Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 02-19-2010, 12:37 AM   #1
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Default Volothamp's Comeuppance -- 3rd Edition

The new edition of the Guide is now online:
http://www.pocketplane.net/volothamp/bgguide.htm

If you were familiar with the 2nd Edition, you may notice one or two changes.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:36 AM   #2
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Default Re: Volothamp's Comeuppance -- 3rd Edition

What a wonderful thing! As always, you're there for those that need it most.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:00 AM   #3
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

really nice (of course )

just as some very minor, like, feedback some of the paragraphs could have used some spaces between them for me - there are some big blocks of text there

of course there are big blocks of text they're becasue there's a lot of text there - really impressive

most of the content i guess we know but all worthwhile additions (that said i hadn't picked up on the spells targetted on caster ignore enemy MR exploit)

my favourite new thing is the valiant attempt to deal with the AC / modifiers issue

PS: i really fancy playing BG1 again now . . .

PPS: turn undead table is a useful addition

Last edited by Armen; 03-08-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Re: Big blocks of text: Yeah, there was a LOT of material I needed to cover, and I had to be precise about it, so there was really no other way. I do go over some stuff twice, though--most of this redundancy is in the Glossary. In the next update (which probably won't be all that soon), I'll be making the glossary definitions more succinct, mainly linking to the chapters in which the subject is described more thoroughly.

Yeah, the "visual AC representations" were a long-standing "must-have" in my update plans. I needed to show people that Hide is actually worse than Studded Leather in almost every respect.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I think between this & the actual feedback thread, the 3rd edition may have already recieved more feedback than the 2nd edition ever got. (In all the years it was up, NO ONE ever wrote me to say things like, "Hey Six, you idiot! Bless, Entangle, and Find Familiar are NOT Level 8 spells! Monks DO NOT have a Deflect Missiles special ability! You DO NOT gain Thieving Skill bonuses from walking around naked!" etc.)
Old 04-19-2010, 01:01 PM   #5
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

FYI: My wife "thanks" you for making me start a BG1 + BG2 Female Cavalier game.

On a more serious note, excellent work as usual, your site is amazing.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Heya Six. I've just finished a run through BG1 and have spent a full day browsing through archived BG posts. In one, i noticed you'd written a full review for the Tactics mods, but the link was broken. Any chance you have an active link still?
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
Midget Gems

Hi there Six, just having a look at the new guide. And I think I got included as an example in Chapter 10. That would be a great honour to be worthy of inclusion in such a mighty tome.

Best regards
MG.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:17 PM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Sever: Sorry, that Tactics review was hosted on Geocities, and Geocities is no more. I have a local copy that I suppose I *could* send to you if you really really wanted it, but there would be little point as Tactics has changed so much: I wrote the review based on Tactics Version 15 . . . and it's now on Version 25, and most of my corrections / suggestions were implemented in at least some regard. So the review is largely an exercise in what Tactics used to be.

Midget Gems: Yep, that was indeed a direct reference to your Snow White game. I considered mentioning you by (screen) name, but that made the flow of the text somewhat clunky. Hope you're ok with that. I forget who ran the "Reluctant Bhaalspawn" game, though.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:46 AM   #9
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

No worries Six. It was more of a nostalgic exercise than anything.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #10
Midget Gems

I remember Neomi with his "The Company of Prince Humperdink" as the best example of a Nobleman game in BG1.
He inspired my own "no level-up" party, which in turn became the legendary "Suicidal Gnomes".

Happy days indeed, Volothamp's Comeuppance taught me much about the spirit of roleplaying and about putting a fresh perspective on the game, so thanks for that.