Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2001, 03:28 PM   #1
Drawde1
The Magister

I was rather disappointed, after the impressive spell effects in IWD and Planescape:Torment, that most of the spell graphics in BG2 (even with ToB installed) were simply recycled from BG1. Even the new effects weren't that impressive-looking for the most part. However on looking into the BG2 files with Infinity Explorer I found that many of the spell graphics from IWD were present, but not used. By extracting and renaming these .BAM files I've managed to get them working in BG2, and I have to say that it looks a lot better.
Is anyone interested in hosting this add-on if I e-mail it to them? It's about 1.5MB zipped.

The effects changed are (might have forgotten a few):
All casting glows
Flamestrike
Glyph of Warding/Symbols
Grease
Globe of Invulnerability
Sanctuary
Acid damage
Call Lightning
Fireball
Ice Storm
Lightning Bolt
Prismatic Spray
Electrical damage

I might manage to find some others that can be changed/improved, I'm not sure at the minute. I have been unable to change the Web or Fire/Cold damage effects as the BG2 ones are greyscale and the IWD ones are 16-bit. Similarly I can't change Chromatic Orb as the BG2 one has a shadow animation and the IWD one doesn't, so copying the IWD effect over makes it look like you're firing two orbs simultaneously (the shadow uses the normal orb bitmap)
Old 08-10-2001, 06:03 PM   #2
Thrawn
The Magister

I'm very interested! i want to see more impressive spell effects!
Old 08-10-2001, 06:49 PM   #3
Lord Shield

Thrawn, you naughty boy - WELCOME TO IRONWORKS - but quickly nip a hi in GD so others can say hi too

my PC canbarely take the effects at the mo - need to upgrade first

------------------
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is pimp.
http://lordraptor0.tripod.com/index.html

Old 08-11-2001, 10:29 AM   #4
Drawde1
The Magister

Is anybody with a BG2/Infinity Engine website interested in hosting this file if I e-mail it to them?
Old 08-11-2001, 03:10 PM   #5
Thrawn
The Magister

I don't have a website, but i probably could whip one up, and you probably could use one of the several execellent servers,
Old 08-11-2001, 03:18 PM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I'd email it to one of the following sites:

TeamBG has a custom files upload area. Be sure to READ Ken's instructions carefully or he will delete your files if you don't upload them correctly.

Or you could try one of the following custom items sites. Arundor and Potencius in particular accept a lot of submissions from people and have fairly big sites. Be sure to have a readme file that describes your items and zip them up to make it easier for them.

------------------
Old 08-12-2001, 02:30 PM   #7
Drawde1
The Magister

OK..
First I'll see if I can find any more spell effects to improve, then I'll write a readme for the add-on and e-mail it to one of the sites you suggested. Then I'll post a message on this forum to announce it.