Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2001, 12:40 PM   #11
Aurican
Elminster

Stalkers also are not restricted in their armor in DnD. That was just one more thing the designers of BG put in to make the game more "balanced". What I think would balance the game substantially would be to say thieves can't backstab with anything except: a dagger, shortshort, club. That would definately balance the game. Who ever heard of a thief backstabing with a 1.5 meter katana? Ridiculous!

------------------
Can an elf get a break anywhere these days?

http://angelfire.com/rpg/aurican
Old 06-07-2001, 12:58 PM   #12
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Aurican:
Some people like to roleplay as well as annilate bad guys... I thought that rangers had more hit dice than the fighter did, I am wrong? Aslo they are the only class intended for dual wielding, unfortunately the BG series simply screwed that law up.. So, if you really want to play by DnD rules, rangers should be the only folks out there wielding two separate weapons.
Aurican,

I also think that Rangers get more HD than fighters. In PnP AD&D they roll a d12 (IIRC) and get 2HD at first level as opposed to a fighters 1HD. Every little bit helps...

The biggest thing that I like about Rangers is that when you dual them to Cleric, they have access to *all* Cleric and Druid spells (subject to sufficient WIS, of course...). Pretty cool. I also like the dual wield and stealth abilities. Plus, they have one of the best stronghold quests in the game, if you ask me.

However, don't mistake this post as trying to convince you to play a Ranger Avatar. Personally, I could care less what class you play. That's why there are lots of different classes to choose from.

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Old 06-07-2001, 01:14 PM   #13
Legolas the Elven Archer

I have to agree with Avatar. Archers are great, so why would you want any other type of ranger

Then again, we rangers are all one big happy family, so I won't say other bad things about my siblings.

Three out of four arguments Avatar mentions apply to paladins as well. When compared to the fighter, these disadvantages aren't that bad though.
Fighters can't cast druid spells, so the rangers ability to do so would be a bonus.
Fighters are the only class able to specialize beyond two slots, but does that make all other classes bad?
Rangers take longer to level up, but their level up bonusses are greater than a fighters (more spells for example)
The charm is also a nice bonus

So what's the real downside on using a ranger?

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 06-07-2001, 01:39 PM   #14
ShadowUK

Rangers can get very powerfull............Just try and feet Drizzt in Baldurs Gate 1

------------------
Old 06-07-2001, 03:03 PM   #15
Tom
Elminster

I beat the game as a ranger, he kiled the ,ahem, end, WITHOUT a magical weapon!!

------------------

Coffee anyone?
Old 06-07-2001, 03:55 PM   #16
Volourn
Manshoon

Any character can use two weapons at once - rangers are just moreskilled at it than others. Even *I* can wield twoswords at once, 'though I'd suck at it. lol

Old 06-07-2001, 04:31 PM   #17
Kerlyssa
Manshoon

Yah, but the point is the two weapon PROFICIENCY. I like rangers, better than paladins. Low level druid spells are better than low level cleric spells, and of course you can dual to cleric and get them all. As for fighters, in a game like BG they can get pretty borimg.
Old 06-07-2001, 04:51 PM   #18
Legolas the Elven Archer

Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowUK:
Rangers can get very powerfull............Just try and feet Drizzt in Baldurs Gate 1
The reason Drizzt is powerful in BG1 is that you're a level 3 character and he isn't

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 06-07-2001, 05:01 PM   #19
Shadowblade
The Magister

Why would a ranger be so good with two weapons anyway. What makes them 'better' than others? Their love of nature?

Oh yeah I am a ranger, i'm not insulting them, I just wondered, seriously!

COME ON LABOUR!

Old 06-07-2001, 05:38 PM   #20
jabidas
Silver Dragon

There good for roleplaying. Stalkers and Archers are great By the way I can get Valygar down to -6 ac no Problem so the armour isnt such a big thing is it.

------------------