Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2002, 10:23 AM   #1
pinworm_
Welcomed New User

i've got winxp home edition on amd 1.8G with 256 ram
3dfx voodoo 3, sb live value
having upgraded to xp, all my games are screwing up during installation.
At about 33% i get "catastrophic failure" and my cdrom drive spins wildly for a while before the application shuts down.
The same thing happens for mohaa and disciples 2!
any help will be greatly appreciated!
pinworm_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 03:01 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

Sounds like a problem with you CD-Rom - try cleaning the lens on it.

Use a standard lens cleaner, availble from anywhere. Even one designed for PSX or something will work.

Dont use it on a CD-R though, then lenses in those are different and can be destroyed more easily.

Another problem might be that you upgraded to winXP - apparently there are some problems doing this and a clean XP install works better.
Old 03-02-2002, 03:43 PM   #3
Harry
The Magister

Location: The Land of naked fraulicing nymphs where your every desire comes true
it's a cdrom problem. i had that on my old cd rom.
Old 03-02-2002, 10:55 PM   #4
pinworm_
Welcomed New User

i don't think it's a cdrom problem in my case.
i've copied all 4 cds to my drive and installed from there.
and the same thing just happens!
pinworm_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 10:55 AM   #5
DIRT
Elite Waterdeep Guard

You could try re-installing an earlier operating system like 98SE, another thing I would chech is your RAM I built a system that did somthing much the same as you are describing, it was a faulty RAM module. Worth looking at anyway.
DIRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 10:27 PM   #6
SPeeDy51
Elite Waterdeep Guard

pinworm,
It's a Win XP problem.
I recently moved up from a PII Win-98 to a Sony Vaio P IV workstation with Windows HomeXP. I have the same problem with BGII's install, and BGI won't install at all! BGII will only perform a 'Recommended' size install. It crashes if I try to perform a full install, and I have the same symptoms that you have experienced. At least it still runs on the partial install. BGI fails on loading several files, but allows me to continue the install. Then, it fails to initailize whenever I try to start the game.
Shortly after this change change of systems I picked up a back copy of PC orld with a lead article about the software incompatabilities in XP,...wouldn't you know.
I've been watching MicroSoft for news about fixes to these problems, but haven't seen anything so far. I guess that the 'bug factory' is still busy fixing the security issues. I have three of those fixes now and still have trouble with my firewall too!
SPeeDy51 is offline   Reply With Quote