Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2006, 10:36 PM   #11
wellard
Dracolisk

You know Leonis reading this makes me realize how little I do for charity, sure I tut tut every night watching the news, argue with people about what should be done to make the world better ..... But actual useful stuff like donating money? Very little just a few dollars to the Salvation Army and some animal rights groups.

Yorick, Leonis I will talk to the financial controller tonight about donating more [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:28 AM   #12
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

You know, this is going to sound callous, and maybe a little cold, but I really don't give a rat's ass about what's going on in Africa, when I can walk down my street and see much the same thing. Kids outside with shoes that are falling off their feet, families that can't afford winter clothes for their kids, w/out sacrificing money to feed them. Charity is all good, but let's take care of our own first.
So, the only people in the world that can't afford their medications live in Africa? Let me tell you, from first hand experience, that's a load of crap. I can't afford 1/2 the medications this new doctor wants to put me on, w/out having to sacrifice my residence. I already can't pay my bills, and have to have my mom do it, and it's a good thing she's in a position to be able to, or I'd be on the street, playing my guitar on the corner for a few bucks to eat on, assuming I could stand to be outside long enough. You want to see an example of poverty, get out of your comfort zone, and look around your area. I'm sure you'll be able to find someone locally that could really use the help. As Wellard pointed out, there are local charities that could use that dollar.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:45 AM   #13
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

That's great for you Rob, but Africa is intimately connected to the west. Whether through ex-slave generations in America or off-the-boat immigrants to France, Britain, and America. Some in the west could be giving to their family's local area.

Secondly, Africa is the worst area hit by AIDS, and seeing as the west has exploited Afrrica for generations and still benefits from the minerals and resources from Africa (diamonds etc) it'd be nice to do even a little thing to make sure the whole area doesn't die out wouldn't it?

Thirdly it's not a charity. You're not giving money to anyone. You're just choosing to buy your normal stuff a particular way.

Fourth, some of us regard the whole planet as our local area concern, not just our little area. I know that if they find a cure for aids in Africa, it'll be more than just Africans that get cured of aids won't it?

[ 11-16-2006, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:46 AM   #14
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by robertthebard:
I can walk down my street and see much the same thing. Kids outside with shoes that are falling off their feet, families that can't afford winter clothes for their kids, w/out sacrificing money to feed them. .
Whole American towns being born with aids, yeah yeah same stuff right...

Old 11-16-2006, 08:50 AM   #15
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

You know I wonder how many people are actually clicking the link and reading the manifesto.

Reading posters responses makes me think we're talking about us giving all our money to poor Africans or something.

How about we read what RED actually IS before hiting "reply" hmmm?

Old 11-16-2006, 08:51 AM   #16
wellard
Dracolisk

The fact that people live in the richest country in the world yet do not get provided free medical care always stuns me. I dont want to turn this into a political debate but strewth the things that the USA wastes tax money on instead of looking after there own people beggers belief.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:53 AM   #17
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Agreed.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:56 AM   #18
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

My wife was actually very upset yesterday because they were going to sponser a family at here work, but most people are whining about lack of money. Meanwhile, they out all the time, they have money to smoke and drink etc.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:59 AM   #19
wellard
Dracolisk

Prevention is better than cure of course Yorick however kicking an influential western based major religion up the arse and getting it to promote condoms instead of condeming them would be better but religion is a banned topic so.....

Old 11-16-2006, 09:21 AM   #20
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Wellard

The thing to remember too is that charity is VOLUNTARY. Meaning if you can't give don't.
For those that can, it's a nice idea to help out if you can.
Because you can.