Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 11-03-2003, 01:58 AM   #1
Haldir
Manshoon

Can you really kill him, when you talk with him? How does this go?

[ 11-03-2003, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Old 11-03-2003, 02:44 AM   #2
Xzirox
Manshoon

Spoiler
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~The easiest way to kill him (also a cheesy way) is to pause the game, talk to him then attack him and unpause......you will hurt him alot(if you are lucky) before he attacks

Thats the cheesiest way
Old 11-03-2003, 05:13 AM   #3
Faceman
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Xzirox:
Spoiler
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~The easiest way to kill him (also a cheesy way) is to pause the game, talk to him then attack him and unpause......you will hurt him alot(if you are lucky) before he attacks

Thats the cheesiest way
The cheesiest way is to use fake-talk all through.
Talk to him (not actually just select talk and click on him), attack him (immediately after you have selected talk), talk to him again before his circle turns red, attack, repeat ad nauseam.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:28 AM   #4
dragon_lord
Elminster

My advise is to wait till chapter 6, so your party is around lvl 14. Then you should be able to take him easy, try not to resort to cheesy tactics like setting traps before hand etc though. However still pre-buff your party with things like protection from fire, bless, remove fear, haste etc. Get your mage to use lower resistance on him once combat starts as it will enable him to fully use his spells like greater malison with feeblemind ( [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) or pound him with magic missiles (always works). Raising skeletons for cannon fodder is also a good choice.

Come up with your own tactics and keep trying, eventually you will be standing triumphant over firkraag's dead body.
[img]\"http://unrealpowerhouse.ozforces.com.au/lich_des.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />[url]\"http://www.flatface.net/~itemsmart/\" target=\"_blank\">The Items Mart</a><br /><br />[url]\"http://www.flatface.net/~itemsmart/misc.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Monster Enchantments and Immunities List</a>
dragon_lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 01:08 PM   #5
GodzGift
Dungeon Master

spoiler
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
finger of death worked wonders for me on o'l firkragg
GodzGift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 02:34 PM   #6
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Quote:
Spoiler
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~

Thats the cheesiest way
For me this is not cheese but cheat.

Sure you can do it. Just buff up with some Fire Protections and all other spells before this kind of battels and you are ready to roll.

[ 11-03-2003, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: Xen ]
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 02:42 PM   #7
Faceman
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
quote:
Spoiler
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~

Thats the cheesiest way
Fot me this is not cheese but cheat.

Sure you can do it. Just buff up with some Fire Protections and all other spells before this kind of battels and you are ready to roll.
[/QUOTE]Well, technically it's cheese not cheating, but it's like the worst cheese ever, as it's not even about abusing weak AI but plain gameplay mistakes.
So play fair guys, I know you want the AI to do so, too. (And it will unless you install tactics )
Old 11-03-2003, 05:42 PM   #8
pokeygamma
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Sometimes I wonder if I got really, really lucky. I tried killing Firkraag for the very first time last weekend, and succeeded, on the first try.

My party, main weapons:
Corilon (elven fighter/mage), dragon gear (the helm, shield, and long sword found in that dungeon)
Minsc, Lilarcor (Swing harder! Swing harder! Swing harder!)
Jaheira, Gnasher club, Fortress Shield, cloak of displacement
Aerie, Sling of Everard
Jan, Light Xbow of Speed, bolts of biting, lightning bolt, +2, etc. etc.
Valygar, Celestial Fury, Boots of Speed

Everyone was around level 11-12, believe it or not. I had already cleared out nearly every quest available in Chapter 2; I think the only stuff left is Kangaxx, the various personal quests of NPCs I didn't use, and the really tough lich in the Bridge District. Windspear was the last quest I did.

First, I took off Corilon's armor and had him summon an earth elemental and two air elementals. Fortunately, all three were friendly. Aerie then did a Spider Spawn, and got one spider (booo!), and then Jaheira summoned a nymph. (Five summons max.) Nymph immediately barkskinned herself. Corilon, Aerie, Jan, and Jaheira stoneskinned. Aerie chanted, prot.evil 10' radius, remove fear. Minsc, Valy, and Jaheira spirit armored. Corilon blurred and put his shadow dragon scale back on. Jan imp.invised Corilon. Jaheira blessed everyone/thing. Let's roll.

Sent in the five summons to surround Firkraag first. I figured he'd cast a Death Spell on the first thing, so I sent one in ahead of the rest; sure enough, one of the air elementals was kacked immediately. Jaheira replaced this with a fire elemental (I don't think it could damage Firk, but neither would Firk's breath hurt it, so it's a great meat shield). Everything else attacked immediately, and it was on.

Aerie immediately threw two Lower MR at him, while Jan threw Greater Malison and Jaheira threw Doom and an Insect Swarm. Oddly, I don't think Firk ever put up the mass of protections that the shadow dragon did, so Aerie never needed to Breach him. She got one of her three Holy Smites off, but then somehow he managed to remove her fear protection and then scare her, so she was out for the rest of the battle.

Flame arrows apparently hurt Firk. Jan threw both of his two, then two magic missile, and was going through his acid arrows until the end.

Meanwhile, Corilon, Minsc, and Valygar were busy whacking away, while Firk stomped my summons to goo. Occasionally he'd wise up and claw at Valy a few times, until finally I had to run him away and suck down some extra heals. Firk would naturally try to chase him, and not succeed due to all the enemies in the way, and I'd get some free hits in; then he started in on Corilon, until I had to run him off, feeding him one of my haste potions. I noticed a few dragon breaths, but they apparently all went toward my summons.

By the time I had to retreat Valygar, I noticed Firk was already Badly Damaged. When Corilon had to run back, he was Near Death. A couple more whacks from Minsc and he fell.

Other than spells, I had consumed a grand total of four extra heals and a haste potion. No one even needed to be resurrected. Aerie's fear wore off in three more rounds. I myself was stunned for an additional two rounds.

So here I am with a Carsomyr and no paladin.
pokeygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 06:34 PM   #9
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by pokeygamma:
Sometimes I wonder if I got really, really lucky. I tried killing Firkraag for the very first time last weekend, and succeeded, on the first try.

My party, main weapons:
Corilon (elven fighter/mage), dragon gear (the helm, shield, and long sword found in that dungeon)
Minsc, Lilarcor (Swing harder! Swing harder! Swing harder!)
Jaheira, Gnasher club, Fortress Shield, cloak of displacement
Aerie, Sling of Everard
Jan, Light Xbow of Speed, bolts of biting, lightning bolt, +2, etc. etc.
Valygar, Celestial Fury, Boots of Speed

Everyone was around level 11-12, believe it or not. I had already cleared out nearly every quest available in Chapter 2; I think the only stuff left is Kangaxx, the various personal quests of NPCs I didn't use, and the really tough lich in the Bridge District. Windspear was the last quest I did.

First, I took off Corilon's armor and had him summon an earth elemental and two air elementals. Fortunately, all three were friendly. Aerie then did a Spider Spawn, and got one spider (booo!), and then Jaheira summoned a nymph. (Five summons max.) Nymph immediately barkskinned herself. Corilon, Aerie, Jan, and Jaheira stoneskinned. Aerie chanted, prot.evil 10' radius, remove fear. Minsc, Valy, and Jaheira spirit armored. Corilon blurred and put his shadow dragon scale back on. Jan imp.invised Corilon. Jaheira blessed everyone/thing. Let's roll.

Sent in the five summons to surround Firkraag first. I figured he'd cast a Death Spell on the first thing, so I sent one in ahead of the rest; sure enough, one of the air elementals was kacked immediately. Jaheira replaced this with a fire elemental (I don't think it could damage Firk, but neither would Firk's breath hurt it, so it's a great meat shield). Everything else attacked immediately, and it was on.

Aerie immediately threw two Lower MR at him, while Jan threw Greater Malison and Jaheira threw Doom and an Insect Swarm. Oddly, I don't think Firk ever put up the mass of protections that the shadow dragon did, so Aerie never needed to Breach him. She got one of her three Holy Smites off, but then somehow he managed to remove her fear protection and then scare her, so she was out for the rest of the battle.

Flame arrows apparently hurt Firk. Jan threw both of his two, then two magic missile, and was going through his acid arrows until the end.

Meanwhile, Corilon, Minsc, and Valygar were busy whacking away, while Firk stomped my summons to goo. Occasionally he'd wise up and claw at Valy a few times, until finally I had to run him away and suck down some extra heals. Firk would naturally try to chase him, and not succeed due to all the enemies in the way, and I'd get some free hits in; then he started in on Corilon, until I had to run him off, feeding him one of my haste potions. I noticed a few dragon breaths, but they apparently all went toward my summons.

By the time I had to retreat Valygar, I noticed Firk was already Badly Damaged. When Corilon had to run back, he was Near Death. A couple more whacks from Minsc and he fell.

Other than spells, I had consumed a grand total of four extra heals and a haste potion. No one even needed to be resurrected. Aerie's fear wore off in three more rounds. I myself was stunned for an additional two rounds.

So here I am with a Carsomyr and no paladin.
If you want a great NPC in your group to use the incredibly overpowered Carsomyr, use Keldorn. He's an awesome fighter, and so is Valygar. I had previously ditched Anomen for Valygar, and Jaheira for Keldorn. I don't regret it the least.
And I'm surprised that a flame arrow hurt Big F. Shouldn't he be immune to fire damage?

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 07:14 PM   #10
Dar'tanian
Red Wizard of Thay

I think it is because it does additional fire damage plus it initial magical damage. Usually when i hit someone with a flame arrow it will say that the opponent took 10 damage and then 12 damge.