Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 07-15-2001, 02:26 PM   #1
IntrospectiveIdeals
Dungeon Master

IF ANY OF U HAVE READ MY PREVIOUS POSTS U WILL KNOW WHY I AM STARTING A NEW GAME. I INTEND TO HAVE A NON-MAGICAL PC BECAUSE I INTEND ON TEAMING WITH ONLY AERIE IN THE BEGINING TO GET MAJOR EXP.

NOW WHO SHOULD I CHOOSE FIGHTER OR MONK? ULTIMATELY WHO IS GOING TO BE THE BETTER AT KICKING BADDIES ASSES???

AT THE MOMENT I AM SWAYED TO THINKING I SHOULD USE A HALF-ORC FIGHTER, HAVING 19 STRNGTH AND CONSTITUTION,

REPLIES MORE THAN APPRECIATED.
Old 07-15-2001, 02:30 PM   #2
Cavern Sniffer
Elminster

Monks spend all their time having haircuts and praying, go for a fighter.

------------------
It's bleedin dark down here, slippery too.
Man, that's a pisser.
Old 07-15-2001, 02:31 PM   #3
IntrospectiveIdeals
Dungeon Master

SHOULD I PUT MY INTELLIGENCE AND WISDOM AS LOW AS POSSIBLE FOR MY FIGHTER/MONK. WHICH SHOULD I HAVE HIGHER IF I HAVE EXTRA POINTS.
Old 07-15-2001, 02:32 PM   #4
IntrospectiveIdeals
Dungeon Master

WOULD U (OR WHOEVER IS READING) AGREE THAT THE FIGHTER IS PRETTY MUCH THE BEST CLASS?
Old 07-15-2001, 02:44 PM   #5
Cavern Sniffer
Elminster

I like fighters but I've heard good things about Monks although I've never played one. Wisdom of 15 or over will help protect against some spells and give an increased lore bonus upon level up. High intelligence 15 or over will help protect against psychological attacks such as those made by mind flayers. I like the weapon specialization of fighters, I tend to go for Grand Mastery in Longbow and 2 handed swords but that's just personal opinion.

------------------
It's bleedin dark down here, slippery too.
Man, that's a pisser.
Old 07-15-2001, 02:54 PM   #6
IntrospectiveIdeals
Dungeon Master

IF I'M CORRECT THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON IN THE GAME IS THE EQUALIZER?

LETS SAY HYPOTHETICALLY I GET FULL SLOTS IN SINGLE WEAPON, TWO HANDED SWORD USAGE

HOW MUCH DAMAGE WOULD A CRITICAL HIT DO TO SOMEONE WITH AN ARMOUR CLASS OF 10 WITH A LOT OF LIFE?

P.S I WAS THINKING OF GRAND MASTERY WITH FLAIL AND USING FLAIL OF THE AGES.
Old 07-15-2001, 02:56 PM   #7
Robin, Thief of Hearts
The Magister

Nahh... Thieves are the best class !

If you want to do severe damage, try a backstab with Celestial Fury. I have achieved damage of over 200 points in a single strike. Consider using alternatives to swords as a good weapon - 3D4 will beat 1D10 - plain old darts can overpower even a 2 handed blade.

[This message has been edited by Robin, Thief of Hearts (edited 07-15-2001).]
Old 07-15-2001, 03:05 PM   #8
TheDutkanator

The monk can kill a Dragon with a single blow. It's called quivering palm. Also, they get absolute immunity to poison at a certain level AND an increased magic resistance at certain level(s). They get increased movement rates and their bare hands hit like magic weapons. Basically, THEY KICK BUTT!! As far as if they're better than fighters, that is a VERY difficult comparison. Fighters rely on equipment a LOT more than monks. Both are VERY good, but if you are relatively new, I suggest the fighter.

As far as proficiencies, I suggest sword and shield style for a MUCH better AC, OR two-weapon style for more attacks as well as the fact that with two diff. magic weapons, you could be more devastating (each weapon could have diff. magical abilities and/or do diff. types of damage). I prefer using two of the same type weapon (two katanas, two long swords, etc). But a lot of people like using a slashing or piercing weapon in 1 hand and a blunt weapon in the other. (although I can't figure out why a REAL character would do this)

------------------

Let's get'em guen!

Quote:
"I'm sorry, did I kill you?" -TheDutkanator
Old 07-15-2001, 03:11 PM   #9
IntrospectiveIdeals
Dungeon Master

I JUST BASICALLY NEED TO KNOW WHICH ONE, IM ROLLING STATS NOW!!!

I DUNNO MAYBE BE A THIEF WHO KNOWS??, WHAT WOULD U CHOOSE, THIEF OR FIGHTER. I THINK THE FACT A THIEF CAN WIELD SWORDS AND CAN WEAR ARMOUR MEANS HE IS REALLY SUSCEPTIBLE TO MAGICAL BENEFITS. I JUST CAN'T CHOOOSEE HELP SOMEONE,HELP!!!
Old 07-15-2001, 03:12 PM   #10
Gazza
Banned User

I go for monk. Just from reading some of the other posts monks get a hole lot better as they get more experience. From memory there magic resistance gets to about 70%, there fists become +4 weapons etc.

------------------

Know thy enemy and know thyself and you will never be defeated in a hundred battles.