Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 07-05-2000, 03:44 PM   #1
DailyRich

Damn these caves are TOUGH! Lizard men shaman, phase spiders, trolls -- you name it, it's got it. Still trudging through okay, and thankfully there are places to camp and rest up, but that Lizard King is gonna be a bear. I can't wait!
Old 07-06-2000, 02:46 PM   #2
Wretched

I hear ya! I'm at the same part.. just defeated the Lizard King, though it was a TOUGH battle. Here's a hint, if you don't mind the spoiler

** SPOILER BELOW **

Stealth into the room, and find the lizard shaman who stands near the lizard king. He is a dangerous mo'fo, because one of his first spells is usually Hold Person, which stands a good chance of immobilizing more than half your party if they don't save. Target this Shaman first, and if you have it, cast a silence spell on him! Once his magic is out've the contest, the rest of the battle is just one big toe-to-toe brawl, last man (or woman) standing wins!
Old 07-06-2000, 06:58 PM   #3
eqgirl

Another Good tactic. if ya used your time in the vale wiselya nd continued to kill shadows with their constant respawn you should be high enough for a single class mage to cast Improved Invisible aka 7th lvl mage..4th lvl spell. Improved invis a hief and have him go backstab happy. The mobs will attempt to attack him but he can run in and out of the room constantly hitting things from behind.
Old 07-06-2000, 07:18 PM   #4
Wretched

Heh. Not a bad tactic at all Eqgirl.. I didn't have that kindof patience though.. and besides, that knock down, drag out brawl with the lizardmen was one of the coolest fights I've ever had! I wouldn't want to spoil it by letting my thief have all the fun!
Old 07-06-2000, 08:55 PM   #5
DailyRich

I sent my thief and my ranger in, hidden in shadows, then had them jump out and start peppering the shaman. When the lizards turned to go after them, the rest of my party stormed the room and, since the shaman moved to the back of the group to safely cast spells, they were gone in no time. After that, my two big fighters ganged up on the king while everyone else took out the lizards. Battle won and NO fatalities. Now if I can just get past all the wights lower down....
Old 07-06-2000, 09:23 PM   #6
Wretched

Tactics like that make me wonder about the efficiency of an all-stealth party. Would look something like this:

Ranger
Ranger
Fighter/Thief
Fighter/Thief
Mage/Thief
Cleric (or Cleric/thief if it's possible in this game, I haven't checked!)

Everyone in the party can stealth, so although they'd not be the most powerful group for an toe-to-toe brawl, they'd get in a ton of backstab damage and probably be able to take out the enemy's most efficient badass before he gets a chance to raise his weapon!

Like I said above, I'm not sure if the cleric/thief is possible in IWD, but if it isn't, the cleric would probably just use a sling, stepping in after the thieves and rangers had revealed themselves, and healing his compadres. Or hell, one could just slap platemail, a morningstar, and a large shield on him, and have him wade right into the thick of things once the others had made their move.

It's an idea!
Old 07-09-2000, 04:36 PM   #7
vonmuhnsun

Yes, the stealth idea has definitely helped me. My party consists of:

2 rangers
1 thief
1 druid
1 paladin
1 necromancer

I usually send my thief and rangers ahead (all armed with bows) to pick off baddies one by one. Since my rangers have two attacks per round I can take out most anything before it gets close. This strategy worked well in the vale of shadows and so far has worked in the dragon's eye. The only thing to be careful about in the Dragon's eye is getting hit by hold spell(keep the rest of the party close) and those damn phase spiders. I wasn't familiar with phase spiders so you can imagine my surprise when i tried my shoot and run technique and found myself surrounded by spiders instantly.