Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-09-2003, 05:25 PM   #21
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
If you check the info on front end crashes you'll find that small cars do just as well in the type of crash you had. They are designed to have the front end 'smash' to absorb the kenetic energy from a crash, and transfer as much as possible to the frame surrounding the passenger compartment.
The problem is that there is FAR too little crush area in modern subcompacts, plus the fact that most subcompacts these days (especially the jap imports) have body metal the thickness of tracing paper.

A friend of mine bought a honda for his wife, the ease of which the damned thing dented in (by leaning on, for example) is just ludicrous.

As a mechanic, I think it's a disgrace the way cars are built these days. "Safety" my a$$.

EDIT>
Quote:
Not to get OT here, but hitting a gardrail (which is designed to absorb impact and arrest the motion of the vechicle) vs hitting another vechicle are two different thinks. Besides what hit you that managed to do so much damage as essentailly a human running speed.
Hate to burst your bubble, but this is VERY common. I once saw a Suzuki Swift after it ran over a raccoon at 30km/hr. The rad was history, and the entire front end was crushed in.

The owner just laughed when I reached down and pulled the frame out by hand.

[ 01-09-2003, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Sir Krustin ]
Old 01-09-2003, 05:27 PM   #22
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Krustin:
quote:
If you check the info on front end crashes you'll find that small cars do just as well in the type of crash you had. They are designed to have the front end 'smash' to absorb the kenetic energy from a crash, and transfer as much as possible to the frame surrounding the passenger compartment.
The problem is that there is FAR too little crush area in modern subcompacts, plus the fact that most subcompacts these days (especially the jap imports) have body metal the thickness of tracing paper.

A friend of mine bought a honda for his wife, the ease of which the damned thing dented in (by leaning on, for example) is just ludicrous.

As a mechanic, I think it's a disgrace the way cars are built these days. "Safety" my a$$.
[/QUOTE]As a 'mechanic' you should know that in modern car the strength is in the frame not the cosmetic body panels.
Old 01-09-2003, 05:32 PM   #23
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
As a 'mechanic' you should know that in modern car the strength is in the frame not the cosmetic body panels.
*ahem* Modern cars don't have frames, they are whats called unibody design. That is to say, the body is the frame.
Old 01-09-2003, 05:36 PM   #24
ElricMorlockin
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
I personally think that doing anything that backstabbing turncoat Arianna Huffington wanted me to do would let the terrorists win.
Amen to that! Owning an SUV employs one helluva lot of people, maybe Huffinton should try getting a real job?

[ 01-09-2003, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: ElricMorlockin ]
Old 01-09-2003, 06:01 PM   #25
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Was everyone here aware that during the 90's Birkenstock was shown to donate a large chunk of its profits to Nazi party members in South America? Birkenstocks must be evil too - what will the unwashed college masses and professors do now?
Old 01-09-2003, 06:25 PM   #26
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
what will the unwashed college masses and professors do now?
Hopefully, go get real jobs and quit bothering us normal people. Damn activists [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2003, 06:41 PM   #27
HolyWarrior
User Suspended for 2 weeks by Ziroc [Dec30]

Riddle me this, Batman.

Why is it that the same leftist environmental wackos who so oppose SUVs because they use Mideast oil turn around and keep us dependent on Mideast oil by not allowing drilling in Alaska?

Check the American terrorists thread for more of this stupidity.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:08 PM   #28
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
Hopefully, go get real jobs and quit bothering us normal people. Damn activists [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img]
This is pretty much off the topic of the original thread. Just want to answer this quoted point as it is one that truly, above all else, irks me.

So, if you want all students and professors to go and "get real jobs" because they aren't "normal people" are you saying you are not in favour of higher education at all? Or are you simply saying that if you are involved in higher education you should not be allowed to have a political voice (lets forget all about the "get a real job" bit for that one, shall we? I expect that a large number of people went to University on this forum and it does them a disservice to say that they shouldn't have bothered but instead they should have got a "real job").

Either way, whichever one you are saying, I can't see a single strand of logic to back up your idea. I hate it when people say things along that line - it utterly dimisses the arguments of a group of people for no other reason than their occupation. So students aren't allowed a voice who is exactly? If you can only voice your opinion if you are gainfully employed then are the retired allowed a say? The unemployed? Just taking your argument to its logical conclusion. Not even that, in fact, as you propose that some jobs aren't even "real" (professors for example) so who knows where you draw the line between who can have their say and who can't. Does everyone who educates for a living not have a real job?

Ah, forget it, this just gets me sooooo uptight. I'll try and stay away from this thread for a bit.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 01-09-2003, 07:51 PM   #29
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Take deep breaths , Barry. I wasnt attacking professors and schoolkids. I was just makeing a smart ass remark about the unwashed masses and the lazy "activists". Since you took the time to post such a large response I will at least pay you the respect to answer it.

Quote:
So, if you want all students and professors to go and "get real jobs" because they aren't "normal people" are you saying you are not in favour of higher education at all? Or are you simply saying that if you are involved in higher education you should not be allowed to have a political voice (lets forget all about the "get a real job" bit for that one, shall we? I expect that a large number of people went to University on this forum and it does them a disservice to say that they shouldn't have bothered but instead they should have got a "real job").
To start , ALL students should have some kind of job when they are going through school. Depending on handouts from the state or from their parents breeds lazieness and a "someone else will fix it" attitude. Higher education is a priveledge , not a right.Being involved in higher education doesnt exclude you from haveing opinions , but you should keep that opinion to yourself!! Teachers are dealing with impressionable students and shouldnt be allowed to push their own personal agendas around a class room. As for University being a waste of time , well that depends on what you do with it. If you put it to use like TL and Attalus do , then NO you didnt waste your time. If you did like my friend and went through 6 years of University only to decide to be a car salesman then YES you wasted both time and money.

Quote:
Either way, whichever one you are saying, I can't see a single strand of logic to back up your idea. I hate it when people say things along that line - it utterly dimisses the arguments of a group of people for no other reason than their occupation. So students aren't allowed a voice who is exactly? If you can only voice your opinion if you are gainfully employed then are the retired allowed a say? The unemployed? Just taking your argument to its logical conclusion. Not even that, in fact, as you propose that some jobs aren't even "real" (professors for example) so who knows where you draw the line between who can have their say and who can't. Does everyone who educates for a living not have a real job?
As far as this whole block goes my opinions are as follows, A If you cant or DONT vote then you have no say., B If you dont have a job or are living on handouts from the government then you should shut up and be thankfull someone is there to make up the slack from your lazieness. Even wheelchair bound and blind people can hold down jobs., C A "real"job is any job where you get paid for preforming a task. So , no I dont consider being a student a job. A job builds character and work ethics and shows you what you can do with whatever talents you possess.
Old 01-09-2003, 08:37 PM   #30
Djinn Raffo
Ra

suv sux.