Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2003, 02:09 PM   #1
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Ah! This is what I was looking for. I saw on TV today, an Australian MP, was heckling Bush but couldn't make out if it was something in Bush's speech or something else. This article does not give any more details either but I take it they were upset how the US as handled some of their citizens by not handing them over to Australia.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.abc.net.au/news/australia...3oct2003-9.htm

Two Greens Senators have been banned from Parliament for 24 hours after yelling out in protest during US President George W Bush's speech.

Mr Bush appeared unfazed after Senators Bob Brown and Kerry Nettle were ordered to leave today's joint sitting of Parliament.

"Sergeant will remove Senator Nettle," Speaker of the House Neil Andrew said.

"I love free speech," Mr Bush said.

But the Senators, wearing photographs of the two Australians detained at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba, defied the Speaker's orders and remained in the chamber.

Their attempts to present a letter and photograph to Mr Bush were stymied by Government MPs who stood between the senators and the President.

Senator Nettle says she was shocked and disturbed by their conduct and comments allegedly made by Senator Ross Lightfoot.

"To the effect of 'you should go off and die'," she said.

Senator Lightfoot's office says he merely told Senator Nettle to go away.

The disciplinary motion passed against the Greens senators means they will not be permitted to attend a Parliamentary address by China's President tomorrow.

[ 10-23-2003, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 02:45 PM   #2
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

What get's me every time is that Bob BROWN is leader of The GREENS.

Really he should have shut up. I voted Green when in Australia, and hardly admire George "the American way of life is not negotiable" Bush, but that's just stupidly rude behaviour to a guest only in town for 21 hours.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 04:49 PM   #3
Maelakin
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
hardly admire George "the American way of life is not negotiable" Bush, but that's just stupidly rude behaviour to a guest only in town for 21 hours.
Here is something I can agree with you on fully Yorick. It doesn't matter who you are, when you go to another's "house" have some respect.

I also agree on the level of Bush admiration. Only a little longer hopefully till he is gone...
Maelakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 05:22 PM   #4
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Maelakin:

It doesn't matter who you are, when you go to another's "house" have some respect.

But Bush, was the guest.

[ 10-23-2003, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 05:30 PM   #5
Maelakin
Drow Warrior

I should reword that. 8^P
Maelakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 06:44 PM   #6
Skunk
Banned User

A lot of people talking about respect - but respect is a two way process. The imprisonment without trial of two Austrailian citizens abrogates any respect that the country's parliamentary members owed to the visting politician.

The Austrailian parliament is, afterall, the symbol of that country's democracy and principles of freedom and equality under the law. I can not see why its members would feel duty bound to welcome someone into midst who has proven by his actions to have no respect for those principles (or indeed its citizens).

[ 10-23-2003, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: Skunk ]
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 07:21 PM   #7
dragon_lord
Elminster

It doesnt matter if you dont agree with president Bush's actions or not, Brown should of respected the office and kept quite will he was speaking - it would have been the 'honourable' thing to do. Instead of playing politics - hes been crying all week over the fact that the public wasnt going to be allowed into parliament while Bush was there.

[ 10-23-2003, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: dragon_lord ]
[img]\"http://unrealpowerhouse.ozforces.com.au/lich_des.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />[url]\"http://www.flatface.net/~itemsmart/\" target=\"_blank\">The Items Mart</a><br /><br />[url]\"http://www.flatface.net/~itemsmart/misc.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Monster Enchantments and Immunities List</a>
dragon_lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 06:02 AM   #8
Donut
Jack Burton

Bush is coming to Britain on a State Visit next month. He is the first US President to do so since the Queen was crowned. It means he gets the full ceremonial reception.

He also gets this

"British Protesters Plan to Topple Bush Statue"

Posted by Jean Shaw
Saturday, October 18, 2003

British anti-war protesters must be bored, because they’re already working on creative ways to protest when President Bush visits England next month. And in typically juvenile fashion, they plan on toppling a mock statue of Bush, much the same way that Iraqis brought down the statue of Saddam in Baghdad.

Andrew Cawthorne, writing for Reuters, describes the mounting excitement of the British Bush-Bashers.

Anti-war protesters plan to topple and dance on a mock statue of President Bush in the center of London as part of demonstrations to ''blight'' his visit to Britain next month.

Their re-working in Trafalgar Square of the famous humiliation of a Saddam Hussein statue in Baghdad six months' ago will be among running protests including marches and a mock trial of Bush planned around his November 19-21 state visit.

''People are excited about the prospect of opposing George Bush because they feel this visit adds insult to the injury already caused by the Iraq war,'' said Lindsey German, of Stop the War Coalition, one of various groups planning the events.

''Wherever he is, from the moment he arrives to the moment he goes, there will be protests of one sort or another,'' she added at a news conference on Thursday.

Bush is coming to Britain at the invitation of Queen Elizabeth and will spend time with his close ally Prime Minister Tony Blair reviewing the problems in postwar Iraq.

Both men have paid heavy political prices for going to war without a United Nations' mandate and then failing to find weapons of mass destruction. Their domestic popularity has fallen, relations with some international allies have cooled, and their names are reviled by anti-war protesters round the world.

The British groups, who brought a million protesters onto the streets of London before the war in February, said at Thursday's news conference they expected hundreds of thousands to participate in Bush protests around the nation.

Some demonstrators were planning to come from the United States and Europe, they added.

A petition has been launched to ask the British government to cancel his visit, and, assuming that will not be heeded, a mock state procession will be staged and a ''Goodbye George'' concert held the day he leaves.

''This will be a November to remember. I think it will be a bonfire of the vanities of Bush and Blair,'' said legislator George Galloway, whose radical anti-war rhetoric has seen him suspended from Blair's ruling Labour Party.

Galloway said he hoped images of protests in Britain would help turn the political tide against Bush in the run-up to the 2004 U.S. presidential election.

''Whilst we bear them (Americans) absolutely no ill will, indeed the opposite, we hate their president and think he is one of the world's most dangerous men,'' Galloway said. ''They should take the opportunity they have next November to do the world a favor, as well as themselves, and get rid of him.''

At their meeting to announce plans ''to blight the U.S. president's visit to Britain,'' the protest organizers mocked Blair's advisers, whom they said ''needed their heads looking at'' for accepting a Bush visit at such a politically delicate time for their boss.

''People can't believe the stupidity of inviting Bush to Britain,'' said Liz Hutchins, of the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 04:57 PM   #9
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

Oh no! The lefties in the UK are going to protest Bush! Oh what will we ever do? Of course I myself would just ignore them. All they'll end up doing is whine, bitch, and moan. If these people ever got all the things they want it would spell the end of the UK. Just as they will destroy any other country that falls for their insanity.
khazadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 05:08 PM   #10
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by khazadman:
Oh no! The lefties in the UK are going to protest Bush! Oh what will we ever do? Of course I myself would just ignore them. All they'll end up doing is whine, bitch, and moan. If these people ever got all the things they want it would spell the end of the UK. Just as they will destroy any other country that falls for their insanity.
But isn't he visiting the "Evil Lefties who want to destroy the world"? I thought Blair was left? [img]tongue.gif[/img] (though not as left as you could be )

[ 10-24-2003, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Spelca ]