Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2001, 12:13 AM   #1
rip.slaughter

Yep!

I saw the first film and yes it wasn't great, in fact the reason it wasn't completed, so I am led to believe, was that they ran out of money as the backers did not want to re-invest, as they thought the first half of the film was shit, to put it politely. If I remember it was a mix of real live actors (in the fight scenes) over drawn with cartoon animations!

The film I think ended after the battle at Helms Deep, and Frodo was about to enter Moria.

Anyway to go back to the new film it has to be superior in all aspects to the original... or so we hope?

Old 01-05-2001, 12:17 AM   #2
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Something would be exceedingly out of the ordinary if this current movie did not absolutely blow the old one out of the water.
Old 01-05-2001, 12:35 AM   #3
rip.slaughter

Sorry, my last comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek, I have seen the trailer and there is no comparison between the two.

I think the budget for all three films is in the region of nearly 700 million dollars. So I think it is right to expect something for the money.

Old 01-05-2001, 12:55 AM   #4
Merc Widowmaker

Yes I've been following the progress of the movie with great interest. I feel that Tolkien IS the best fantasy writer of the last 80 years and have been wondering what kind of liscence the makers of the movie were going to take with the plot etc. The book (Lord of the rings) is a very full and exciting story with alot of depth. Im sure when Tolkien first submitted his book to his publishers they told him that it was to long and that he may or may not have removed some passages or chapters. But what was left was probably, in his mind, essential to the story. Tom Bombadil IS an important element of the story. Tom Bombadil is unaffected by changes in Middle Earth, it is hinted that he was as old as Middle Earth itself. Yet even he is in peril as the dark encroaches and not EVEN he could protect his woods from the enemy. This whole thread in the story is to afirm that there is no alternative but to destroy the ring. If they dont, then NOTHING in middle Earth that is good, or natural (part of the song of gods) will survive.

I dont expect that the movie will represent the book acuratly in a way that would have been acceptable to Tolkien (NB my opinion ... and just that, an opinion), however its been more the 23 years since the book was published (I think in 1977) and time for the younger generation to be exposed to Tolkiens work. Perhaps the movie will encourage some people to read the book and maybe even some of his other books like the Silmarilion, Book of Lost Tales etc. I for one will go see the movie out of interest and will decide after seeing the first one if I will see the second and third. I do hope that they FINNISH ALL THREE and not leave some people hanging like they did last time.

Old 01-05-2001, 09:03 AM   #5
rip.slaughter

Come on all you RPGers and fantasy nuts out there, who of you have heard of the new Lord of the Rings Movie and who of you are as sad as me to sit and download all 27˝MB of trailer of the film from the website.

Anyway, if you have, what do you think?

Is it really right to make a film of a book that has lived so well in our imaginations. Can it ever possibly do it justice.

Has technology finally caught up with Tolkiens Imagination.

The trailer certainly has me dribbling with excitement, but will it all be another Star Wars - Phantom Menace?

Also what do you think of it split in three parts for release christmas 2001, 2002, 2003

Just a few of the many questions that can be asked.

I would be intrested to hear your comments, especially if you have read the book and know what to expect.

PS If you have seen the trailer didn,t the Orcs and Ringwraiths look good....... or should that be bad!
Bloody good mass army scenes as well....

Old 01-05-2001, 09:11 AM   #6
bocaj

I have read the books and they are good. I just hope the movies are good too.

Old 01-05-2001, 09:24 AM   #7
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

No
No
No
Yuk.

Still as long as it's not as bad as the pathetic drivel that was attempted before, it may be passable. How can they accurately convey the historical depth, the scope, the hugeness of the land, the sense of time or the myriad creatures. The creatures work in the imagination but always seem cheesy when brought into the screen.

We'll be no worse off than Anne Rice fans I suppose, or those of any other book adapted to film.

They're two different mediums. What works in the minds eye doesn't always translate. Like Dune. Great film, loved it. But then I read the book and realise the extent to which it was compressed!

I'll be watching it though, of that you can be certain. Can't wait.
Old 01-05-2001, 10:52 AM   #8
Squirrel's_Avenger

The website to check out the movie in depth is "theonering.com".
It is gonna be so kick ass.
They have really gone all out on this project. I wouldnt care if they made Gandalf a muppet as long as they come out with another movie. A lot of people have been giving the director sh*t because they dont like his interpretation (and he's leaving out people like Tom Bombadil) but for the most part people are excited. I love to hear other peoples interpretation of that book. They've spent some ridiculous amount of money making it. They need the movie to get people interested in the book again. I talked with my little brother the other day (18 years old) and neither he nor his friends had ever even heard of the books. Sad sad sad.

Old 01-05-2001, 10:57 AM   #9
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Yeah but you can skip the Tom Bombadill section and not miss a thing. It's like an optional sidequest wouldn't you say?
Old 01-05-2001, 11:06 AM   #10
Kalgrog

Gimme a break Yorick!

Have you even read up on the making of Lotr? Have you looked at the trailers? Have you seen the kind of money and time and commitment going into all three films, which coincide with the 3 original books of the story?

Don't just spout off how it will be like this or that or another movie made from a book. You have to give everything a chance before you knock it down as obsolete. Dune was compressed and over an hour was cut from the release. I think what these people are doing is the right thing. Make all three movies at once and then release them one year apart.

I can tell you that you will not be disappointed when you see the films. If you love the stories you can't help but to love any adaptation of them shown to you. If you whine about them skipping a certain part or not doing what you think is total justice to a character, then you are being a egotistical perfectionist. No one can do it perfect. No fan will totally satisfied with an adaptation. Relax.

And enjoy the stories you love.