Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2001, 10:32 AM   #11
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

TOB will run smoothly on a Athlon, though IWD can have some issues, espacially the HOW expansion (GRRRR).
Citizen Kabuto I have never tried, but I heard the graphic is rreally good and that alone can be worth the go for your new card!

ENJOY YOUR LITTLE MONSTER! D:

------------------

Howling to the moon, cause this world seems so far away..
Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
Old 10-05-2001, 10:38 AM   #12
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by WOLFGIR:
TOB will run smoothly on a Athlon, though IWD can have some issues, espacially the HOW expansion (GRRRR).

Oh nuts - what kind of issues? *panic*

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-05-2001, 10:39 AM   #13
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Thanks for all the suggestions folks! - confirmed my suspicions that Geforce 3 was the way to go.

Went shopping yesterday, and found my dream graphics card - the Elsa Gladiac 920 as I originally wanted. It is a Geforce 3 card, and has loads of impressive sounding numbers. It is bundled with a specially enhanced version of Giants: Citizen Kabuto - is this game any good? (Not that I bought it for the game but it could be a bonus if it is worth playing)

It did cost me more than a weeks take home pay though. I felt a bit faint afterwards! Upgrade at the weekend - Abit motherboard, 1.1Gb Athlon processor, 256 Mb RAM and of course my lovely shiny graphics card.

So hopefully TOB won't be choppy like it is at the moment, and I might actually be able to run Arcanum....
So now I can put myself forward for a BGII/TOB multi without worrying that my PC will ruin it - it currently takes over 3 minutes to load a new location *groan* and the lag is incredible!

Please tell us if Giants is a good game, I've considered buying it myself, as for Arcanum running smoothly, I've got 950 Mhz processor(Don't ask), a Geforce 2 MX and 128 Mb RAM(Or more, I can never remember.) and on my comp Arcanum sometimes hangs for 5 seconds or something like that, location loadtimes aren't too bad though.

Old 10-05-2001, 10:58 AM   #14
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Oh nuts - what kind of issues? *panic*

Well I got kicked out to the desktop every now and then, and the perps in the game moved as in slowmotion and it felt like tha PC screamed in terror every time I got close to the icon to start the game :S

I have heard that if you choose average settings in the setup, you can avoid alot of theese troubles, though I have never tried it. Playing the game made be closed to crying every time.. I really enjoyed IWD´s mindless hack´n slash every now and then.. *sniffle*

------------------

Howling to the moon, cause this world seems so far away..
Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
Old 10-05-2001, 11:33 AM   #15
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Well I got kicked out to the desktop every now and then, and the perps in the game moved as in slowmotion and it felt like tha PC screamed in terror every time I got close to the icon to start the game :S

I have heard that if you choose average settings in the setup, you can avoid alot of theese troubles, though I have never tried it. Playing the game made be closed to crying every time.. I really enjoyed IWD´s mindless hack´n slash every now and then.. *sniffle*

That's what TOB is doing to me at the moment. My old system is turning a fun game into a trial of patience! Hopefully it will be better after the upgrade, but I hope IWD runs OK too, I haven't played TOTLM yet!

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-05-2001, 02:03 PM   #16
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir_Tainly:

Go for Nvidia, get the best Geforce you can buy, I have one and its the best card I ever had, handles everything I could want and I have never managed to really tax it

I agree with Sir here The GF3 cards rock, Personally I have the Herculese Prophet3 and have yet to slow it down.

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.

Old 10-06-2001, 05:20 AM   #17
Prime2U
Zhentarim Guard

if you have 1.1 processor 256 meg RAM and a geforce 3 of any type I serously doubt you'll lag on any game currently on the market, don't care what it is.
have fun and I never thought I'd have to say this withing 3 years of building my system, but I'm jealous!!!! hehehe

[This message has been edited by Prime2U (edited 10-06-2001).]
Old 10-06-2001, 08:22 AM   #18
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

I have an Athalon 750mhz and have never had a problem with TOB or IWD. I did as Wolfgir mentioned and ran the program as if I had an average processor. I set up TOB for a friend of mine (he had a pentium ???mhz) and when we set up the processor as above average, he had lag and a few bugs. Moving the processor setup back to average, TOB ran without a problem.

------------------

Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.

"The only medicine for suffering, crime, and all the other woes of mankind, is wisdom." -- Thomas Huxley
Old 10-06-2001, 09:18 AM   #19
Mirac Honorguard
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:

Wolfie, I have the GeForce II MX, I have an Athlon (1 GHz) and IWD didn't have any problems here I never played IWD with the expansion.
Giant, Citizen Kabuto , is a nice, with reasonable graphics, kinda game, has totally no story but is fun to play once in a while, there is humor in it though (with the Mercs)!!!!

------------------
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/mirac
I'd be Mirac, mighty mage of er... uhm.. er.. - Mirac Honorguard
Fellow Table Dancer of the Jerome's Table dancer group
Spell formulater of the IW peace-keeping force
Old 10-06-2001, 11:10 AM   #20
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

gee im so jealous with all of you... my computer is only a Celeron 433mhz with 192 sd ram capability + Nvidia Riva Tnt 32mb video card only. my computer looks pathetic compared to you guys... however this computer lasted me for 2 years so i guess its time to upgrade again... . good computer's is easy to find these days but im short on budget ;( sigh!

------------------
Revived I Am to hunt this world... Banish ye evil or face my wrath...