Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2003, 08:24 AM   #1
Annatar
Mephistopheles

Almost finished the game and got bored so decided 2 fight with all those blown up big headed potatoes in the game like the cowled wizards, amn soldiers and didn't like those circus animals either in Waukeens promenade so... this was hmmmsz relatively easy 2 do... but when I got to aran linvail (maybe spoiler dunno)
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Whats the thing with that blackhooded wannabe god thats kills my characters with 1 stab :S:S:S:S when I begin chopping of the headies of aran linvail & co that freak appears and begins chopping body parts.. I have heard of this SUPAH shadowthief but.... DAMN .... whats his problem en who is it and.... how do get rid of this UBER BEING OF A SHADOW THIEF?
Old 01-11-2003, 08:45 AM   #2
Melusine
Dracolisk

It's the game's way of telling you that you're being silly [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Seriously though, the character is there for a good reason - you're not supposed to kill Aran Linvail at that point in the game or you'd kill the plot.
The thief is equipped with a sword that does about 1000 damage of all types and makes him immune to pretty much anything, so your best bet would be to give it up

Slight spoiler (don't know if this is your first time through...)

Soon, you'll be given a proposition, and one of the options will enable you to kill Linvail for real. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2003, 09:54 AM   #3
karlosovic
Drizzt Do'Urden

depends what he means by 'nearly finished'
he could be waaaaaayyyy past *that* choice.

On topic, I dunno if this will help but try pausing the game when you can see him, hold the mouse over that theif and press Crtl+Y. He will hopefully be dead, leaving you to wipe out the rest of the thieves guild at your leisure.

Edit: doh, forgot to tell you, you will need cheats enabled for this to work. If you don't know how, ask again here
End Edit

***Warning*** don't kill Aran Linvail unless you really know for certain that you won't need him again, meaning that you've either finished the game before, or someone ruined the story for you. That's a general warning on attacking ANY neutral characters. If you want to go around killing everyone in sight there are 2 precautions:
1. play the game right through first as a 'good' character, so you can be sure when an NPC has outlived their usefulness, otherwise you could kill the plot
2. keep regular archive saves, in case you screw up badly, you can go back to an older save (and I don't mean just quicksaving before big battles)

[ 01-11-2003, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: karlosovic ]
Old 01-11-2003, 10:16 AM   #4
Annatar
Mephistopheles

Ive finishd the game 2 times, with good and evil character on core and hard ... so I know (spoiler!!!)
-
-
-

-
-
-

-
-

-

-
-
About the chose between bodhi and aran linvail... but I wanted 2 kill aran just 4 the fun of it... but with that shadow god thief there makes it impossible... and that ctrl doesnt seem to work becase it does (i believe) ice(cold) damage where he is immum 2 :S.... but I dont like using CLUAConsole so.. Ive hoped there was an other way to dispose of this ''thing'' but thx 4 the help
Old 01-11-2003, 10:58 AM   #5
daan
Silver Dragon

There are a few ways to kill aran without retalliation.
( the shadow thief with the sword is famous by now .. but i keep forgetting his name )

1. First, feeblemind Aran Linvail ( and maybe the others too ) while he's still unhostile. This way you can kill him without repercussion.

2. I believe its possible to cast PfMW first .. ( so you dont get killed right away ) and then Time-stop, followed by Shapeshift: Mind flayer (lvl 9 ).
Now proceed with eating out the poor shadow thief's brain.
However, I believe that a new version will just keep spawning untill you die that way [img]tongue.gif[/img]

P.s. The sword that deals 1000 damage of all elements, +1000 undefined damage,
Has the range of a short-bow i believe, and an attack rate of 10 ? ( IIRC ),
is the Killsword, CLUAConsole:CreateItem("KILLSW01").
This however, is not the sword our dear thief uses .. he uses some different modified sword .. forgot which one, but it's been discussed in previous posts.

[img]tongue.gif[/img] Hope this helpz [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2003, 11:39 AM   #6
Baros
Manshoon

Two things.

Hey - Melusine's still here.

I recently forgot about the ranged effect of Arkanis Gath's sword. After killing Gorch I thought I'd have a fighting chance of making it out of the door. Silly me.

Question is - why doesn't he come and help you when you're meant to kill the Theives in Mae'vars guild? And where is he when you're give Bodhi some smack? I'd probably feel paranoid...
Baros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 07:01 AM   #7
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Baros:
Two things.

Hey - Melusine's still here.
Never been gone... have we met?
I post in General Discussions mostly, these days. [img]smile.gif[/img]

As for Arkanis Gath, I've never been enough of a powerplayer to want to kill a character the game so obviously wants you to leave in peace
Old 01-13-2003, 07:20 AM   #8
Baros
Manshoon

Melusine - I was around a couple of years ago (using a different name) and your name is one of the few I remember.

Towards the end I spent most of my time "arguing" with Memnoch about Cricket

Now I think about it, I've not actually been back to general discussion yet...
Baros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 07:28 AM   #9
Melusine
Dracolisk

So you were around on the blue board? That's cool! What was your nickname? [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Genie still likes arguing about sports , but he's not the only one, hehe. There are always sports discussions going on in GenD, but since to me they are about as fascinating as watching paint dry, you'd have to check out for yourself whether they're any good.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:28 PM   #10
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Arkanis Gath will spawn:
  • If you turn any member of the Shadow Thieves hostile (except when you've been instructed to clear out Mae'Var and his guild) while you're in Chapter 2.
  • If you turn any member of the Shadow Thieves hostile after siding with the Shadow Thieves in Chapter 3.
  • If you turn any member of the Shadow Thieves hostile in Chapters 6 or 7, and you have NOT patched your game.
Ways to survive Arkanis Gath:
  • Protection from Magic Weapons will provide you with 4 rounds of complete immunity.
  • Death Ward will nullify 90% of the damage recieved, meaning a Tank with a few Healing Potions can keep Arkanis busy for quite some time.
  • Using Ardulia's Fall, the Flail of Ages, or other sources of Slow can reduce Arkanis to a crawl. (But first, you've got to use Death Ward or PfMW.)
  • Arkanis, like every other creature in the game, suffers the severe handicap of not knowing how to open doors for himself. (But, again, you've first got to use Death Ward or PfMW.)
Ways to kill Arkanis Gath:
  • Shapeshift Mind Flayer, eat his brain. Time Stop beforehand is recommended. A scroll of Shapeshift is available in Chapter 6, and solo Sorcerers can get it much sooner.
  • It might be possible to kill Arkanis via Level Drain.
  • Arkanis cannot be killed via Disintegrate, Flesh to Stone, Feeblemind, Finger of Death, Nature's Beauty, etc., nor can he be killed via normal means.