Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 07-31-2005, 11:32 PM   #11
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Yeah, if you want to use magic items, the Use Magic Device skill for rogues can be very handy. Much better than taking a level of magery just for that. Something to think about next time.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 02:30 AM   #12
Ale_beer
Elite Waterdeep Guard

hmmm, thanks for the idea. Im only new to this game. I wanted some levels of rogue, but can only have 3 differrent classes in a char.

Question. In earlier games(IWD2) i thought the 'use magic device' was a bit of a con. Has that been improved in NWN? Will my rogue fail to use a wand or spell for example?

Thanks
Ale_beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 06:45 AM   #13
Legolas
Jack Burton

Modules can be altered to require a UMD check whenever a UMD user tries to read a spell scroll. But in the official campaigns and most others, that's not being used. With a bit more effort it can be increased to include wands if you like, but that'd be a true rarity to see.

UMD works by letting you ignore set item restrictions like class, race and alignment. The higher your skill, the more expensive (=powerful) items you can use. The more restriction types on an item you do not match, the harder it is.

It is not, by the way, the same as BG2's Use Any Item, as you'll still need the right weapon, armor and shield proficiency feats.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:27 AM   #14
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

In that instance, I thought it much improved too, although I will admit to cheesing it in BG2, nothing like a rogue in full plate, using a two handed sword... Even w/out the checks, some stuff will not just be useable, as Legolas said. The higher the skill, the better, but for using wands and scrolls, you could get by with probably 10 points, plus int bonus.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote