Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 01:54 PM   #1
Redcodekevin
Dungeon Master

I came up with this idea when looking for a way to really exploit the elemental feats (spirit of fire, aegis of rime, etc.), 'cause, for example, wizards don't get either Fire Storm or Searing Orb and Druids get them both. both times I have build it I thought of druid 13/necromancer 17 (Necromancer for the extra spell and because they don't miss any spell that make damage of a particular element.) I would like to see your opinions on this character.
As a side story, my girlfriend, who is a heavily RPG- oriented player, says this character is unnatural (I don't get what's so wrong about a druid casting Meteor Swarm), but I tell her a druid obssessed with the beauty of fire can study arcane arts to get a better dominion of flames. What do you think of this, too?
Old 10-21-2005, 09:25 PM   #2
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

I think the necromancer specialty is tough to justify from a RP perspective as Druids think undead are an affront to nature:

"Druids gain power not by ruling nature but by being at one with it. They hate the unnatural, including aberrations or undead, and destroy them where possible."

I would think for what you're going for, something like Evoker would fit in better.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:21 AM   #3
Xaltar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Agreed, although it would be a powerful combo it just isn't realistic. Envoker/ Enchanter maybe
Old 10-22-2005, 10:41 AM   #4
Redcodekevin
Dungeon Master

Do you think (as sometimes I do) that Druids should hae Meteor Swarm? I mean, it's a natural spell, in some way.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:15 AM   #5
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Meteor Swarm does somewhat seem like a natural spell, but it could be said that causing meteors to come out of orbit an rain down on the earth is a very unnatural thing.

As for the class, if you are going for a firey priest, then just make a fighter4/cleric of lathander. Lathanderites get great fire spells for their domain spells, including meteor swarm. Also, since you only need WIS as a casting stat, you can be more melee oriented with your attribute points than a druid/mage.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 04:19 PM   #6
Redcodekevin
Dungeon Master

I also thought of a morninglord, but then... Wizards -specialized ones- woould get multiple casts for meteor swarm when reaching level 17, and that combined with drui lvl 11 (which gets fire storm) seems much like a firemaster to me. That's why I switched to druid. So I have an elemental druid/wizard. Why necromancer: I use necromancer because it's a specialized (+1 spell) and loses the least spells of all 8 specialized wizards.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:34 PM   #7
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Of course, its just about impossible to get to those levels in the game. In fact, without the Ease of Use mod that makes you get at least some xp for each kill, it is impossible to "max out" even with HoF. I would see the cleric at level 17 to be equivalent to your proposed build at level 28.

I would make the decision based on the rest of your party: If you are already mage heavy, then go for the priest. If you are already priest heavy, then try out the druid/necro.

Another possibility is to just stick with a pure druid and Dalekeep yourself Meteor Swarm.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 02:26 PM   #8
Redcodekevin
Dungeon Master

But I've maxed levels before...
And no ease-of-use (for some reason, I dislike the changes!)...
Old 10-26-2005, 06:24 PM   #9
Redcodekevin
Dungeon Master

And as for rpg-playing, I think Savra, queen of the Golgari (from Magic: the Gathering latest expansion) fits for a druid/necromancer.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:17 PM   #10
Western Paladin
Dungeon Master

I actually think of Savra as more like a Shadow Druid (someone like Faldorn in the original Baldur's Gate). The Sisters of Stone Death might be an Enchanter (to lure enemies to them), a Transmuter (to turn them to stone), and a Necromancer (to reanimate the dead ones).

"We saved the world. I say we party." -- Buffy
Western Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote