Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2001, 01:32 AM   #1
ArmageddonX
Welcomed New User

You haven't called me crazy yet, cmon, get your lips-a flappin. Ok, thats better.

Ok, I'm playing multi-player. I've been playing Black Isle games for quite the while now and have become very good. I decided to give myself a challenge, get through Baldur's Gate 2 with ONLY one, TRUE-classed character at all times. I choose an archer, they seem most adaptable. Well here are some of the problems I've come across and wonder if anyone has any good ideas on how to help.

Traps: I'm neither a mage nor a thief so I can't see them and so far (especially while going through Irenicus' Dungeon) they have dished out more damage than the monsters (not including seven vales). Anyone have any useful suggestions?

Lockpicking: My archer has a lot of strength making it quite adept at breaking open chests or doors, yet every once in a while she fails to be able to, I can't use scrolls, are there any other ways other than smashing for an archer (fighter) to open a door/chest?

Charming: I went up and began to fight the powerful enemies on level two of the seven vales, I'm only level 9 and being on the usual difficulty is making it quite hard to succeed. I am able to attack only one at a time by utilizing the stairs but that darn Pooky creature (mephit familiar) is really adept at casting dire charm. If my main char, or really only char, gets charmed it's just like I die and I have to load. Does anyone know of any items near the begining that would be useful in defending against this type of attack?

Lastly, you need not worry if I am unable to continue at some later date. If forced, I can always export this archer into some other game someday later. Thanks for you help, ahead of time.
Old 01-21-2001, 03:43 AM   #2
Rikard T'Aranaxz
Harper

Your sign isn't really true is it
if you liked overkill you would made a way to strong party of 6
anyways

if you find crom feayr that could raise you bashing chanse
Also Draw upon Hol Might might help with that
about the traps
you could save and remeber where traps are hiding and avoid them
BUT
i would say being a Conjurer in a total single game is easier and funner
Old 01-21-2001, 02:11 PM   #3
ArmageddonX
Welcomed New User

1st: When my character levels up, she should be strong enough to cause some major overkill, for right now, she needs to be careful.

2nd: I kinda have an evil reason I'm doing this. Having only one character, my favorite character, allows me to learn every facet about archer fighters. When I actually fight Jon Irenicus, I'm thinking I'm going to duplicate my fully leveled up archer who might of been able to take him on alone and clone her so I have six of em, how's that for overkill?

3rd: Isn't the Crom Faeyr a non-ranged weapon? oh, you mean weild it for when I try to break a chest? Hmm... Draw upon holy might, might help, but I kinda doubt it. (Only applies to my character)

4th: Most of the traps that plague me are in places like Jon Irenicus' Wife's Chambers where you get the pommel jewel, the portal key, and a bunch of other stuff.

5th: A conjurer? What am I going to do, summon a xvart to attack Cambion the demon? Or maybe I should summon a kobold to kill Firkraag, yeah thats it. Kobold vs. Kirkraag, I'm already betting on the kobold!

I think I'm gonna post something on that...
Old 01-21-2001, 02:32 PM   #4
Giles

Actually, summon 5 elementals, cast every beneficial spell you have (ESPECIALLY HASTE) and then start tossing invoker spells light Lbolt,Acid Arrow, Magic Missle and Debufs like Pierce, Breach etc.

Old 01-21-2001, 03:02 PM   #5
ArmageddonX
Welcomed New User

That's all fine and dandy but... my archer can sit back with some nice fire protection, a Gesen bow, or something else good, a quiver full of piercing arrows, and some popcorn for the eventual death; oh and I love milkduds! I see no reason why, when I get powerful enough, I need to ruffle my own feathers to get the job done. "You show me an assassin that cannot keep his cool and I'll show you a dead assassin."
Old 01-21-2001, 04:43 PM   #6
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

You should be playing a swashbuckler/mage instead. You need melee too you know. The mage can cast stoneskin and elementals. To kill those people in the inn you need at least one elemental, cause the dwarf is pretty good, but he cannot hit an elemental. The archer is a very good kit, but I think it is impossible to beat the game with just an archer. Maybe if you use shadowkeeper and give him very good stats and some cool items, but just maybe.
Old 01-21-2001, 05:07 PM   #7
Rikard T'Aranaxz
Harper

he wanted to play a single class
anyway i said conjurer coz divining spell are the least usefull
you get a lot of L8 and L9 spell when playing a single mage
Old 01-21-2001, 05:32 PM   #8
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Yes he wanted to play a single class, but just one right? That is what I thought.

No, it is not good to choose a specialized mage. If you dual, you get the same bonus as the special mage and all the spells. This doesn't work as a multiclass. Maybe I was wrong in suggesting you to chose a swashbuckler/mage (I was thinking about the thief-skills), but instead you can choose a berserker/mage or a kensai/mage. A cleric/mage is also very good, and you can chose the cleric to be a talos priest (good special ability).
Old 01-21-2001, 05:32 PM   #9
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Yes he wanted to play a single class, but just one right? That is what I thought.

No, it is not good to choose a specialized mage. If you dual, you get the same bonus as the special mage and all the spells. This doesn't work as a multiclass. Maybe I was wrong in suggesting you to chose a swashbuckler/mage (I was thinking about the thief-skills), but instead you can choose a berserker/mage or a kensai/mage. A cleric/mage is also very good, and you can chose the cleric to be a talos priest (good special ability).
Old 01-21-2001, 09:52 PM   #10
G.W.

He won't dual class though--he just wants a single class. The best he can do is to play a swashbuckler. Then he can get through the traps. Maybe an assassin as well. A blade could probably make it through the game with a lot of resting to use his find trap and knock spell. Indeed, the blade may be the most successful of them all, once you know all the blade's tricks. I assume the character will have full gear from the start. (Though you find +2 chain immediately.)