Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 12-04-2000, 02:31 PM   #1
Antiar

hey, how do I find out about the demilich quest? also, how do I get through the warded door into the mind flayer lair?

Old 12-04-2000, 03:19 PM   #2
Zenith
Elite Waterdeep Guard

You find out about the demilich quest in the house to the left of Maevar's(sp) thieves guild house in the docks district. 2 options for warded doors in mindflayer lair. 1) Use a flayer under control of the collars. send it right up to the door. 2) Change into Slayer.
Old 12-05-2000, 12:29 AM   #3
Magnus Magnificent

I just finished the Flayers off last night. I hacked them to death with swords, axes, and missile weapons. (no summoning required) I did use Chaotic Command and I had my thief hide and explore a lot. I found the room where you can make potions that block Psionic attacks. I used 2 fighters to draw attacks, then unloaded with everyone. You're right, Magness, you still have to watch for that Int drain. It took me a couple of fights to figure that one out. Opening the doors was obvious.

Old 12-05-2000, 01:24 AM   #4
Sebastian_Kell

just an added thing about the warded doors, for some reason in my game the room that continually generates mindflayers to put the collars on ceased to produced mind flayers and unfortunately I still needed to get into the Brain room. To fix this I summoned one via the built in codes. The code is CreateCreature("mindfl01") if this happens creating one close to the door opens it immediately no collar required.

Old 12-05-2000, 07:30 AM   #5
Bruce The Aussie
Fzoul Chembryl

I think mind flayers are too hard if you don't summon stuff. well alone there easy but together they're too hard also i coudnt open the warded doors so i gave up &loaded a save outside the flayers pad
Old 12-05-2000, 10:20 AM   #6
Magness
Quintesson

Bruce the Aussie,

Massed mindflayers aren't all that tough with a little preparation. I wrote a thread on this a couple days ago entitled "Aggressive Mindflayer tactics" describing how to take groups of mindflayers head-on with NO summoned monsters without breaking a sweat!!!

This is the quick-and-dirty outline ...
1. Cast the priest spell Chaotic Commands on your fighters. It protects against most of the psionic attacks. Only INT drain remains effective.
2. (optional) Have the fighters drink the Mind Focusing potion. It provides a little extra protection against the INT drain.

Taking these 2 protective steps will allow a party's fighters to clear out an entire mindflayer dungeon without breaking a sweat.

Use 3 fighters if possible, since when one of the fighters takes a couple INT drain hits, you'll need to pull him out of the battle long enough for the INT drain to go away. The other 2 fighters will keep up the pressure until the 3rd fighter returns. Only use the other party members from a distance. Keep the mindflayers fully focused on your protected fighters.