Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2007, 12:56 PM   #11
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Yeah, I wonder how much power it is taking to create the actual radio waves that create this reaction. If it's less that the igniting process, then maybe it is good, but yeah, the residuals would be messy with salt.
It's just good that something semi simple that has JUST NOW been found. It's mavericks like this that created the Microwave oven and Penicillin.
What we really need is some fusion process. Then, if it could run under its own chain-reaction process, and be controlled, that would rock.

There are MANY scientists working very hard to get fusion (hot and cold) as a stable source of energy. IMO, it's either Fusion as the future energy source, or nano solar cells (With embedded nanotubes, which give the solar cells 86% efficiency!--current cells have 16%)
Maybe some day in the future, all roofs in sunny climes will be covered with solar cell collectors. The only issues I see are the 20 year liquid gel batteries as waste.

Nanotech is also working on a new battery. Batteries haven't changed much in 20 years. I saw a special about nanotech in batteries, and they said in 10 years, you'll have 20 times the power life, and the recharge time will be--get this-- 10-20 seconds! (for days of use).

If I had cash to invest, I would put some in Nanotech, and Biotech industries. The next 10 years is going to be like the last 10 years for PC's. (Or say, 1990 till 2000) Nanotubes and Biotech + Nanotech is going to change Health care in the future.

Remember Seven of Nine? Her Borg nanoprobes? Those will be a reality one day. But instead of making a freaky Borg, they will seek out mutated genes, and remove them.

But then.... you have Biotech Terror.. Nanotech Hackers.. wow. You could make a good movie blockbuster script with that stuff.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:42 PM   #12
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally posted by Beaumanoir:
"This is the most abundant element on the planet: water"

.... Sorry no. You just lost all credability with that statement.
Since 2/3 of the Earth's surface is covered in water, how is this statement wrong?
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:52 PM   #13
Jorath Calar
Harper

But... if this catches on... and acctually works, what will we use to goto war over?
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:56 PM   #14
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Perhaps as water isn't an element (in the scientific sense, not in the sense that there are four elements, air water earth and fire) it's a compound (I think thats the name, remembering GCSE chemistry here!) H^2O
Old 05-30-2007, 02:58 PM   #15
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

...er, oh, ok...
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:01 PM   #16
Lavindathar
Harper

Had to log on, just to agree with my brother.

The "Great American Scientist" lost all credibility, due to the fact he can't even get right chemistry a 14 year old would know.

Water, is not an element.

And no, I don't believe the Scientist was referring to the four elements - as fire isn't commonly found in the world, unless it's created. So the statement, is null and void.

What we need, is Cold Fusion. Like Ziroc said. But unfortunately, it truly seems that this is impossible and never be achieved.

[ 05-30-2007, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: Lavindathar ]
Old 05-30-2007, 03:41 PM   #17
Lucern
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
Remember Seven of Nine? Her Borg nanoprobes? Those will be a reality one day. But instead of making a freaky Borg, they will seek out mutated genes, and remove them.
Lol, in your investments Ziroc...I wouldn't invest in anything that does away with mutations. They're the only source of new genetic material. Every slightest bit of variation from single celled proto-life has been due to, you guessed it, mutation. No mutations means a rather static game of natural selection for humans. Of course, it it did away with Downs Syndrome or Tays Sachs or something specific...

Ahem. Where were we? Energy. Carry on.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:00 PM   #18
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Haha. I highly doubt that a scientist would refer to the elements as Earth, Wind & Fire. Although it'd make Chemistry a hell of a lot easier.

My point was referring to Water as an Element is just unprofessional at the least, full blown retarded on a good day.

FFFFFF">EDIT] DSlaytern: "Good grief. Have some courtesy in using Thumbnails when linking to large images.

Cheers."

[ 05-31-2007, 03:34 AM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Old 05-30-2007, 04:08 PM   #19
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

This guy is NOT a scientist guys, you gotta remember this. He was a manager for a large radio station. He knew about radio waves, and was playing with them. So I wouldn't nitpick on his wording of things, I know what you're saying though. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Hey, if this does something good for energy needs, I'm all for it, but they need to make sure that radio frequency is safe.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:10 PM   #20
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

But can the flame create more energy than the radio wave needs to run?