Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-26-2001, 05:30 PM   #151
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Who are you talking to here Nachtrafe? I posted already that 7,000 are dead, so you can't be talking to me can you?

LOL...sorry for the confusion Yorick. I was replying to G'Kar specifically, and anyone else who keeps talking about "When we have casualties". That sort of thinking pisses me off. I should have edited the post a bit better. Again, sorry.

Just on a side note. I find it interesting that someone who is not even an American knows so much about the situation and is so obviously passionate in his defense of America. Thanks Hugh! Means a lot to us that there are people all over the world who understand and are willing to speak up too. Kudos!

------------------
"In Memorium of those who are gone, and all those that bought our freedom with their hearts blood!"

"May the Colors of Liberty never run"
Old 09-26-2001, 06:07 PM   #152
G'kar

Quote:
Originally posted by Nachtrafe:
LOL...sorry for the confusion Yorick. I was replying to G'Kar specifically, and anyone else who keeps talking about "When we have casualties". That sort of thinking pisses me off. I should have edited the post a bit better. Again, sorry.

Just on a side note. I find it interesting that someone who is not even an American knows so much about the situation and is so obviously passionate in his defense of America. Thanks Hugh! Means a lot to us that there are people all over the world who understand and are willing to speak up too. Kudos!

I officially restate "when we have lots more casualitys than the world has already endured" is that better

By the way, isnt a little oxymoronic that the word casual, can be found in the root of the word casualities? I find nothing casual about killing or being killed.

Old 09-26-2001, 06:17 PM   #153
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by G'kar:

By the way, isnt a little oxymoronic that the word casual, can be found in the root of the word casualities? I find nothing casual about killing or being killed.

Majorly bizarre. Someone was talking about 'friendly casualities' on another thread a few days ago. I found that somewhat chilling. (I think he meant 'collateral damage'. Ooh er.)

------------------

Ascended Mistress of Illumination
Old 09-26-2001, 06:28 PM   #154
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
I officially restate "when we have lots more casualitys than the world has already endured" is that better

Not to sound pedantic...but yes, it does sound better. Thank you. I wasn't trying to be personally insulting. It just angers me that people think that the American resolve is going to erode 'when there are casualties'. You see that phrase in the media all the time now. It pisses me off to no end.

G'Kar....On a personal note. I like reading your posts. I hardly ever agree with them, as regards the current subject, but I always like reading them. I'm officially going to agree to disagree with you and look forward to many more spirited debates. *extends hand*

And yeah...I agree about Casual/Causalties. Strange juxtaposition.

------------------
"In Memorium of those who are gone, and all those that bought our freedom with their hearts blood!"

Old 09-26-2001, 07:08 PM   #155
G'kar

Quote:
Not to sound pedantic...but yes, it does sound better. Thank you. I wasn't trying to be personally insulting. It just angers me that people think that the American resolve is going to erode 'when there are casualties'. You see that phrase in the media all the time now. It pisses me off to no end.

G'Kar....On a personal note. I like reading your posts. I hardly ever agree with them, as regards the current subject, but I always like reading them. I'm officially going to agree to disagree with you and look forward to many more spirited debates. *extends hand*

No personal offense taken, I did use that phrase a bit incorrectly and I thank you for pointing it out. I agree to disagree as well. *graciuosly recieves Nachtrafe's hand with his own* Til our words clash again...

Old 09-26-2001, 07:18 PM   #156
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:

I think the root is 'cause' for both words. And one sense of each is 'chance, accidental' according to my Little Oxford dictionary. My main dictionaries are downstairs and I'm too lazy to go look.
So not that bizarre after all!

------------------

Old 09-26-2001, 07:39 PM   #157
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Actually casual derives from the latin word casus {event} and casualty derives from casual (when casus is changed to casualis, which has a double meaning...event or fortuitous)

In old french the words seperated with casualitis {casualty} meaning chance, accident

The words stayed seperate in Middle English...with casuelte and casuel

The root of the word is actually case
------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Bossman of Better Funny Stuff.....of the Laughing Hyenas!

[This message has been edited by Moridin (edited 09-26-2001).]
Old 09-26-2001, 08:54 PM   #158
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Liliara:
By the way, how do you think that you recieved the right to express what you feel? Wars were fought, brave men and innocent people died. I'm not saying I want the innocent to die. Our government that you seem to have such a distaste for, (although some may be bastards) don't want to see innocents die. But if you are wondering what violence gets, well, in some cases it gets freedom. Whether you want to admit it or not, our freedom has been challenged. If you don't agree, how would you like every phone call that you make recorded? It may well happen if we allow this to go on without violence. We have tried all we can (The U.S, offered Afghanistan aid for their coutry today if they would only hand over bin Laden) and it has failed. All you have today can be attributed to 'violence'. Sorry to break it to ya.

It seems to me that those Americans who are the quickest to push to fight wars with gung ho spirit are often those who least understand what principles of freedom and tolerance and the price of liberty really mean.
Old 09-26-2001, 09:00 PM   #159
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
ummm I respect your beliefs, but All I have today I attribute to love and to the divine. Violence is one little aspect of human behavior. By the way, the civil rights movement was won by being non-violent. Today I have legislation that protects me from dicrimination thanks to people who chose non-violence. Ralph nader made our cars and other products safe, and didnt do anything violent. I could go on and on. There is always a choice, and I respect your right to believe in one possible course of action, but it ISNT the only one. Express your patriotic joy that we are possibly going to war all you want, but by questioning anyones loves of thier country because they can see other solutions, you only show how narrow-minded you really are. Yes thats harsh, but sometimes the truth is.

And if you think I have distaste for the basic ideals of our goverment, you are WRONG! VERY VERY Wrong. I just dont hafta flout my love for life,liberty, and the pursuit of happiness around for everyone to see, its safe and sound in my HEART where it belongs. One of those ideals, written into the basic foundation of law is the right to petition greivances against the goverment. I will and I do.

Sure violence happens, has happened and will happen. Good has come from it in some circumstances like you pointed out, bad in more. Given a choice, I'll take non-violence.

I know you have no respect for my beliefs, thats obvious, and I wont lose sleep over it, but I will stand up to the ignorant stereotype that because one is a consciencous objector thats means one is not really patriotic, or one doesnt really love their country because it is incorrect.

The current situation is only two weeks old...how could we have tried all our options in such a short span of time? The investigation continues. Whatever the outcome, we are all in it together.

[This message has been edited by G'kar (edited 09-26-2001).]
Excellent post, G'kar
Old 09-27-2001, 02:30 AM   #160
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
No personal offense taken, I did use that phrase a bit incorrectly and I thank you for pointing it out. I agree to disagree as well. *graciuosly recieves Nachtrafe's hand with his own* Til our words clash again...
Cool. *Shakes hands* Although, I *did* just agree with you in another thread. What's the world coming too.

------------------