Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2001, 09:15 AM   #21
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir_Tainly:
ok my soundcard is the SB live 5.1,

not sure which PCI slot its in, off the top off my head its towards the right looking from the back of the board.

BIOS is the one from April ish

no IRQ reallocation

Via 4 in 1? not sure is this one of the progs on the CD

I'll check better tonight when i'm at home

Regards

Simon

Many thanks - I'd be eternally grateful if you could check! The whole thing is just one big headache, and when I go to hardware websites I am confronted by fora full of people who have been building their own PCs since birth and seem to speak a very strange language...

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-08-2001, 09:16 AM   #22
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Many thanks - I'd be eternally grateful if you could check! The whole thing is just one big headache, and when I go to hardware websites I am confronted by fora full of people who have been building their own PCs since birth and seem to speak a very strange language...

ah ha beware I am one of those

------------------
Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

Old 10-08-2001, 09:25 AM   #23
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
ah ha beware I am one of those

Sir Tainly: Casts Confusion: Epona
Epona: Confused

------------------

Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-08-2001, 10:08 AM   #24
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Sir Tainly: Casts Confusion: Epona
Epona: Confused

Can you catch a front side bus?

------------------

Old 10-09-2001, 11:16 AM   #25
Sir_Tainly

ok my sound card is in fact in the second PCI slot from the left (how muddled can I be ) assuming looking at the board with the ports closest to you.

My Bios isn't the latest, but is the KT7ZT.EXE from 05/11/2001 i think

Don't know about the 4 in 1

------------------

Old 10-09-2001, 11:25 AM   #26
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
ok my sound card is in fact in the second PCI slot from the left (how muddled can I be ) assuming looking at the board with the ports closest to you.

My Bios isn't the latest, but is the KT7ZT.EXE from 05/11/2001 i think

Don't know about the 4 in 1

Sheesh! Fancy not remembering which PCI slot you used!

Thanks for this Sir T, you're a real star! Hopefully if I try the same set up there is no reason why mine shouldn't work too. Unfortunately I don't have the patience to spend hours fiddling with 'projects' like this! If it doesn't work after a few tries I just get disgusted and miserable. Hence I'm the sort of person that really shouldn't try building a PC themselves... I've been calling it an upgrade, but since I changed pretty much everything except the soundcard and HDD, that is a bit of an understatement!

------------------

Old 10-09-2001, 11:31 AM   #27
H. Sedai

I feel your pain. I installed a new motherboard and chip into my computer and had to disable the onboard sound and video. The motherboard uses a little bit of the RAM you have so you have no choice but to allocate at least 2 megs of memory to a disabled video card!! So, I now have 126 MB RAM for my OS.

I agree with the others that suggest getting a SB compatible sound card.

Much of the difficulties my friends have had has been with the Operating system and allocating of resources. If you give specifics about the Operating System etc, I may be able to help you out. Also, you can do this. If the sound card really has you pulling your hair out, then pack it back up again and find a little "mom & pop" computer shop. Offer a trade. Let them know that its your motherboard that has the problem and the sound card is really fine. They may give you a Sound blaster compatible card in trade. I also would try some websites that specifically talk about issues dealing with that type of sound card.

------------------
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
-Robert McCloskey

[This message has been edited by H. Sedai (edited 10-09-2001).]

Old 10-09-2001, 11:48 AM   #28
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by H. Sedai:

If you give specifics about the Operating System etc, I may be able to help you out.

Oooh!! Well, you've asked for it now!!

I use Windows 98 (with no intention of upgrading at the moment).
My hardware:

ABIT KT7 RAID mobo
AMD Athlon 1.1 GHz
256 Mb SDRAM (can't remember make)
Seagate 10.1 Gb HDD
Elsa Gladiac 920 Graphics Card (shiny new one)
Aureal A3D soundcard (for the moment)
LT WinModem (yeah, yeah, I know... that'll be the next bit in the bin)
DVD-ROM - I think Toshiba
FDD

And everything seems to work OK except the soundcard - which I have tried in PCI slots 2 and 5 so far - will try it in slot 4 before I give up!
I have disabled SB16 emulation and checked all the connections. Also it does start to make the 'Windows start up' noise before cutting out and failing to operate, so I know I haven't damaged it while handling.
I'm not getting any error messages when I boot up (other than SB emulation disabled) and device manager reckons there are no conflicts.

Thanks for listening!

------------------

Old 10-09-2001, 12:52 PM   #29
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

It's a Compaq. I looked at the site for the video ... It's an
Intell/Whitney 810e. The information on their site says the bios can
be reconfigured sometimes so that the PCI card is usable. But that the old one would still be the default and would still be used for certain apps. They had nothing more concrete than that though and it didn't tell me how to do it either.

------------------

The line between good and evil is razor sharp. Be careful of misteps,
lest you find yourself spitted upon your own blade.
Old 10-09-2001, 12:57 PM   #30
H. Sedai

Quote:
Oooh!! Well, you've asked for it now!!

I use Windows 98 (with no intention of upgrading at the moment).

Respectful snip for brevity

Some additional questions:
1. What version of Windows 98? Is it Win 98 SR2?
2. Does it show up on your hardware list at all?
3. Have you been able to hear any sounds whatsoever?
4. Do you still have the old sound card in your hardware list?
-->You get that by right clicking on My Computer and then going to properties. The next tab over shows you what Win98 recognizes on your computer.

I doubt if it really matters what PCI slot you have it in. I would suggest keeping the card at the default settings for now.

------------------
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
-Robert McCloskey