Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2004, 11:22 AM   #1
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

OK, I was playing Fallout Tactics and I think I am almost through the game and my computer stops reading my CD/rom drive. The light still goes on and it spins but I get message Please insert a Fallout Tactics CD. I can't get anything from any other CD either.

I have had my computer 6 years so I think it just needs a cleaning as I have never cleaned my CD/Rom. I am thinking of buying a new CD/Rom with read write capability as I currently have only read.

What do you guys think the problem is? Should I buy some stuff for cleaning before purchasing a new CD/Rom drive to ensure that that is what the problem is. As for removal I think I insert a pin into that little hole in the front and it pops out. Is it that easy? I prefer to be sure before I start poking pins in unknown holes.

[ 02-16-2004, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 02-16-2004, 11:40 AM   #2
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Hey, I've got the same problem with a read/write drive that I purchased about a year ago...hmmm...I hope it's as easy as that to fix! Otherwise, Baldur's Gate and Morrowind won't be playable...What OS do you have, pritchke?

Is that what you really want to say?
Old 02-16-2004, 11:43 AM   #3
pritchke

Quote:
Originally posted by Ilander:
Hey, I've got the same problem with a read/write drive that I purchased about a year ago...hmmm...I hope it's as easy as that to fix! Otherwise, Baldur's Gate and Morrowind won't be playable...What OS do you have, pritchke?
I am still using Windows 98
Old 02-16-2004, 11:48 AM   #4
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

hmm...I'm using ME, so it's probably not an OS problem...hmm. Have you tried refreshing your drive? That's the only other thing that I've done, and it seemed to help for about a week, and then it was useless...I really don't think that's the problem, though... The drives probably do just need cleaning...I think we should wait for soemone who knows what they're doing, though!

[ 02-16-2004, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Ilander ]

Is that what you really want to say?
Old 02-16-2004, 11:58 AM   #5
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Just for grins make sure the CD in question and the other CD are not alike. IE.. data to data. try a music cd. And make sure there are no serious marks on the CD data surface.
Have you done a complete shutdown, switched power off for 1 full minute, then powered back up?
Did it work?
No? Then yes try a CD drive cleaner following the directions to the T. Remeber a CD drive is a laser emitting optical drive, with a precise tolerance, so don't go throwing the thing about.
Working? It should. if not, then restart and go into BIOS and do a auto check for drives, if this drive shows up in BIOS, then you have a OS problem. Possibly need to have windows re-install that drive.
If does not show in BIOS, then you could have a power to the drive problem, a data cable problem, a MB problem, etc. If you are not a tweaker, make sure you ground yourself prior to touching anything inside the case. Static discharge will drop a component faster than a 3 ft fall.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:24 PM   #6
pritchke

Yah! I took part of my computer and CDRom apart today. There were tumble weeds growing inside there. After a severe cleaning my CDRom is finally working again. It also means that if I decide to do some upgrades I will be able to manage the installation myself. One important thing to note is when and if you decide to take apart your computer note carefully were everything is attached as most of the connections are labeled. Also make note of those that are not connected there was one plug that after putting everything together was not connected to anything and I was like opps I must have forgot something. After looking around I could not find were it would go. It was a split connection with the other plug connected to the A drive. I am thinking it was to connect another drive underneath the CDRom since there was a ton of space there. Enough to place another CDRom drive. My cleaning disc now works as well so once a weak I will be giving the eye a cleaning. Worst part of the whole thing was reconnecting the start button. They should really have made that wire a little longer.

[ 02-21-2004, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]