Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 08-11-2004, 02:06 AM   #1
D*Ranged

Last night I went to bed at around 11 p.m.
I had a bit of sore throat but did not take lozenges. (How STUPID I was!!! ) Went to bed, but my drunken flatmates (nice people, mind you) came around midnight and thanks to them raving and laughing (they're Chinese. I can't understand Chinese AT ALL [img]graemlins/confused2.gif[/img] ) I couldnt go to sleep. I eventually did until they shut up and went to bed, but soon I woke up to the sound of bed springs and creaking noises at regular intervals as well as heavy rain (WTF!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img] ) and my throat hurt with a vengeance. Guess what the couple at the next room was doing at that time of night...

K, I woke up several hours later. My throat hurt BAD, but I slept through it (U IDIOT D*Ranged!!!!! WTF WERE U THINKING!!!!!!!!!!! :embarrassed: ) and woke up at 10:15 am. I took a lozenge but guess what. Did NOT help a jack ****. SO I took a sachet(which wuz supposed to help me out with cold & flu as well as relieving sore throat) which kinda helped. I went out and attended my lecture. Then the sore throat came back with vengeance. Took 2 lozenges so far but nope. Not helping. And after paying my rent I cant even buy new med or go to the 'doc. Very uplifting, huh...?
Old 08-11-2004, 02:27 AM   #2
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

You'll live [img]smile.gif[/img] Unless it's meningitus, in which case you'll probably die. But if it WAS meningitus, you'd probably be dead already, so no worries eh? Sometimes life aint comfortable, ride it out dude.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:29 AM   #3
Aerich
Lord Ao

Not fun. If your sore throat is caused by run-of-the-mill bacteria, there's a few things you can do to help yourself out.

1) Make sure you get your vitamin C - drink orange juice (yes I know it may hurt, but trust me) or "vit C added" juices, or take a pill if you have any around.

2) Gargle with warm salt water. It's soothing, and it will kill some of the germs.

3) Make sure you get plenty to drink, especially warm liquids.

4) Get your rest.

Good luck. I know it's miserable.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:43 AM   #4
D*Ranged

Hey, thanks guys.

Ya, it HURTS when I can't even swallow my spit cos my throat hurts soooooo bad...i CAN tolerate speaking but hell, the swallowing food and drink bit HURTS like hell...but then I may have to try Aerich's suggestion...but MAN!!! I feel like puking... [img]graemlins/awcrap.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2004, 02:52 AM   #5
The Hierophant

Hey, I just got over a fever, couldn't eat for a few days. It was a great way to lose weight!

Don't fear the pain, accept it, rejoice in it It tells you you're alive
Old 08-11-2004, 02:53 AM   #6
SecretMaster
Apophis

Oh god, you might have what my bro had like 2 months ago. If it is, then I have bad news. Nothing worked on him, and the doctors couldn't find an ailment. He had to wait it out for a week of practically no sleep because it was too painfull to swallow or eat. My best advice for when sleeping at nights if it is what i think it is, when you sleep, sleep with the mouth open. You might dry out your throat, but it will hurt anyway and you need sleep. But keep trying, for all we know it could be something else.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:26 AM   #7
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
Don't fear the pain, accept it, rejoice in it It tells you you're alive
You've got some unique philosophy on topics Hiero.

*Gets hit by a car* Ahh pain, I'm feel so alive, woohoo!

No no no, you don't want to sleep with your mouth open, keep that thing shut. I've had ailments like this before, and the last thing you want to do is sleep with your mouth open because it just dries you out even more, making it last longer.

What normally worked for me was drinking thick liquids, such as milk for example and eat any type of food that slides down your throat easily. Do not sleep in a cold room, shut off all fans and vents because breathing cold dry air won't help any. And as Aerich said, gargling warm salt water also helps.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:36 AM   #8
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Damn, I think I had what youve got about 2 weeks ago, I just took Panadol and plenty of those honey filled Soothers lozingers, but they were the only things I couls swallow without pain, but it went away soon enough.
I hope yours does too.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:37 AM   #9
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

just watch for swelling. i've had strep a few times in the past year and the last two times my uvula (hangy down thing) swelled and made it difficult to breathe especiallyw hen lying down. even if you can't afford your dr they should let you owe your co-pay, and might even have samples to give you rather than a prescription. good luck!
Old 08-11-2004, 08:47 AM   #10
The Hierophant

Quote:
Originally posted by RevRuby:
even if you can't afford your dr they should let you owe your co-pay, and might even have samples to give you rather than a prescription. good luck!
He's a kiwi, we get free gp checkups (with community services card) [img]smile.gif[/img]

You did renew your card this year, right D*Ranged?

[ 08-11-2004, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]