Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2003, 05:53 PM   #31
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Lav, I really feel for your friend - it really sucks to be convicted of a crime you're innocent of at the best of times but don't take the revenge route.

If I can't dissuade you, let me persuade you to pay somebody who likes to lay a good beating to do the job for you. [img]graemlins/evilhaha.gif[/img]

That's one thing I've always liked about bike gangs, they're very useful for things like this....
Old 01-23-2003, 07:11 PM   #32
Lavindathar
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Krustin:
If I can't dissuade you, let me persuade you to pay somebody who likes to lay a good beating to do the job for you. [img]graemlins/evilhaha.gif[/img]

That's one thing I've always liked about bike gangs, they're very useful for things like this....
I thought about it, but I'm stingy. Fancied a drive by baseball batting myself.

Don't fancy the full on drive-by, serious penaltys such as life and also, he dies. Not that way inclined.

Just messing btw, calmed down a lot. It's just when sentincing comes around, it won't be a good time for me.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:09 AM   #33
Eisenschwarz

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Well, Yoric, as I have posted before the ONLY reason I oppose the death penalty is the margin of error. There are some crimes, IMHO, you deserve to die for committing. For some crimes, again IMHO, you deserve long rounds of torture and then death. But, that's in the 100% certainty-of-guilt cases only.
can you Prove that some crimes "deserve" Torture or death?
Can you bridge the Is/ought gap?
If so, you will be the first person ever to do that.

BTW That is exactly What Hitler Thought.
He saw in the newspapers one day about some guy who’d murdered some children and he had this guy tortured by the Gestapo.
He also had the generals who plotted against him strangled with piano wire since obviously that was such a heinous crime which deserved such.

How does it feel to be in such company?

Also, how are we ever to be 100% sure that someone committed a crime?

You cannot prove that anyone else exists apart from you, so how can you prove that someone is 100% indisputable guilty?

[ 01-24-2003, 07:11 AM: Message edited by: Eisenschwarz ]

Old 01-24-2003, 07:24 AM   #34
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I want to remind you all once again not to make these discussions personal.

If you disagree on certain issues with someone and you KNOW you do, it is certainly no crime to say "we disagree, we've gone over this so many times we can each repeat the other's case in our sleep, so let's not go over the same territory again". If you feel you simply must make a statement, keep it respectful. It is also the better part of valor to avoid baiting someone if you know they disagree with you. Any time you see a topic that gets you heated up and you know it will take your personal 'common sense and respectful attitude' button offline, it's always a good idea to use the BACK button on the browser and go do something else for a while.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:43 AM   #35
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Thank you, Cloudy, 'cause that was a bit of a personal attack.

Eisenschwartz: what kind of proof do you mean? Philosophical proof or scientific? Seems like an opinion issue to me.

Lemme ask you this: If an person does torture and murder and rape another, heck let's say several others, and we know for a FACT the person did it, what do we do with the person. I mean us as a society. What punishment would you sentence this 100% fool-proof guilty rapist murderer to? Please don't hedge the issue.

Also, bonus question: why would their life not be forfeit?
Old 01-24-2003, 10:06 AM   #36
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

I'd like to see him "prove" (whatever he means by that) how continuing such a person's life would benefit society, and or even his own. It certainly would benefit the victim's loved ones to have him pay the ultimate price.

[ 01-24-2003, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: Attalus ]
Old 01-26-2003, 01:28 AM   #37
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Thank you, Cloudy, 'cause that was a bit of a personal attack.

Eisenschwartz: what kind of proof do you mean? Philosophical proof or scientific? Seems like an opinion issue to me.

Lemme ask you this: If an person does torture and murder and rape another, heck let's say several others, and we know for a FACT the person did it, what do we do with the person. I mean us as a society. What punishment would you sentence this 100% fool-proof guilty rapist murderer to? Please don't hedge the issue.

Also, bonus question: why would their life not be forfeit?
Their life shouldn't be forfeit because society then beomes exactly what he is. A killer. Thus evil wins, murder and humans-killing-humans perpetuates and the value of human life is lowered.

The person should live with their crime and pay a debt to society and the families of the deceased. For the rest of their life if it is deemed necessary.

We could be experimenting with convict labour, with implants to ensure compliance.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 01-26-2003, 02:13 AM   #38
Gammit
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Their life shouldn't be forfeit because society then beomes exactly what he is. A killer. Thus evil wins, murder and humans-killing-humans perpetuates and the value of human life is lowered.

The person should live with their crime and pay a debt to society and the families of the deceased. For the rest of their life if it is deemed necessary.

We could be experimenting with convict labour, with implants to ensure compliance.[/QB]
These questions are what keep me on the fence in the death penalty argument... interesting thoughts...

Whoa, I never thought about that... implants. I like this idea. Fellows, move forward with the implant technology!
Old 01-26-2003, 07:33 PM   #39
Lavindathar
Harper

Could be interesting Yorick!

And people can always change, you never know. I dunno, its a hard one! If someone killed a relative of mine, I would go and kill them back. I know it would be wrong, but I have an almighty temper, and I always think i'm cleverer than the rest, and I wnt get caught.

I dunno, cos I wouldnt wanna die for a revenge attack, as it would just be anger. Lol, sorry this is a stupid post that makes no sense.
Old 01-26-2003, 09:09 PM   #40
wellard
Dracolisk

I understand your anger and frustration

but if I might play the devils advicate for a moment...

Imagine sitting down to your cereal one morning and reading the local paper, wich had a story on the slick lawyer who got a client off even though the police found a huge amount of heroin stashed in his car. How angry would you feel, how much of a tirade would we spray, sympathising with the police who do there best but are undermined by a stupid legal system that protects obvious crooks, damn you would say he had X kilo's of smack and he still walked!!!

Just a thought
and I wish him well, and his FRIENDS hell.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years