Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2003, 07:34 AM   #1
Radek
Red Dragon

I am a newbie at Morrowind. I've got it as a bonus to a hardware, therefore no manuals, etc. Questions:

1. I have noticed that I have no spelbook, which I could manage. I can buy spells, I can create spells in the spellmaker but I cannot delete spells, which I don't want any longer or which I want to replace with better ones.
If I recall my Arena and Daggerfall times, where I reworked my spellbook several times, then I fear that I will end with a "spellbook" full of useless spells, where I'll never find the needed spell. Is it right? I hope it isn't [img]graemlins/erm.gif[/img]

2. What's the actual efficiency of a spell? I mean, how does your magic skill, character level, etc. influence the spell effect? The only thing I have found so far is a formula that shows your casting chance calculated from your LUC, WIL, stamina and skill.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:44 AM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Wheter a spell will work or not is completely depending on your level of intelligence.

And no, there is no way to delete any spells that you've learned, why would you wanna do that anyway ?
Old 10-14-2003, 10:53 AM   #3
Chris77Se
Zhentarim Guard

1. If you have the PC-version of Morrowind, just press shift and then leftclick on a spell you want to delete in the list. The game then asks you to confirm your choice and the spell is gone.

2. The casting chance depends on 4 factors:

a) difficulty of the spell (e. g. the more damage it does the more difficult the spell is)
b) Your skill-level in the appropriate skill (destruction for fireball for example)
c) The value of the corresponding attribute (willpower, intelligence or personality)
d) luck (I noticed this, when I did one of the 7 graces, which increases your luck by 20. My casting chance for hearth heal increased from 43 to 44 percent)

Chris
Chris77Se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 11:21 AM   #4
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
So you CAN delete spells then ? Well, waddaya know.... Learned something today.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:32 AM   #5
Radek
Red Dragon

Thanks. Yes, I have a PC, therefore shift-left_click. Good.

As far as the casting chance is concerned, I have seen the following formula:

chance = (LUC/8 + WIL/4 + skill*2.5)*(0.6 + 0.4*fatigue/max_fatigue)

Notes:
1. Naturally, if the formula gives more than 100 then the chance is 100%
2. Perhaps, the WIL should be replaced by the governing attribute. It need not be always WIL.
3. The formula is a bit strange. It states that your chance to cast is 100% once you have the corresponding skill at 40 (with 100% fatigue points), no matter how expensive the spell is. On the other hand
a) yes, the chance goes down if you are fatigued
b) yes, the chance depends on LUC
c) at least for low level spells, yes, skill = 40 makes the chance 100%

Why to update the spellbook?
All depends on the behavior of the spells in Morrowind. In Arena and Daggerfall, the spell effect depended on your level. Therefore, you used a different set of spells at low levels, at medium levels and at high levels (different "base" and "increment" values). Moreover, the casting cost of a spell depended on your skill level in Daggerfall (and on your character level in Arena). Therefore, you used different spells at low skill levels (cheap spells) and at high skill levels (expensive spells).
I don't know how the spells behave in Morrowind. I would like to know... Only if the spell effect and the casting cost do not change and remains the same no matter what your level, skill or attributes are, it will be no use to update the spells in your "spellbook".
Old 10-15-2003, 06:46 AM   #6
HammerHead
Zhentarim Guard

If the casting chance is a little low for your liking, you can always go to a spellmaker and costumize it (lower the the duration, area effect and such).

And when you become more powerful, you can off course raise the effect of the spell. That way you don't have to buy variations of the same spell.

C