Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-10-2002, 06:02 PM   #1
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Has anyone read the book "Why cats paint"? It's amazing! These cats paint with their front paws, on canvas (or walls ), most often painting things they can see. An interesting thing is that they appear to upend the images, so a vase of daffodils would be painted by a cat with vertical green strokes, with yellow splodges underneath. They really enjoy painting, and their art has been sold for thousands of dollars. They also seem to have an idea of what the picture will be - there was one cat who was painting a picture on a canvas on the wall, and indicated to its owner to put a stool nearby so it could finish the series of marks it was making up the wall. Here's some pictures, (not very good but you get the idea), here and here (look especially at frequent feathers, and hydrangea hussies ).

Then yesterday I was watching 60 Minutes, and there was a story about elephants painting, using a brush in their trunk. This is actually a very worthy cause, proceeds from the sale of their paintings goes to helping look after elephants in Asia. Their art is more abstract, and unlike the cats, who have a palette of many colours and choose whatever they want, the elephants are given a colour to use by humans. Here's a sample of their work here (click on the various pictures under the place names), and here (use the arrows to see all four elephant's work).

Hmm, I wonder if Tuppence has a creative streak...
Old 03-10-2002, 07:54 PM   #2
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

That... is... quite differint...

Man there are sites for cats to do everything on the web!

SAY! I wonder if Choc paints!
Old 03-10-2002, 08:06 PM   #3
Epona
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by /)eathKiller:

Might be a bit haphazard - I mean he is blind But perhaps some nice abstract stuff...
Old 03-10-2002, 08:08 PM   #4
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
quote:
Originally posted by /)eathKiller:

Well, it's not really an internet thing - this is serious art business, I think one reason I can't get really good pictures is that the works are for sale, in galleries etc. I really recommend finding the book "Why Cats Paint" in your library or something - some of the pictures are really good; it's a really interesting phenomenon. Plus the photos of the cats standing up on their hind legs painting away are really cute

LOL, well you know Choc's blind don't you ? Though he is one amazing cat... [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

Oh, and for those bird lovers as well (you know who you are, Epona ), there is a link on one of the sites to bird art as well - here. I must say it doesn't speak to me quite so much... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2002, 05:23 AM   #5
Epona
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:

Oh, and for those bird lovers as well (you know who you are, Epona ), there is a link on one of the sites to bird art as well - here. I must say it doesn't speak to me quite so much... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

ROFL!!!! Windshield art, I like it