, 12:00 PM   #2
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Perhaps DHS was worried about his past political stances;

• He publicly supported the Ayatollah Khomeini's death sentence for blasphemy against Salman Rushdie in 1989 , although he has backtracked since then.
• He was denied entry into Israel for donating thousands to the civilian-murdering terrorists of Hamas -- although now he denies this too.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:27 PM   #3
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Hey, he may have made good music, but if he funded groups like Hammas and PFLP and all the other jihad-linked charities, I don't want him coming around here. Of course, maybe if they had released all the info about him to the general public and allowed him to go ahead and visit, he may have thought twice about it.
Timber Loftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 12:20 AM   #4
Chewbacca
Zartan

Wait... A flight was diverted 600 miles because of "CONCERNS" that this guy may have given to charities that may be linked to Hammas. No proof, no trial, no charges; just "Concerns". The shame.

It should also be noted that Mr. Islam has openly and publicly denounced terrorism countless times, and has never been convicted of a crime related to terrorism.

The real "crime" here has not been committed by Mr. Islam and it disturbs me that Americans actually support this kind of wasteful activity being taken on such flimsy grounds. It seems to me that "Islamaphobia" once again has reared its ugly head.

Quote:

Link

Mr Islam was denied access to Israel four years ago after claims he had donated money to Hamas, but said he had "never knowingly supported any terrorist groups - past, present or future."

He sold 50m albums before renouncing music for charity and educational work after converting to Islam. He founded several Muslim schools in London and as head of the Islamia Schools Trust has met the prime minister and the Prince of Wales. He donated profits from recent album sales to the September 11 bereaved, saying that no "right-thinking" Muslim could condone the attacks.
Quote:
Link
Islam has made a number of trips to the United States in recent years, including one in May for a charity event and to promote a DVD of his 1976 MajiKat tour. He donated half the royalties from his most recent boxed set to the Sept. 11 Fund to help victims of the attacks.

Recently, Islam has criticized terrorist acts, including the Sept. 11 attacks and the school seizure in Beslan, Russia, earlier this month that left more than 300 dead, nearly half of them children.
SNIP
In a statement on his Web site, he wrote, "Crimes against innocent bystanders taken hostage in any circumstance have no foundation whatsoever in the life of Islam and the model example of Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him."

Old 09-23-2004, 04:40 AM   #5
Donut
Jack Burton

Can someone please tell me why "Paranoia Flight 141" was diverted rather than just turning him back at immigration?

Was it because an American Immigration officer had recently heard the 60's hit "I'm gonna get me a gun" and saw it as a threat?

He has donated money to the families of those that died in the 9/11 attacks and was allowed into the US earlier this year.

The Foreign Minister, Jack Straw, has protested to Colin Powell about the expulsion.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:24 AM   #6
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
No proof, no trial, no charges; just "Concerns". The shame.
The Shame? That's the same thing you hippies cry when a plane slams into a building and you got your hand out wanting money. Not a damn thing good enough for you. You bitch when something is done, you bitch when it isn't. If they'd done nothing, we'd see a Dan Rather special on lax security.

Quote:
Can someone please tell me why "Paranoia Flight 141" was diverted rather than just turning him back at immigration?
Of course that would have been better. So some airline employees made a decision that wasn't as stellar as the decision that would have been made over a 2-hour tea. Big deal. It's just a diverted flight amongst thousands a day, folks. Is it really worth getting your panties in such a big wad over?

[ 09-23-2004, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 09-23-2004, 04:57 PM   #7
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
quote:
No proof, no trial, no charges; just "Concerns". The shame.
The Shame? That's the same thing you hippies cry when a plane slams into a building and you got your hand out wanting money. Not a damn thing good enough for you. You bitch when something is done, you bitch when it isn't. If they'd done nothing, we'd see a Dan Rather special on lax security.

[/QUOTE]Lame argument, Nice ad hominem/strawman.

As a matter of fact this post is so insulting that I have lost any and all respect for you, what little I had left after the "supporting terrorists" accusations a while back.

So come back when you actually want to discuss the issue and have some sort of proof to back up the claims of terror support.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:17 PM   #8
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Ooooh, big latin words. Listen, there's a point to what I just said and you know it. There really is truth to the saying that you can't please everybody. Had they done nothing, you know there really would be a news story on how another threat slipped through. It would at least get a mention in a stump speech. Tell me it wouldn't.

And, I think our long discussion before was about terrorist supporters, and I think if finally gave up and dropped it as well. It's not like I accused anyone here of having the courage, audacity, conviction, or stupidity to strap on a bomb and actually be a terrorist. It was about supporting a side -- and I really don't want to get into it again, cause we beat it to death.

I think you just got so incensed I called you a hippie. [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img] It was just a rant, man. I once had Jerry Bears on my bumper sticker, too. I'm just words you read online, you shouldn't get so offended.

And, I'm really sad if I lost your respect. No... really. Damn, where's that sincerity smiley? I know it's in here somewhere...
Old 09-23-2004, 08:40 PM   #9
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:

Then why not ban all international flights. You won't have to be scared then.

"hippies"?? - you been drinking again TL, or are you still in that 60's time warp!

[ 09-23-2004, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Donut ]
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 09:38 AM   #10
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

It was 4:17 pm here Donut. Only blue collar folks drink at that hour!

Apparently, I'm being unclear again. Look Here.

[edit]Since I didn't know the facts, my opinion expressed above was premised on an "IF."

But now I've looked at a few facts about this yet another fanciful story in our wild world.
http://catstevens.com/

[ 09-24-2004, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]