Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-13-2004, 05:53 AM   #1
skywalker
Banned User

US jet accidentally drops unarmed bomb in Britain

LONDON, Jan 12 (Reuters) - The United States Air Force is investigating how one of its fighter jets dropped an unarmed bomb onto the countryside in northern England last week, a spokesman said on Monday.

There were no injuries and only "limited property damage" in the incident, which happened near the town of Market Weighton in Yorkshire at around 1715 GMT on Thursday, the air force spokesman said.

The 25 lb (11 kg) practice bomb was dropped by a F-15E Strike Eagle on a routine training run from a base in eastern England.

"Trained and experienced base personnel including Ministry of Defence, and local constabulary authorities responded to the scene and an investigation team is determining the cause the incident," the spokesman said.

01/12/04 13:04

Link

The headline really caught me by surprise!

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 06:32 AM   #2
Donut
Jack Burton

Come friendly bombs and drop on Yorkshire!

At least it wasn't Slough!

[ 01-13-2004, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: Donut ]
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 10:21 AM   #3
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
US jet accidentally drops unarmed bomb in Britain

LONDON, Jan 12 (Reuters) - The United States Air Force is investigating how one of its fighter jets dropped an unarmed bomb onto the countryside in northern England last week, a spokesman said on Monday.

There were no injuries and only "limited property damage" in the incident, which happened near the town of Market Weighton in Yorkshire at around 1715 GMT on Thursday, the air force spokesman said.

The 25 lb (11 kg) practice bomb was dropped by a F-15E Strike Eagle on a routine training run from a base in eastern England.

"Trained and experienced base personnel including Ministry of Defence, and local constabulary authorities responded to the scene and an investigation team is determining the cause the incident," the spokesman said.

01/12/04 13:04

Link

The headline really caught me by surprise!

Mark

I believe these are called "Training accidents" [img]smile.gif[/img]
On a serious note, people are injured and killed every single day in the US armed forces, due to accidents and mistakes. It is refered to as the price of doing business. Kind of cold, but accurate.

[ 01-13-2004, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]
Old 01-13-2004, 10:49 AM   #4
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Leave it to the Britts to spoil a good practical joke.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:57 AM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I can hear the guy now saying...

"Hmmm, I wonder what this button does?"
Press
"uh oh..."
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 10:59 AM   #6
MagiK

Not THAT left button, YOUR OTHER LEFT!!!!

Trainees, gotta love em. Just glad no one was hurt or killed.
Old 01-13-2004, 03:19 PM   #7
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Strangely enough the defence of: "Oh, this? Yeah, it happens all the time...", doesn't really put my mind at rest. Not sure why exactly.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Barry the Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 03:32 PM   #8
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:
Strangely enough the defence of: "Oh, this? Yeah, it happens all the time...", doesn't really put my mind at rest. Not sure why exactly.

What defense? It is a fact of life, ya got to live with them. hell even the Universe drops tons of rock on you every day (meteors and meteroites)....don't see you worrying about that [img]smile.gif[/img] or maybe you do...I don't

Listen, a person can spend their life worrying about things with astronomical odds or they can live happy productive lives...but probably can't do both at the same time.
Old 01-13-2004, 04:13 PM   #9
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

I believe these are called "Training accidents" [img]smile.gif[/img]
On a serious note, people are injured and killed every single day in the US armed forces, due to accidents and mistakes. It is refered to as the price of doing business. Kind of cold, but accurate.
AFAIK British civilians aren't enlisted in the US army. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I may of course be wrong.

I must admit I had a good laugh reading the headline.

Larry, LOL!
Old 01-13-2004, 04:26 PM   #10
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

MagiK, even if the odds are astronomical I'd like to see them reduced if its possible. I'm not saying this happens all the time but once is too often when its preventable.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Barry the Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote