Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 06-21-2001, 03:00 PM   #11
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

General Tips for fighting Dragons

Note: This is assuming you want to fight fair and square, no cloud-kill, no backstabbing at the start, no laying traps galore, etc... ...
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
Maintain 5 summons at all times. Mountain Bears, Elementals, and Skeleton Warriors are good.

Summons in front, melee party members at the back of the Dragon. Avoid placing your melee party members in front if you can, to avoid the Wing Buffet.

Breach the Stoneskin, Pierce Magic the spell protections. Insect Plague the Dragon if you can. Lower Resist and Greater Malison will help a lot too.

Drink Health potions as neccessary, do not be stingy or wait until the last minute. If below 50%, DRINK.

Maintain melee combat at all times, do not let the Dragon cast his Dragon's Breath.

Use your best ammunitions on the Dragon, Arrows of Biting/Piercing/+2, Bolts of Lightning, Bullet +2, etc... ... You're fighting a Dragon, give it Hell.

Note: Actually, I find Dragons to be easy, unless you play max difficulty then they can pose a problem. Have only reloaded two times in fighting Dragons, once I knew how to, Dragons were pansies.

Compared to Mind Flayers, Dragons are scaly hamsters. Is there no way to be immuned to intelligence drain?!?!

------------------
If not a Sorcerer, then a Paladin.

Old 06-21-2001, 03:07 PM   #12
Legolas the Elven Archer

The human skin leather is not that good. It has the advantages of being +5 armour, which is very rare, and being leather armour so you won't lose you thieving skills. The armour from the black dragon is studded leather armour and is +4 (IIRC), so overall the effect is the same (although studded leather armour is better than leather armour +1 because it is naturally more functional against weapons) The shadow dragon armour also hasthe better benefits, so unless you're evil and want to kill a silver dragon, don't bother.

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 06-21-2001, 03:39 PM   #13
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

SPOILER..
..When you first meet up with the man in the Umar Hills, which you get the quest for the Silver Dragon blood, you have to tell him his "name". I never figured out how to decode it from the scroll, but his name is Darcin Cole. I tried all the names, and the final one ended up being the right one
Old 06-21-2001, 05:25 PM   #14
Fulant
Dungeon Master

I killed the black dragon in the elvan city........I just beat him to a pulp. My party consist of two pure fighters both using double swords. two pure rangers one using double katana's the other using a two handed sword. A cleric useing double maces. and Iomen who cast haste spells on the party.
Old 06-22-2001, 12:01 AM   #15
Grinch
The Magister

The last time I killed Firkragg I used a methodical approach.First you get everyone armorered and armed as best as possible with the lowest AC you can manage. I have Jansen cast two cloudkills through the fog of war. As soon as the second cloudkill disipates .I take the boots of speed off of Jan, While Anomen and Minsc make a frontal assault, I circle around behind him. Jan casts Breach and spellthrust. Firkragg will usually knock back the frontal assault,at which point I start attacking him from behind.Giving the frontal assault team time to regroup. Jan will cast a cloudkill on Firkragg, while I run madly around him fleeing for my life, careful to keep the red devil in the center of the Cloudkill. By this time Anomen and Minsc have returned to the attack giving me a reprieve. As soon as he turns on them I attack him from behind once again. This seems to work well on him and the last time I tackled him he curled up and died on my first attempt and I lost no one,though I had to wait a while for Minsc to regain consciousness. I usually tackle Firkragg before leaving for Spellhold so I would guessitimate my party level is around 12-13.
As for the Black Dragon in Suldanesselar I usually go with a frontal assault while Minsc and Jaheira call down lightning on him.The last time through Jan had Mordenkainen's sword memorized and we cast that ,the dragon ignored me ,focused all his attacks on the sword,which he couldn't hurt;and was dead in seconds. HTH

------------------
Grinch
Old 06-22-2001, 12:03 PM   #16
rodimus
The Magister

I fount the Shadow Dragon very easy to kill. I had Keldorn (Hallowed Redeemer), Anomen (dual wield Mace of Disruption +2, Hammer of Thunderbolts), Minsc (Lilacor), Nalia (Tansherons Bow), Jaheira (Sling of Everad), and my Bard (cast Tensers Transformation and dual wield him with Celestial Fury and Daystar), and I didn't need much time, first I lowered the resistenz and then I whacked him away. This worked well against Firkraag, though he is a little harder than the shadow dragon. If you have high level mage, try abi dalzhims horror whilting, your characters can whack and your mages can cast, I love this spell...
Old 06-22-2001, 07:52 PM   #17
Cavern Sniffer
Elminster

Try polymorphing a dragon into a chicken, it'll be the toughest chicken youll ever fight. i dont remember who done it but theres a whole thread devoted to it somewhere, way funny dude.

i dunno why but i detest summoning creatures to fight battles, particularly big ones. ive played four times now and i dont think ive ever summoned any kind of creature yet, tis my way, im not saying anyone else is wrong to do so, i just never ever use any summoning spells at all.

------------------
It's bleedin dark down here, slippery too.
Man, that's a pisser.
Old 06-22-2001, 08:08 PM   #18
Cavern Sniffer
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
General Tips for fighting Dragons

Note: This is assuming you want to fight fair and square, no cloud-kill, no backstabbing at the start, no laying traps galore, etc... ...
im not sure if you can B/S a dragon but why wouldn't it be considered fair and square? Casting C'K is also a fair tactic (although one i dont use) if you use it after the fight has started and not as a pre-emptive strike. Traps, well if your thief has 3 traps then he/she could lay them down (possibly behind said Dragon) and again that could be said to be fair and square. Laying, sleeping, laying of traps is obviously wrong but lining up your quota of traps is a fair tactic, no different to lining up 5 fairly powerful summoned creatures
except that the thief trap is a one shot deal.

------------------
It's bleedin dark down here, slippery too.
Man, that's a pisser.
Old 06-22-2001, 08:52 PM   #19
Willard
Fzoul Chembryl

I'm not sure if this works, never tried it, but here goes:
have a mage cast summoning spells
have jahiera or someone else cast magic resistance on the red dragon
have a mage cast lower resistance
have jahiera cast insect swarm
have any tanks you got with everything you got in the front line
have a mage cast greater malison
have jahiera cast doom once or twice
have a mage ( fairly high level) cast chromatic orb
watch him fall!
too many haves, huh?
Old 06-22-2001, 10:51 PM   #20
homsuplee
Dungeon Master

Shadow dragon is always a dissappointment. Disintegrate never seems to fail.

No dragon is THAT tough given a good well thought out team.

One Fighter Mage with the following spells is usually enough to smack him down.
Blur, Mirror Image, Fireshield, Stoneskin, improved haste, tensers x-form. That should be your main tank. That can take care of most battles in the game.

Back him up with all archers and mages that cast lower resist, and the battle is yours.