Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2001, 10:31 PM   #71
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
I HAVE read the whole thread, actually, Yorick! And I was using the word 'listen' perfectly correctly. But it is, as you say, perfectly possible to listen without agreeing. I often 'listen' to what people say without agreeing.

To 'listen' means to hear the words and UNDERSTAND, whether one agrees or not.

BUT angry or hurt people do not 'listen' and 'understand' because they cannot, at that time. Oh, their HEADS may understand, but not their hearts, not their feelings. I have often understood with my head that something is correct/incorrect, but my feelings, my heart went absolutely contrary to what my head said! I'm sure you have been in that state too!
I'm perfectly aware of what listen means. I'm perfectly aware it means understanding, reception comprehension. That is my point.

Who here was hurt, angry, wounded? Certainly not I. Do you mean to tell me that because I disagree passionately the only explaination you can resolve is that I was hurt or wounded and so did not understand or hear?

I'm sorry Fjlotsdale but it is intolerance. It is refusal to acknowledge that you could be wrong and that all that remains is for you to get me to understand your view.

Whether you intend it or not it is highly insulting and hampers discussion. Respect is paramount to discourse.

I repeat, since you seem to have ignored my statement, that Dio made an assumption without key information. A factor you seem to blithely disregard in your statement about me not listening.

No I am not hurt, wounded or angry; merely being matter of fact. Discussion is impossible if you refuse to allow another the right to a different opinion. The right to look at a picture and draw different analysis.

Thankyou m'girl

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 09-23-2001, 10:36 PM   #72
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

Quote:
Originally posted by The_ Fur_Cough:

There has already been military action. According to BBC radio reports this morning (GMT) SAS troops have been in firefights with the Taliban. Incidentally, the Taliban aren't strictly (or at least haven't been proven to be ) the enemy per se and in their war with Russia they were aided and abbetted by the SAS, this time they are up against them. I do feel a little sorry for them, this won't be like the affair with Russia.

You're right about it not being like the war with the USSR. The USSR was pushing the Afghanis out until the west started suppling them with "stingers" to knock down M-24 Hinds, and training that turned the tide of the war.

------------------

"the memories of a man in his old age,
are deeds of a man in his prime"
Old 09-23-2001, 10:36 PM   #73
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Liliara:

This could probably still be avoided if they would just give up bin Laden, his Leutenants, shut down terrorist bases, and allow the U.S. access to them to make sure they are no longer operating. (Let's all hold our breath!)

I wouldn't, Liliara. The Taliban have unfortunately 'lost' bin Laden - they went to tell him to leave, but seem to have misplaced him.

------------------

Goddess and Sorceress of the HADB, and her sidekick Pink
Old 09-23-2001, 10:48 PM   #74
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
I wouldn't, Liliara. The Taliban have unfortunately 'lost' bin Laden - they went to tell him to leave, but seem to have misplaced him.

Ahh yes, teh old "HE's buggered off" trick! LOL

------------------

Captain of Bouncers, Boogre Bar

LH Member

And you never did think that it ever would happen again, in America did you? And you never did think that we'd ever get together again, but we damn sure fooled ya. We're walkin' real proud and we're talkin' real loud again, in America. And you never did think that it ever would happen again.... (Charlie Daniels)
Old 09-23-2001, 10:49 PM   #75
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Yeah, funny that.

Thanks Liliara

------------------

Old 09-23-2001, 10:51 PM   #76
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Yeah, funny that.

Thanks Liliara

Think nothing of it. I call 'em as I see 'em.

"HOME RUUUUUN!!!!!!!!!!"

------------------

LH Member

And you never did think that it ever would happen again, in America did you? And you never did think that we'd ever get together again, but we damn sure fooled ya. We're walkin' real proud and we're talkin' real loud again, in America. And you never did think that it ever would happen again.... (Charlie Daniels)
Old 09-23-2001, 10:53 PM   #77
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

Quote:
Think nothing of it. I call 'em as I see 'em.

"HOME RUUUUUN!!!!!!!!!!"

Take your bases and remmeber to wave to the crowd as you round 3rd.

------------------

"the memories of a man in his old age,
are deeds of a man in his prime"
Old 09-23-2001, 11:11 PM   #78
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by John D Harris:

Take your bases and remmeber to wave to the crowd as you round 3rd.

[/B]

------------------

LH Member

Old 09-23-2001, 11:12 PM   #79
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Sent you a mail Amanda. Talk soon...

------------------

Old 09-23-2001, 11:49 PM   #80
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:

As of late only two countries even recognize the Taliban as a legitiment governing body. (Please forgive me if I'm wrong on wich two but I believe they are Pakistan and Iraq)

Hi Liliara...welcome to the peaceful discussion

Not being picky but I think the two remaining countries that recognize the Taliban are Saudi Arabia and Pakistan...the United Arab Emirates recently changed their stance. Iraq never officially recognized the Taliban, as to not incure more sanctions, but did so 'unofficially'.

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Bossman of Better Funny Stuff.....of the Laughing Hyenas!