Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2003, 07:28 AM   #1
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I just discovered last night that we have the ability to NOT show up as being on-line (invisible). I go to other forums that have this abilities as well. I have never even thought to "not show up as being there if I am there." So, my question is, why do you or why do people do that you think? I'm not implying that there is anything wrong with it, but I just wonder why and do you think alot of people do it? Just something I have never thought about before.

I am never going to assume that someone is not around anymore because---well, you can't really know. And just because someone is not posting is not an indicator either because----well, alot of people lurk and don't post and if they are luking invisible----I think you get my point.

[ 05-07-2003, 07:31 AM: Message edited by: Reeka ]
<b>Order of the Holy Flame</b><br /><i>Member of Clan HADB</i><br /><b>Laughing Hyena</b><br /><i>Clan Liaison, IW Peace Keeping Force</i><br /><i>[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com/Forum/index.php?board=29\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River VoiceChat!</a><br />Last Saturday of every month. <br />See the forum link for scheduling!<br /><b> </b><br /></i><br /><b>Admin and Co-Owner of [url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River</a></b><br />[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\"></a>
Old 05-07-2003, 07:31 AM   #2
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I have pondered this myself Reeka. Maybe to be mysterious, or not to be bothered, who knows. I personaly dont need to be a part of a forum where I dont want people to know I am.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:46 AM   #3
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

In the (recent) history of Ironworks, there have been some members who have taken it upon themselves to make life miserable for other members. They usually get banned pretty fast. However, some members feel 'safer' knowing that people who may target them for threats, abuse, annoyances, whatever are unble to see them as being logged on. You can still read and post and enjoy the forum as you always do, but no one can pinpoint you and find out when you are and arn't online. The same goes for any other forum on the net.

Well, that's one explanation. I'm sure there are many more.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:47 AM   #4
Nubilus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

To me the main goal here is to be seen, or I would say, noticed...
I wouldn't understand point of that "invisibility".
But when bad die were cast<br />We were cast down to die<br />A steeple of needles thrust into our eyes<br />So scholars might say we were blinded by pride<br />Like the sin of Our Father...<br /><br />
Old 05-07-2003, 07:47 AM   #5
Melusine
Dracolisk

Because a lot of the time, I may read a few posts but am busy doing other things as well and have no time to post, or my RSI is playing up so I can't post, just read, and people tend to think that when you show up as online, you're available and they get upset if you don't reply to their posts, or assume you are ignoring them. Especially since you show up as being online for a time after you've gone away.
Besides, on a forum with over 10000 members of which I know maybe 200, I don't see the need to let them all know whether I am online or not.
But I'm not very bothered either way - it's just a box you can tick once after which you are invisible all the time. If you had to tick it everytime you logged on I might not have bothered. I don't think it's important either way, just one of the many options on a forum. Some people meticulously fill out the "who are you, where do you live, what do you do?" forms in their profiles, some don't. Either way is fine with me. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2003, 07:49 AM   #6
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
In the (recent) history of Ironworks, there have been some members who have taken it upon themselves to make life miserable for other members. They usually get banned pretty fast. However, some members feel 'safer' knowing that people who may target them for threats, abuse, annoyances, whatever are unble to see them as being logged on. You can still read and post and enjoy the forum as you always do, but no one can pinpoint you and find out when you are and arn't online. The same goes for any other forum on the net.

Well, that's one explanation. I'm sure there are many more.
Good point Aaron, well said.

[ 05-07-2003, 07:50 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]