Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2004, 10:38 AM   #1
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

This happens far to often in our society today. Why? How can you just toss a new born away like that?

Newborn found in city trash

Police were were questioning a teen mother who allegedly dumped her newborn boy in the trash in the city's northwest last night. At about 8:30 p.m., police said a woman walking her dog past a Hawkwood N.W. home heard the cries of an infant nearby.

"She went to investigate and discovered a newborn wrapped in some bloody towels among some garbage," said Insp. Brooke Bishop.

Recruiting other women's help, she pulled the garbage bag away from several others on the suburban driveway, taking it out of view of the home and opening it to find an infant.

The healthy baby boy was taken to Foothills Hospital in stable condition. His mother was also taken there later.

Source

I guess the good news is the baby was OK. But it Still makes me very angry!!!

[ 09-08-2004, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 11:20 AM   #2
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

It really is a shame that teenage mothers feel so helpless at times like this and have no support. Yoric posted a great site http://www.daybreakinc.org/ this is not a right to life organization just a support network for pregnant women in need of assistance. To bad there are not more of these everywhere. I don't know either what would move someone to do this though, you would have to feel at the end of your rope and then after the depression you would go through.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:06 PM   #3
Arvon
Unicorn

In California the teens can drop a new born at any hospital or fire department with no questions. They still dump the kids or kill 'em. Don't know why.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Arvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 12:12 PM   #4
Thoran
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightwing:
It really is a shame that teenage mothers feel so helpless at times like this and have no support. Yoric posted a great site http://www.daybreakinc.org/ this is not a right to life organization just a support network for pregnant women in need of assistance. To bad there are not more of these everywhere. I don't know either what would move someone to do this though, you would have to feel at the end of your rope and then after the depression you would go through.
I don't get it... if this woman had given the boy to her boyfriend and he'd dumped it in the trash we'd all be calling him a horrible human and praying he got to pick up the soap a lot in prison.

There's no excuse for what she did, she could have put the child up for adoption, there's a waiting list a mile long of great couples who are unable to have a child of their own. She's a monster who deserves to spend a LOT of time in prison.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 02:22 PM   #5
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Thoran:
I don't get it... if this woman had given the boy to her boyfriend and he'd dumped it in the trash we'd all be calling him a horrible human and praying he got to pick up the soap a lot in prison.
Ah, if it isn't Mr "Men are being repressed!" Thoran.
I know sexism against men is one of your bigger problems with today's society, but I have to disappoint you here. I think equal amounts of people will feel pity for or despise the parent who did this to a new-born, no matter whether it was the father or mother. I for one think that if a parent is mentally sick enough to leave their newborn child to rot, they are to be severly pitied (for all they're missing out on) AND severely punished for the atrocious crime they committed. The sex of the perpetrator is immaterial in my eyes.
And I note also that the three other posters here express anger, disbelief or sadness at the mother's action, not understanding or approval.

[ 09-08-2004, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 09-08-2004, 03:09 PM   #6
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Mel, that is true, but only Thoran and Pritchke expressed outrage at it, everyone else said something to the effect of "she had other options"
Old 09-08-2004, 03:14 PM   #7
Melusine
Dracolisk

But that's what I said, right? People expressing anger, sadness or disbelief. None of the responses falls under the header of approval, I think.
Melusine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 03:34 PM   #8
Oblivion437
Baaz Draconian

Well, I definitely disapprove of such a downright amoral and barbaric practice.

Especially when public and private organizations will take the child, raise him or her, no questions asked, and leave you of the burden.

If I had a son I couldn't take care of, I think I'd leave him to a monastary. He'd get a good education, be secure and around people who'd care.

[ 09-08-2004, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: Oblivion437 ]
Old 09-08-2004, 04:50 PM   #9
Thoran
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
But that's what I said, right? People expressing anger, sadness or disbelief. None of the responses falls under the header of approval, I think.
Ahh yes... anger, sadness and disbelief... you're right... they're all up there... of course broadly mentioning their existance doesn't really address my post now does it?

I was responding specifically to the sentiment of sadness in Nightwing's post, not sadness for the abandoned infant (who certainly deserves better)... but sadness for the criminal who abandoned the infant in such a way.

(NOT picking on Nightwing here... it's just that post brings up a topic that I've seen far too much of recently... women getting away with behavior that would put men away for years)

Which of those emotions would have applied had the girls boyfriend done the deed? Would we have read about how there are outreach programs for men who find themselves in such situations and it's too bad he felt pressured to do something so drastic? I think not.

Would we have read disbelief that a father would do such a thing to his infant child? I also think not... even though it's FAR less likely that a father would do such a thing as opposed to a mother.

I agree with you that either parent should be pitied if they're capable of such a thing... but there's something hardwired in our society that feels pity for female criminals. Pity is fine in and of itself... but when it translates into unequal sentancing it's a problem that needs to be addressed (and it does translate into unequal sentancing).
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 05:45 PM   #10
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

Thoran you do have a good point, there is a double standard in situations like this for a portion of the population. It is sad people jump to these conclusions. I for one would believe this to be abnormal and sad for mother or father. Most of use I think, come from a background and social order where we have resources at our disposal to make the right decision. It's easy for us. We are not sure what resources or lifestyle this girl has. The only thing we can be sure of is that it is beyound reasonable behavior so we must look at the why after the outrage. Like I said before I can't imagine what her life must be like to think this was her only decision.

The tough part for me is what punishment should be dished out. It's obvious she needs counseling, but would locking her up do much good? It's a fine line to draw there because if she doesn't get a harsh enough punishment than what is to stop the next person who wants to do this? Every situation needs to be judged differently depending on circomstance.