Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2004, 07:45 AM   #1
Loudhy
Drizzt Do'Urden

Hi,

I'm a huge fan of winning games without reloading ( after a total destruction of single character or party ) . That's why "party" RPG's are normally my favourites but I got Gothic II as a gift from one of my friends and it looks good to me, so I want to know :

Is it possible to win the game without being killed ?

I know, many of you finished that game often, so I hope one of you can give me a ( I hope positive ) answer.

P.S
I only had one single RPG I nearly managed to win wihout a killed character : Arena . Unfortunatly I had bad luck and my character was killed from behind ( I think by a spider ) while swimming under a bridge short before he found the last piece of the staff.

Thanks

[img]graemlins/monster5.gif[/img]
Loudhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 09:04 AM   #2
Thoran
Galvatron

I'd say that it would be EXCEEDINGLY difficult to do. You would have to be very conservative in play and run away from a lot of baddies. It also has a bad habit of throwing a lot of baddies on you at once... those situations could make it very tough to get through without reload. You'd have to concentrate on ranged and do everything from a distance... running away if anyone gets close.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 11:25 AM   #3
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Yep, I agree with Thoran. Although I have finished this game several times, things always tends to get hairy when your level are too low.

And face it, the only way you are going to gain level fast in this game is to take risks and go against the odds, like what I did with the whole contingent of orcs in the old world.

I did take precautions as not too draw too many orcs at once, but the Orc Elites are quite capable of killing you with a few double swing attacks.

Heck, with a puny "standard" leather armor, 2-3 wargs even can make your life a short one. One thing about this game is the cruel "reality" it imposed, an armor doesn't make you harder to hit, it merely reduces the the damage(s) you taken from each hit. And unfortunately, you can't get good armors early in the game, which means that you will die quite often being a lowly mercenary or city guard, not to mention fire mage, which is even weaker at low levels.

[ 01-12-2004, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 01-12-2004, 04:13 PM   #4
john
Drizzt Do'Urden

Gothic 2 sounds great what are the requirments.I usually have a hard time in the store trying to read the damn boxex,never seem to bring my glasses and can't read without them...I've got a compaq,700mhz with 256 mem and a 32 bit video card,Hope to get a new system soon so I've been playing on my xbox till then..
Old 01-13-2004, 01:47 AM   #5
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

john,

The requirement is pretty steep, considering that the game is only divided into two "levels" or maps.

I would say the following specs should do fine:

Pentium 4 2.0 GHz
512 MB RAM (the more the better)
Geforce MX4 / Geforce FX 5200 (128 MB RAM)
2.5/3.0 GB free harddisk space.

My PC specs (slightly below the recommended specs):
Pentium 4 1.5 GHz
256 MB RAM
Geforce MX2 (64 MB RAM)

It takes a loooong time to load up the game and in the town area, the frame rate is rather low and I was force to tone down the graphic details to somewhat minimum...and I am running at 800x600 only.

With your PC specs, you should be able to play Gothic 1 smoothly. In any case, having played Gothic 1 forehand gives you the added advantage of the background story and NPC characters as well as the ackward keyboard control scheme.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:20 AM   #6
Loudhy
Drizzt Do'Urden

Hi john,

my PC is a P4 2,4 GHz with 1 Gb RAM and a Geforce4 Ti4200. From my first steps I can say : With such a computer you can set all specials on and the range of view 150 percent.
I'm afraid, that you must set some of the good features off. I don't know if the game is good then because it seems the real "feeling" appears with full graphic details only.
I reached the town the first time without being killed. I think that wasn't a problem after I was able to use the controls without mistakes.

I have another question : Do the monsters respawn after a time or are they gone forever after I killed them ? ( I got the german version so I don't know if the professions are the same but in town I joined the trophy hunter who told me to collect some wolf pelts. I killed them all on my way to town and now they are gone ).

Greetings

[img]graemlins/monster5.gif[/img]
Loudhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 06:39 AM   #7
the mighty stamar

all monsters respawn at the end of each chapter.... so kill em all.
the mighty stamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 10:27 AM   #8
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by the mighty stamar:
all monsters respawn at the end of each chapter.... so kill em all.
Ahem. Slight correction, the monsters respawn at the beginning of new chapters. However, some "unique" monsters will not respawn. For example Black Troll, dragons and etc.

Anyway, I do agree with you. Killed them all or you will not enough experience to gain higher levels.