Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-26-2004, 11:49 PM   #41
Chewbacca
Zartan

Ban cars. They kill people and people can kill other people with them. Cars are a health hazard we shouldnt have to tolerate. Even people who drive safely should be banned, the risk to themselves and others is still too much.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:32 AM   #42
Gxc
Elminster

Thats why im never going to smoke or drink. Im that good.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:38 AM   #43
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Blind_Prophet:
People that drink alot of times smoke and people that smoke that can't smoke and drunk = angry = would rather drink somewhere else
If people get angry with drink they should not drink

They wont be able to drink somewhere else because the 'somewhere else' will also be banned from smoking and the very few who can not handle that concept = tough !!

Now thankfully the majority that dont smoke that stay away from pubs and clubs can now return or go more often because they will now be able to breathe. As Lennon cook says the numbers of pup users will go up.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 11-27-2004, 12:57 AM   #44
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by burnzey boi:
Smoking can be one of the worst things to do, and most of you know that. i reckon they should ban it where people usualy are, like resteraunts and pubs.
it could help a bit with the global warming and make the air healthier. plus you are more likely to perish smoking than any other way. its like commiting suicide!
I thought we nailed the last one of you to a cross 2004 years ago, seems we forgot one. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2004, 02:47 AM   #45
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
Obviuosly you have yet to get your head around the concept of BAN

There will be NO bars or restaurants with smoking allowed, therefore there is NO competition too no smoking bars or restaurants.
If there is only one no smoking bar in a city, it has no competition for the anti-smoking market. If there is a smoking ban, the same bar is competing with every other bar in the city for the anti-smoking market.
I'm not sure how economics works on your planet, but here on Earth, you can't increase the demand for something by increasing the supply.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:16 AM   #46
wellard
Dracolisk

Mad

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirty Meg:
quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
Obviuosly you have yet to get your head around the concept of BAN

There will be NO bars or restaurants with smoking allowed, therefore there is NO competition too no smoking bars or restaurants.
If there is only one no smoking bar in a city, it has no competition for the anti-smoking market. If there is a smoking ban, the same bar is competing with every other bar in the city for the anti-smoking market.
I'm not sure how economics works on your planet, but here on Earth, you can't increase the demand for something by increasing the supply.
[/QUOTE] As mentioned before I thought the concept of a BAN was simple but maybe I was wrong. The laws of economics become irrelevant dirty meg when one of the options becomes banned

Example...
In NSW there are no restaurants or cafe offering smoking areas because they have been banned for about 4 years now. *Looks through the phone book for a smoking allowed cafe and finds none* The supply and demand for smoking / no smoking becomes irrelevant because there is NO cafe which is allowed a smoking area! So in a nutshell even on my planet, market forces for or against smoking, are irrelevant. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

What is relevant is that drug addicted smokers only make up about a 1/4 of the population and are quickly dying out. Thankfully those of us who like to breathe fresh air will be doing so in full smoke free bars soon. Leaving others, maybe like yourself, to FUME all they want to outside

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 11-27-2004, 04:52 AM   #47
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

I don't smoke (not that it matters).
If there are no pubs in which people can smoke, people who smoke will just spend less time in pubs. You could argue that this will be compensated for by more non-smokers going into pubs, but if this were the case, non-smoking pubs would be viable anyway.
I can see the case for a public smoking ban (worker safety, public health), but if you think that pubs will make more money with a smoking ban than without, you are living in a dream world.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:47 AM   #48
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Whether you smoke or not doesn't have any proven effect on your personality. The point of this is not Smokers are evil!!!, but rather Smoking is bad for non-smokers health and working conditions. If those GIs didn't smoke, we would be just as free: the victory came from their fighting, not their smoking.
My reason is simple. We (smokers) are contributing as much as the non-smokers. Kindly be telerant of what we are.

Smoking control, I fully support. Smoking ban on all pubs and restaurant... I do not agree. Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree, but we smokers are paying customers too. Just provide an isolated place/section where we can dine and smoke our lungs out. That is all I am asking. Maybe that concept is too much for your guys to accept, but as a smoker, I think it is a fair request. Again, this might not apply to certain country or region. For towns or cities that have little or very little smokers among the population, smoking ban has already been enforced in eating/drinking establishment.

In reality, there are far worst things that could harm our environment or kill us outright but we are banning them because we are very dependant on them. For example, car. We needed them so badly that we are able to tolerate them and we keep on using them and poluting our environment.

Perhaps taking in second hand smoke in the pub might cause lung cancer. But breathing all those exhaust fumes and smokes (from vehicles) does takes its toll on your body too. But we can't ban car, can we?

I have heard technicians in work places complaining about second hand smoke while they are literally choking with toxic fume from soldering leads compared to anything else. Sure, ban us outright. No more smoking zone. No second hand smoke. Sure. Please continue to enjoy your fine selection of toxic fumes and have a nice day.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:11 AM   #49
Manwe
Manshoon

I've never smoked, really, just "tried"
I guess I should be lucky or something, alot of people starts smoking when doing their military service, I didn't. I have no problems with smokers though, but I agree it's a bit irritating if someone smokes near me, but other than that, I dont care. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2004, 11:19 AM   #50
coyote696
The Magister

here is my 2 cents worth:
yes smoking is bad for you, all us that smoke make a concious choice to do so, and we psy for ity in more ways than one, in our area the resteraunts have been slowly trying to ban smoking in their business, however bars/ pubs are not trying to do this as they are well aware of the loss of businesss that will occur. Most pub owners cannot tollerate even a slight drop in the business they are recieving.

oh and did you know that the reason that governments do not ban smoking and drinking is 2 fold : first it would be inmpossible to enforce such a ban. second with all the extra taxes that smokers and drinkers pay to enjoy their habits if all of us went one week without buying cigarettes and booze tha govt would suffer a major loss of income . as cigarettes are taxes about 200 + times their value adn beer and alchohol have additional 40% tax on them prior to the sales tax placed on them. the cost of making these products have not gone up thaty much in the past 10 years however the cost of purchasing has more than quadrupled in the same time because of taxes.

back to resteraunts, it is perfectly legal for me to open an non smoking resteraunt that caters only to you non smokers out there, But if I was to open a Resteraunt that would only allow smokers I ouuld be burned at the steak for being prejudiced against non smokers and I would lose my business, so where is the fairness in that?????????
those of us that smoke do so of our own free will. and most of us are not rude and try not to offend you that do not smoke, but do not try and make us out to be the bad guys here, YOU NON SMOKERS are the ones showing prejudice and unfair i deals and trying to shun us for the choices we make.