Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2001, 12:13 PM   #1
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Hail fellow BG2'ers!

Well, as you may remember, about 2 weeks ago I posted about not being able to get BG2 to run on my system. Finally, after several upgrades and some tweaking, I was able to get the game up and running on Friday (YES!)

So I created a Human Ranger, Tamerin Blackthorne. I hope Ranger is a good class in this game. I used to play rangers in PnP sessions years ago.

Okay, now bear in mind that up to this point I have been strictly a 1st-person gamer (Might & Magic, Wizardry, Wizards & Warriors), and have never attempted a 3/4 view 3rd-person game. Watching me blunder through the first screens was probably like watching a comedy show, except we all got annihilated in the first room (the Lightning Mephits).

Doh...switch on the wall. Start over, and learn to look for EVERYTHING, Sazerac!! This time I was able to get past the room. Found the Djinni, who summoned an Ogre Magus for me to fight. Got past that.

Kept on blundering through. Learned the necessity of using the "Q" key! Watch out when poking nose down darkened corridors. Found the creatures in the bottles. (Dang, this is a creepy place...I agree with Imoen on that...except I wish she'd quit commenting on it every 5 minutes!)

Found a room with a couple of golems in it. Went to talk to one and ended up hitting him instead. OOOPS!!! Big fight. Somehow managed to stay alive and take them out. Couldn't search the bodies. Wondered if I should restart...no, I decided to go on.

Found the Activation stone and had the Sewer golem do his "thang"...then found the Library. Any use to the books? I ended up leaving most of them, after reading through them...looked like they were mainly useful for background information on the milieu...

Found a room with a bunch of dwarves in it. 2nd important point: check for traps and disarm them! Back to the book. *sigh*

Found a room with a weird contraption and someone that looked extraordinarily like Black Knight who I had to battle. Did that. Dang, but the guy who has this place is a NUTCASE.

Finally decided to explore down one of the narrow hallways. Battled an Otyugh (remember those from YEARS ago). Remembered to look for traps this time! Got some good items from those chests.

Went into a room that was actually attractive...fireplace and all. Traps galore! Found a strange key (Lightning I think). Turned right into this exotic forest area and these poor trapped Nymphs. Had picked up some acorns that they wanted, and they told me to take them to a certain area. Okay, guess that's for later.

Found another beautiful room. OOPS...poison trap! Tamerin is toast. Reload...check for TRAPS, Sazerac!!! Man, this room is LOADED with them. I still don't know who "HER" is...I get the feeling that the reason this Irenicus guy is so warped is that she died on him or was killed and it unhinged him...maybe I'm reading it wrong, though.

Oh...found an Air Elemental statue, remember that a door a ways back needed such a statue. Went to it, was transported to what I guess was the Plane of Elemental Air...found the Djinni there that was trapped. *sigh* Backtrack to the Nymphs (since he suggested that). Yep, they have the bottle. Backtrack to the Djinni. (Lot of needless walking around, IMO). Get a pretty cool sword from him...apparently belonging to my evil twin brother. Why do I get the sneaking suspicion I'll have to battle him eventually?

So I finally find the exit. Walk through the portal (pretty cool effect). Immediately meet this Yoshimo guy who tells me I need a bunch of keys to unlock some traps on this level.

OOPS!

Imoen is carrying 1 key...the Lightning one. Now I know what that's about. Where are the OTHERS!

At this point I panicked, e-mailed Cloudy last night, and was begging for just a hint. If I was going to have to backtrack all the way through Level 1 of that danged dungeon I was going to uninstall!

"Check the Otyugh", she said. "And there's others on Level 2."

DOH...Otyugh...sewer eater. Of course it would probably consume a lost key. Forgot that from years ago. (It really has been YEARS since I've played an AD&D game). Went back there and found the Key of Frost. Thank you Cloudy!! *mwah*

No other keys on Level 1...even checked everywhere in the Library. Okaaaay...well let me try Level 2.

Great...found 4 more keys within the next 2 rooms. Those mephit generators were a pain.

Finally made it over to the room where the wand traps are. The cretin with the rodent kept blundering his way over to the Duergar were before I had a chance to disarm the traps! Idiot. 3rd point: Learn to turn off the AI mechanism! Reload.

Now I turn off the traps, battle the duergar, get a very interesting ring from the statue at the end, battle more duergar in the next room (forge area?), battle what seems to be a vampire (best to do so while she's fighting assassins so she doesn't turn on YOU)...hey, great, Tamerin chose "Vampire" for his Racial Enemy...got extra XP! I can dig that. (I had no idea it was going to work out this way...I wanted to play a Vampire hunter.)

Found a guy locked in a cell...freed him and then he turned on us later. Oh well...

So I finally make it out of this place...get to witness a cut scene between the super evil magus and Imoen...both of them dragged off (boy am I glad I didn't give her anything IMPORTANT to carry!). Now I got to figure out what to do next.

But I'm thrilled that I've made it this far and with minimum help. Thank you, thank you, BLESS you Cloudy for your assistance...I would have completely overlooked that danged Otyugh. I've learned quite a bit so far, and although I'm not fully enamored with this game, it is proving to be fun, at last. I just hope it's not one of those fantasy games that throws a bunch of sci-fi at you ... that lab looked EXTREMELY high-tech.

I was, I will admit, disenchanted with the starter dungeon, for the reason I said above, and that it was VERY difficult to see in there. I was having to squint at the screen for the most part. The game does get better, doesn't it? Please tell me it does!

But I am "hooked" enough to continue on with it. I'll let you know how I'm doing, and will post questions here now, now that I no longer feel like a complete imbecile.

Wizards & Warriors Veteran
Baldur's Gate 2 Newbie
Old 05-21-2001, 12:27 PM   #2
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Saz,

One of the suggestions that is often made is to go into the game configuration option and set the brightness higher. Helped me quite a bit to see what was going on.

The first dungeon *does* have lots of annoying backtracking. Fortunately, I didn't find that to be the case again in the rest of the game. The game picks up substantially from where you are now. Becomes a lot more fun... Good luck!

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Old 05-21-2001, 12:38 PM   #3
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Throntar: thanks! Didn't know you could adjust brightness. Well, I'm in an area now that I can see well in, but I may do that when I go indoors again (which will probably be soon).

Appreciate the suggestion!

Baldur's Gate 2 Newbie
Old 05-21-2001, 12:51 PM   #4
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Best thing to do is to take your time. Check out all the sites in the big city.
You can spend days just doing side quests before you get into the real game. It really helps build your charactor. Have you played BG1? I'm going back and playing it again now. I want to take my charactor through the whole BG world.
Good Luck!!!!

------------------
Sir Taliesin

If they take my gun can I still use my Claymore?
Old 05-21-2001, 01:05 PM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Nae, Sir Taliesin, this is my first BG experience altogether. So I'm in the city now, am I? Thanks...okay, so I'll look for quests.

I'm using BG2 as a trial run for NWN, which I want to play, but I want to get used to the interface first.

Thanks!

Baldur's Gate 2 Newbie