Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 04-05-2001, 09:38 AM   #1
Stiklestad
Dungeon Master

Hey.... if u can put Keldorn (carsomyr +5) or Korgan (grandmaster axe) or even any other that can be more effective than minsc... why keep him? just because he's a dumb-ass funny? hah... the best he can do is wield the Lilacor for an instance...
Old 04-05-2001, 09:45 AM   #2
Lifetime
Red Dragon

You forget that not all parties might want an Evil Warrior that picks on Aerie and not everyone has the ability to tackle Firkraag for the Carsomyr right off the bat.

------------------
Why?
Old 04-05-2001, 09:45 AM   #3
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

I guess his humor is the reason I keep him in my party! Also at higher levels he starts to get a few cleric spells that can come in handy! But you are right, I think there are better fighters in the game and if you are only going for the hack & slash factor then I would get rid of him.

------------------

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear ignorant,
than open it and remove all doubt!
Old 04-05-2001, 11:09 AM   #4
white heron
Manshoon

I have to disagree!
Minsc can go berserk,use stealth,and wield other weapons apart from Lilacor.
Kit him out with the Red Dragon scale and a couple of Katanas and watch out Evil!
-and with Boo for support you cant do MUTCH better.BTW i find that Korgan is always lagging behind and running to keep up.

------------------
"Readier than a red cheeked maiden my friend!"
Old 04-05-2001, 02:04 PM   #5
Lord Shield

Yeah, and somebody dualled his weapons with Crom Fayr and Celestial Fury and kicked Drizzt's butt, even while Drizzt was being healed!

Old 04-05-2001, 02:44 PM   #6
Rikard

Quote:
Originally posted by Stiklestad:
Hey.... if u can put Keldorn (carsomyr +5) or Korgan (grandmaster axe) or even any other that can be more effective than minsc... why keep him? just because he's a dumb-ass funny? hah... the best he can do is wield the Lilacor for an instance...
I totalely agree
Valygar is better
Kivan was better (why the hell ain't he in BG2?)

Why would you ever take a fake ass bezerker wannabe?

------------------

All Hail the Seventh house Sorcerer
Master Magician of Necromancy
Prince Rikard T'Aranaxz of Natri'x
Clanmaster and Mental Father of the OHF
Ramanish of Neathan'Calith
High Priest and son of the Eternal Phoenix
Shadowlord of the Silver Shield
Baron of Yusliks
Duke of Gerdran
Duke of Tralixz
Lord and General of the Army of the West

AND!!!
Laughing Hyena!!!

Old 04-05-2001, 02:51 PM   #7
Tancred
White Dragon

One thing I find good about Minsc is that he is with you from the very beginning. He gets Exp straight off; I armed him with the Sword of Chaos, and he seemed to kick butt anywhere we went. He soon became an integral part of the party, able to use a longbow and a two-handed sword to great effect. He's a neat fighter!

Tancred

I'm a member of the Minsc Fan Club.
Old 04-05-2001, 03:26 PM   #8
ShadowUK

He's a good fighter,
But it's boo the hamster that rules......

------------------
Old 04-05-2001, 03:35 PM   #9
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Well maybe you are just not using him right.
If you equip him with a top shield and, preferably, a helmet of charm protection so that he has a low ac and cannot be charmed he makes for an excellent tank.
With him, stay away from dual-wielding and two-handed weapons, his dexterity and hps are just not good enough for that IMO. Offensively his thac0 is one of the best and if you equip him with a mace - he already comes with 2 proficiency points in that and there are a couple of very good ones in the game - you have a nice thac0 bonus against most powerful fightertype npcs because those tend to wear plate or full-plate armours and blunt weapons like the mace are the weak spot of these armour types.

And if you have a good-aligned party and roleplaying matters for you, Korgan is no option over a longer period of time, see above. And yes, Keldorn with the HA is a very powerful character and a very good melee fighter, but I have always felt that your main tank, the one who draws the most heat, should be fighting with a shield, so that he has an ac of -10 or below.

All of the above, of course, also depends on your fighting and playing style and the makeup of your party. But, for me at least, Minsc has always been very very serviceable as my main tank.

------------------
So long !

R³ - new, much improved signature under construction !

Old 04-05-2001, 03:55 PM   #10
The Xlord
Dungeon Master

YOU HATE MINSC???
I CAN'T BELIVE IT!
IF YOU SAYS SUCH CRAP AGAIN I MAY...

The Xlord
Go for the eyes Boo! Go for the eyes!

------------------
Defender and master of Good archmagic
Homepage: http://www.nwh.itgo.com