Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2002, 10:14 AM   #11
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Brass:
I haven't looked, but I think there's some mutual exclusivity hard-coded into the game to prevent the wearing of multiple rings/amulets. If you create an item of that kind, I don't think you can remove the problem of limited usability within the IEEP parameters.

Thinking about it, I don't have a clue as to where that part of the game code might reside...
I think there are flags within the object that control whether or not something is magical. I know the the Red Dragon Scale Mail bug was caused by this flag, but whether it is present in BG1 I dont know.

If its hard coded and were *real* lucky, searching the EXE for those codes with a hex editor and nulling them would do it. Will load one up tonight.
Old 11-08-2002, 10:58 AM   #12
Grungi
Banned User

nah course you dont need it, i can easily hit -9 -6 and even -3 (on my mage) in the same party with what we do get, its just always fun to try and see what you can get it down to, supertanked chars, i doubt anyone would be playing for the first time whilst using cheat items what would be the point of that
Grungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 06:28 PM   #13
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

There is a flag extant within IEEP which denotes an item as magical. If you do not select this, the item may not show up as magical in terms of inventory definition, but it would still have the effects that you "equipped" it with.

You're quite right really Mr. Underhill. However, I would say two things:

First, as Grungi states, it's interesting to see what you could do.

Second, item creation is the easiest way to start to learn the Infinity Engine and the things that you can do with it.

[ 11-08-2002, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: Lord Brass ]
Old 11-09-2002, 10:46 AM   #14
Vedran
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by I wish my name was Baggins:
Am I the a$$hole here when I wonder why all of this is necessary???
Well, actually, two RoP+2, AoP and an enchanted armor help a lot in BG2. Now I started BG1 again and the limitation is very irritating. It is not as needed in BG2 as in BG2, I agree.
And only 20 arrows per slot is killing me...

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
I think there are flags within the object that control whether or not something is magical.
As I said (either you haven't read it or I wrote it inapprehensible - in this case let me know), I saved pearl necklace as AMUL14 (which is AoP), and it was "excluding item". Then I saved AoP as AMUL11 (which is pearl necklace), and it wasn't "excluding item". So, it depends of the code of the item. That means the flag is not in the item file but in .exe or somewhere.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Brass:
There is a flag extant within IEEP which denotes an item as magical. If you do not select this, the item may not show up as magical in terms of inventory definition, but it would still have the effects that you "equipped" it with.
RoP has that flag checked, meaning it is magical.
But, Ring of Fire Res. has it checked as well. And it is not "excluding item".
What this flag is for?
And, what you imply with "magical in terms of inventory definition"?
Vedran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 11:14 AM   #15
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Vedran:

quote:
I think there are flags within the object that control whether or not something is magical.
As I said (either you haven't read it or I wrote it inapprehensible - in this case let me know), I saved pearl necklace as AMUL14 (which is AoP), and it was "excluding item". Then I saved AoP as AMUL11 (which is pearl necklace), and it wasn't "excluding item". So, it depends of the code of the item. That means the flag is not in the item file but in .exe or somewhere. [/QUOTE]I searched the exe, AMUL14 does not occur in it. I dont think they would have bothered to hide it, so I dont think this is hardcoded to the exe.

It has to be in one of the data files.
Old 11-09-2002, 07:55 PM   #16
Vedran
Lord Soth

Quote:
It has to be in one of the data files.
And it is!
Check default.bif, lines 6BBF2 to 6BCE2. (I hope. I rarely use hex-editors.)
I would erase those immediately and check, but I am too sleepy... Will do in the morning.
Vedran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 10:48 AM   #17
Billy Yank
The Magister

Item exclusion is handled by a file called itemexcl.2da. Anything listed in that file cannot be worn with anything else in that file. You might be able to turn of item exclusion simply by putting an empty file named itemexcl.2da in the override directory.
Old 11-11-2002, 02:24 PM   #18
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Billy Yank:
Item exclusion is handled by a file called itemexcl.2da. Anything listed in that file cannot be worn with anything else in that file. You might be able to turn of item exclusion simply by putting an empty file named itemexcl.2da in the override directory.
Yup, thats it. Create an empty file with that name, watch out for windows habit of attaching its own extensions to anything you create, and you can mix items that you really shoudnt be able to.
Old 11-14-2002, 05:03 PM   #19
Dragis
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I can't find the file Itemescl.2da but i created a file in averirde with that name but it still doesn't work
Dragis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 05:31 PM   #20
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Dragis:
I can't find the file Itemescl.2da but i created a file in averirde with that name but it still doesn't work
Its itemexcl.2da. Get it wrong and nothing will happen.

There isnt suppsoed to be a file with that name in override - override is for modifications and updates, files there are read in preference to the files the game stores internaly.

Also, if you create it in notepad, theres a fair chance your file was called itemexcl.2da.txt, you need get rid of that .txt.

Easiest was is to go into the override folder, then

start->run->command

dir *itemexcl* // This will give you the exact filename

ren itemexcl.2da.txt itemexcl.2da // this will rename the file, you may need to change the filenames though

exit // back to windows