Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2006, 01:23 PM   #1
bjorn
Zhentarim Guard

I am supposed to write a linguistic paper and I need a topic by towmorrow. Off the top of my head I think I'll compare the language in a fancy (brittish) newspaper and a sleezy one. Are there any notable diffrences language-wise? Suggestions on newspapers, and perhaps even articles are welcome. The top candidates right now are The Sun and The Times. If you have any better topics please feel free to present them, nothing too broad.

Sorry if this is poorly written but I am in a hurry, It's seven pm here and I can't spend that much time on this right now. Still, the lecture is towmorrow and I really should have a topic by then.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:06 PM   #2
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

I done the exact same thing, in maths though, using those very two papers. Did the storys of the Gold Bullion Robbery, which worked well as you could see the differences clearly.
The Sun had shorter paragraphs, shorter sentences and shorter words. Simple sentences mostly.
The Times was full of compound sentences, obviously harder words and bigger paragraphs.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:43 PM   #3
Lavindathar
Harper

For sleazy, you want to use the Daily Sport. Still a very popular paper, but full of tits and sleaze.

The total opposite? the Sunday Express. Even more boring than the times.