Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2003, 12:32 PM   #1
Cristian
Emerald Dragon

im wondering which game you people like the most baldursgate 1 or baldursgate 2 for me its number 2 actually i loved nr 1 but after i was finished i just waited for baldursgate II and when it came it was better in every way and it was all i loved from nr 1 but with more features and better graphics^^
Old 05-11-2003, 01:02 PM   #2
IronDragon
Elminster

I definitely enjoyed BG2 more. Not because of the improved graphics (which are nice) but because of the strong plot driven story line. There ewer several times in BG1 where I had to hunt through the journal trying to figure out where I was supposed to go next. While I would have enjoyed a few more NPC choices in BG2 I have grown quite fond of the individual characters.

Now if the creators would come out with a new series to entertain us life would be perfect.
Old 05-11-2003, 01:54 PM   #3
Raistlin Majere
Ra

With a little(ok, alot) of improving(and getting used to the engíne) i belive the Bioware team can make some excellent games using the neverwinter nights game engine.

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 02:29 AM   #4
Merlin from Amber
Manshoon

Definitely BG 2.
I don't think that strong RPGs like BG 2, IWD 2 should go 3D like NWN. It is unusal feeling and ... I think that the shooters and adventures should be 3D.
I just don't like 3D RPGs. Forexample ES III Morrowind. That game needs a comuter like the one that Unreal II needs in order to play normal ...
Merlin from Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 05:19 AM   #5
Legolas
Jack Burton

Definately BG1. There's more freedom to explore and the fights are both much more challenging (even requiring tactics now and again) and more realistic. Having fewer spells per character really adds to the challenge as well.

BG2 does have it's advantages in graphics (but they don't count for much), it has more and longer quests and the magic factor is greater, not to mention the increased NPC interaction.
But the plot is somewhat weaker (although Irenicus is a superb badguy), the amount of magic, while cool, may well be overkill, the magic items seem to be scattered everywhere (up to the point where you think "Another +2 weapon? I'll just leave it here, it's not worth the effort of carrying it to a store") and, and this was the main reason I preferred BG1, it feels much more linear (too much emphasis on following the main storyline).
Also, is it just me or are most BG2 fights more routine and less struggle for survival?

That's not to say I thoroughly enjoyed both parts of the series though, the comments are merely made relative to one another [img]smile.gif[/img]

BTW, you may see this thread get relocated to the polls forum someday soon
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 06:05 AM   #6
pcgiant
Symbol of Cyric

At the moment, I like BG2 better.

But, when I compare the fun of BG1 the first time through to the fun of BG2 the first time through, BG1 wins. It had so many places to explore, and quests to do. BG2, while good, couldn't compare to the time I had playing BG1. Of course, this is probably because BG1 was the first RPG I had ever played, and BG2 wasn't too different in many respects, so it wasn't exactly a new experience. I like both games, but I'm finding it extremely difficult to 'get back into' BG1. The characters are too slow, the sprites too big, it just seems too annoying, for the moment, anyway. I'll give it a serious go someday.

I seem to miss a lot of the fun of the game by playing with BG2 exportation in mind, thinking things like 'grab all the tomes, get the golden pantaloons, then win the game and get to BG2'.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:17 PM   #7
WhoaGod
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I enjoyed Baldur's Gate 1 better, being able to explore everywhere and the low levelness, no lvl 20 mages casting time-stop and stuff... The fighting was more challenging and the best items u can get in game are like +2 weapons, and full plate mail.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:34 PM   #8
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

BG1 definitely.

After a while, playing 30th level characters just gets boring. Nothing in the game is a challenge unless you dump some Uber mod in.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 04:56 PM   #9
Azaghal
The Magister

I basically agree with pcgiant. BG 1 was really a tremendous experience to play through for the first time. So BG 2 just added another dimension to this, but - boy - what a big one! I always feel like playing BG 2 again with a new character cause it grants so many possibilities BG 1 did not offer. But I did give BG 1 another try not long ago - and it was worth it. So think about it pcgiant.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:27 PM   #10
pcgiant
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Azaghal:
I basically agree with pcgiant. BG 1 was really a tremendous experience to play through for the first time. So BG 2 just added another dimension to this, but - boy - what a big one! I always feel like playing BG 2 again with a new character cause it grants so many possibilities BG 1 did not offer. But I did give BG 1 another try not long ago - and it was worth it. So think about it pcgiant.
I did give it a try not so long ago, but I felt too frustrated with the overall slowness of the system. I know I'll eventually get back into it, and still remember with fondness the way I felt the first time I played it, exploring every single area. However, I doubt this will be repeated, because BG2 is far more superior, in many many ways. I still hope to be able to enjoy it when I play it, though.