Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-22-2004, 09:42 AM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Some of you may remember me trying to decide on buying a heat pump for the home, and ridding myself of the evil oil furnace from the junkyard hell. Well...I finally made my decision and settled on a vender, and it will be installed tomorrow. I will have to tell you the details of this purchase at a later time, as I am short on time at the moment.

My question is regarding the selling of the stuff.

I have 200 gallons of oil and an air conditioner that is only five years old. It is a two-ton, SEER 10, but I do not remember the name brand. It is in good running shape.

How do I get some money for this stuff? It is not like I can sell such things on Ebay, as the air conditioner is too large for me to mail...and the oil cannot be sold that way. Any ideas?

Do any of you North Carolinians wanna take this stuff off my hands?
Old 09-22-2004, 09:58 AM   #2
quietman1920

Maker sure you get that oil out of the ground & get your tank sealed and filled. It will become important should you ever sell your house.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:58 AM   #3
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

you can advertise in the papers, and also on bullitine(sp?) boards, most super markets have them now...I think anyways, I know these around here do.

[ 09-22-2004, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: Stormymystic ]
Old 09-22-2004, 10:13 AM   #4
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Larry the company that delivered your oil should be more than willing to buy it back. I would think they would give you the going price minus some type of charge, which should not be excessive.

As to the unit itself, you could check with the local heating and air companies, but the simplest answer is to take out an ad in your local paper while realizing you'll get nothing near it's value.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:22 PM   #5
Lady Sedai
Banned User

You *can* advertise the unit on Ebay, but you'd need to make it an exclusive listing for "local bidders only" and make sure they understand that (unless you are willing to load it up and drive it out to them) they will need to come pick it up as well.

My Mom sold some fairly large items that way and a local guy bought them and came and got them from her location. [img]smile.gif[/img]

But also, the idea of fliers, advertising in the local paper, the Thrifty Nickel, etc. are also very good ways (and inexpensive) to get it sold.

OR...you could check some local places who take donations (make sure they can give you a donation receipt for non-profit organizations) and you can take the "fair market value" in full off of your taxes next year. This is the best way to get the most of the value of the item out of it. And, by doing *this*, my Mom and I will be set for tax season next year as we've donated enough to claim the max on taxes. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2004, 07:31 PM   #6
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

You'll be lucky to get someone to take those things off your hands for free. And if you've got an underground storage tank, you better get regulatory closure or you'll have trouble selling the home -- of course I'd have to consult your local laws first, but that's my gut reaction.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:06 PM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I suggest local donations (for the A/C unit) as well. There is an organization in our area which collects building materials (and an A/C unit would qualify) and either uses them to build houses for those in need, or sells them and uses the proceeds to support their work. I can find out more details when I get back on Friday, if needed.

As for the oil, try your supplier to see if they'll buy it back or advertise it as available. No need to mention anything more about cleaning it up afterwards... [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:25 PM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

er....well...I got rid of the oil easily, but the tank is still here...and I have some good ideas on what to do with it. I will have no trouble. It is above-ground...but when we bought the house, we found that it had an old below-ground there, and I have sawed off the pipes and buried the remains and even got grass to grow over the location.

Do you think anyone will know if I don't say anything and pretend there is no barrel under there?
Old 09-23-2004, 02:51 PM   #9
Animal
Gold Dragon

I'm not sure about your local laws, but if you sell the home knowing there is an oil tank in the ground, and that tank develops problems, it's not going to be a pretty scene.

Depending on whether or not the old tank had oil remaining in it, over time it may leech into the surrounding soil. You're best off to bite the bullet and have it removed.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:02 PM   #10
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Well larry if the tank did not have anything in it. I would not worry about it. What size was the underground tank? And if there was stuff in it I would get it flushed out and cleaned.