Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast

Old 05-14-2006, 03:48 PM   #1
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

I just installed BG1 on my (relatively) new computer. BG1, then ToSC, then the ToSC official patch, then ToSC BaldurDash bugfix and text corrections. Sounds good, right?

Except it doesn't. The movies, music, ambient sounds, and sound effects (things like your footsteps) all work correctly, but the creature sounds--either party members talking, monsters being hit, or NPCs saying things--do not. Sometimes I will hear only the second half of the WAV file that should play, I can usually hear the whole thing if I double-click on the party member, but usually I don't hear anything at all.

I've already tried reinstalling, with no improvement. The hardware and drivers seem fine. I also installed BG2 on the same machine, and it seems to work perfectly.

Any ideas?
Old 05-14-2006, 10:26 PM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Are you using a soundcard? If yes, have you installed the latest drivers for it?

Alternatively, run BG1 on the BG2 engine using BGTutu. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] This is what I am currently doing on my PC. First time I am doing it, but it really rocks, especially with the tweaks that adjust all the GUI to the BG1 stone interface. Fighting battles in 1024x768, etc...

As a last resort, if it is WinXP, have you tried the compatibility mode? Make WinXP run the game as though it was on Win98.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:07 PM   #3
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Here's a shot...I don't think BG1 was made for 3D audio. So try disabling 3D audio. You don't need 3D audio unless you have 4 speakers.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:48 PM   #4
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Just updating. . . .

Thanks for the suggestions, but so far, nothing's worked. I tried adjusting BG1's Compatability settings to emulate Windows ME, no effect. I even installed Tutu (and some appropriate bugfixes & mods), and even that failed to help.

I'll try the 3D audio next, but I should think it would be off by default. My sound card is integrated into the motherboard, so it's very unlikely it's a driver problem, especially since the sounds from BG2 work just fine. It's quite bizarre.

[ADD]
Update #2: It seems that the Environmental Audio was the culprit, and in BG2 as well, which is odd. . . on my previous installation, I opened up BG2, the Env.Audio was on, and everything sounded fine--in fact, better than before, since I'd pulled up a Save file where we were in Chapter 5, and the echoes sounded really neat. But then, after I couldn't get Tutu to uninstall correctly, I did a clean sweep of everything: Both games, all mods, gone. Now I'm on a fresh reinstall of both games, and Environmental Audio is what controls being able to hear creature sounds--in both games. Beats me. Maybe some flag in the .INI files was partially to blame, as I copied the directories over from my old computer.

Thanks for your suggestions, guys! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-17-2006, 03:30 AM: Message edited by: SixOfSpades ]