Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-27-2002, 02:04 PM   #1
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I'm posting this after I shared it with some friends the other day. It's an account of what happened as I went to get my car after I finished up a 7 hour day on a jury and was off to get my car and go home.

Some of my friends were glad to see it printed up and wanted to share it with wives and others, so I thought maybe it would be useful here and might open up a general discussion on individual (and women's) safety issues.

-----------

Had an unpleasant experience in the parking garage on the way out. I got to the elevator and the door opened. A guy was in the elevator and I don't know about anyone else, but if I'm getting on an elevator with one man on it, I look carefully at the person, before entering the elevator. This guy was not going to get off, but as I stopped a few seconds in the doorway, he suddenly walked past me and I got on the elevator. He peered for a second through the little glass half wall that is near the doorway that opens into the garage--you can see through it to the garage. Then just as the doors are closing, he comes back into the elevator. He muttered about 'thought my car was on this floor'.

Ok, I'm cautious but not too worried yet, so I look him straight in the eye, then up and down and go back to looking at the control panel. I was right next to the emergency alarm button and I had pressed for 4th floor and suddenly realized, he had pressed the 7th floor button BEFORE he got off the elevator- I saw 7 lit up and remembered seeing him press something before he had briefly stepped off. This set off a few warning bells. So I looked BACK at the guy who was close, but not enough that I'd hit the alarm. He saw me look, saw my hand hover near the alarm bell and backed up a bit.

So I got off on my floor, and started to walk around the little glass partition that leads into the (then deserted) garage, the guy seemed to follow me off the elevator and then turn back into it when I looked at him, so I went out of the elevator area into the garage, looking back at the elevator as I did and he was not visible at this time. So I got into my car, which was pretty close. I drove around and as I came past the elevator, I saw him 'dive'into the elevator! That's when it hit me, this was NO lost car owner, he'd been watching me and must have realized he couldn't reach me before I got into my car, since it was so close. *shudder*

I remember a safety video I'd seen once mentioned that muggers/rapists like to press the top floor button in elevators so the elevator goes up without giving the woman a chance to get off it and a woman should try and hit as many floor buttons as she can if attacked, as well as the alarm button. That's what was nagging at my brain when I saw the 7 was lit up, but at the time I was just thinking it rather odd that a man gets off on floor THREE if he thinks his car is on SEVEN. I suspect he got off to make me feel 'safe' getting on the elevator and that's pretty creepy!

I reported the odd behavior to the attendant who took my payment on the way out. Better safe than sorry!

Boy am I GLAD to be home. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cloudy
Old 01-27-2002, 02:23 PM   #2
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

a good and warm hug to Cloudy

**hugs**

I am sorry it must have been scary, come to think of it. this kind thing... all I can say is these people are trash. it is a tragedy they are ever born into this world
Old 01-27-2002, 02:28 PM   #3
Melusine
Dracolisk

*hugs* Thanks for posting again Amber [img]smile.gif[/img]

Hope all women can and will react so calmly and rationally insimilar situations - it does make a difference ...
Old 01-27-2002, 02:31 PM   #4
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
*hugs* Thanks for posting again Amber [img]smile.gif[/img]

Hope all women can and will react so calmly and rationally insimilar situations - it does make a difference ...

hi
Old 01-27-2002, 02:39 PM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks 250 and Mel!

I just feel that sometimes we don't KNOW how to react or to protect ourselves and this is one area I remembered seeing on a video they showed in college ages ago. Never get on an elevator with someone if you get even the smallest feeling of discomfort, stay NEAR the control panel(ie: don't let the stranger be the one with the ability to block access to the alarm or call buttons) and look them in the eye so they know you are paying attention and can possibly identify them later. One thing we were told by a campus safety officer was that most attackers want a submissive/frightened target so they look for someone not paying much attention, looking at the ground or reading/doing something else while walking. Basically unaware of their surroundings and oblivious to the attacker. They don't want the one who can id them, fights back and makes a lot of noise.

I have a very healthy set of lungs.. LOL.. and believe me, I'd have used them. I figure there's always a possiblity the person is NOT a weirdo/pervert/mugger.. BUT I'd rather have that wee bit of embarrassment than the alternative!

Cloudy
Old 01-27-2002, 02:40 PM   #6
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

BTW, I'm not trying to make anyone paranoid, but this is just a warning.
It's very dangerous in car parks etc., because many rapists tactic is to follow a woman to their car, then as the woman gets in and starts it up or briefly does something, then the rapist pulls them out of the car before they have a chance to do anything.
Old 01-27-2002, 02:41 PM   #7
Melusine
Dracolisk

Hmmm since you mentioned getting a debate or discussion going about safety issues;

Try to avoid being out on the street alone after dark, especially in badly-lit areas or areas with no houses nearby. If you travel by public transport, get someone to pick you up from the station.
When you are on foot, always walk as close to the houses as you can, so that you can ring the doorbells in case something happens. Don't hesitate to do that even if you're not sure a guy has evil intentions - you won't make a fool out of yourself, the people where you rung will understand you'd rather be safe than sorry.
Walk confidently but not challengingly - shoulders straight, head up. Walk briskly but not too fast - don't appear as if you're running away. Keep your keys in your hand to feel safer and look more purposeful. Never carry a knife or something to defend yourself - an attacker is likely stronger than you and will only try and use it against you. If you need something to feel safer, carry a can of hairspray (to spray in the eyes) or put your keys in your hand (to make it harder) with one key protruding (so you can punch with your fist). If attacked, screaming is the best thing you can do. Make as much noise as you can, it's been proven that it scares more attackers away than anything else, including putting up a fight.
Be alert when strangers approach you in potentially dangerous situations (like Cloudy described). You don't have to distrust people, just be alert for signs that something is amiss.

All of these are not meant to scare anybody, it's just good to be prepared.
Old 01-27-2002, 02:41 PM   #8
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Maybe it would help to clarify the important things that Cloudy did right:

1. She carefully looked at the person before getting into the elevator.

2. Once in the elevator, she made eye contact and then looked him up and down. No assailant wants to be potentially identified in a line-up.

3. She was alert and wary; hand near the alarm button, and continued to keep him in her sight.

4. Once off the elevator, she continued to look back to find out what was going on behind her. Again, this seemed to deter the would-be assailant.

5. She remembered key elements from a safety video she had seen, about certain behaviors about potential assailants which they use to trick their "prey", such as pressing the top button on the elevator.

5. She warned the garage attendant about the potential assailant, drawing attention to the situation to someone who may help prevent someone else from being attacked.

Any one or all of these things may have saved her life. It's sad one has to be so wary in this world, but things are the way they are, and it's a very good thing to keep one's safety and practice safe procedures such as Cloudy did.

And yes, we're all glad nothing bad happened, Cloudy, and that you're safe and back with us. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,

[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: Sazerac ]

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 01-27-2002, 02:55 PM   #9
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

It's always very sad and terrible to be reminded of the down-side of human nature..
Hope your all right Cloudy, and that you won't have to go through omething like this again!
Old 01-27-2002, 03:01 PM   #10
Melusine
Dracolisk

Yep Saz, looking them in the eye calmly is definitely a life-safer in some cases.